mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Thoughts on tire size

I've been riding 27.5 now for 3 months, started with some WTB Wolverines that were tall but aweful in every other respect IMO. Switched to the 2.25 RR performance tires and killed the rear in 2 rides. Now have the 2.25 RR SS version on the rear and I think it's a great rear tire but not happy yet with the 2.25 RR up front. Considering trying something bigger and looking for thoughts from those who've ridden both the smaller 2.1-2.25 offerings as well as the big volume 2.35-2.4 tires out now. My short list has the following to try next up front:

Hans Dampf 2.35 (~800g)
    NN 2.35 (~700g)
    Maxxis HR 2.3 (865g claimed)
    Michelin Wild Grip'R Adv reinforced 2.35 (1070g)
    Michelin Wild Grip'R Adv 2.35 (???)
    Hans Dampf 2.25 (~695g)
    Vee Rubber TT 2.4 (721g)

Am I going to lose a ton of Rolling resistance going to these tires from the RR just up front? I have HD 2.35 Super Gravity tires on my 26" DH bike and they're big and aggressive, not sure I need all that coming from the RR but would like more volume and better cornering grip/control in soft/loamy trails since MA became a tropical rain forest this past month. RR washes out when pushed too hard up front.
    Last edited by kburati; 07-16-2013 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    I've been riding 27.5 now for 3 months, started with some WTB Wolverines that were tall but aweful in every other respect IMO. Switched to the 2.25 RR performance tires and killed the rear in 2 rides. Now have the 2.25 RR SS version on the rear and I think it's a great rear tire but not happy yet with the 2.25 RR up front. Considering trying something bigger and looking for thoughts from those who've ridden both the smaller 2.1-2.25 offerings as well as the big volume 2.35-2.4 tires out now. My short list has the following to try next up front:

Hans Dampf 2.35
    NN 2.35
    Maxxis HR 2.3
    Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.35
    Hans Dampf 2.25
    Vee Rubber TT 2.4

Am I going to lose a ton of Rolling resistance going to these tires from the RR just up front? I have HD 2.35 Super Gravity tires on my 26" DH bike and they're big and aggressive, not sure I need all that coming from the RR but would like more volume and better cornering grip/control in soft/loamy trails since MA became a tropical rain forest this past month. RR washes out when pushed too hard up front.
    I personally don't feel the rolling resistance on the front tires, it's more the weight that I feel. But RRs are more XC than AM so you're gonna have to play with more weight and likely some rolling resistance if you want more grip. Grip=friction. No way around that one.

I love my HD 2.35 front and NN 2.35 rear combo. Excellent grip, squishy traction and forgiveness. NNs do wear fast but I don't mind for what they make up in gobs of traction.

Continental is also coming out with 27.5 versions of their venerable Moutain King and Trail King. I love the tread on those as well and would've waited for those for my replacement rear tire if the NN weren't so worn out now. Rumor has it the Conti's are due out end of summer/early fall. Those might be worth the wait too as they're supposed to be way cheaper than Schwalbe's, like around $45 vs. $89
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    I really liked the neomotos. I'm in NE too and they are great tires. Running Hans Damph's now and I'd say they are both pretty similar in grip and weight. Pacentis may roll a bit better, the HD's do seem to have more bite, but the differences are small.

I like RR's too, haven't ridden them on the 650, but I've found they wash out as well.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So are there 4 different versions of the Michelin Wild Grip'R 650b tire? The picture below appears to be the Advanced Dual Ply Reinforced 2.35 at a whopping 1070g (see marking on pkg).

The one at this link is a 2.35 Advanced Reinforced with a claimed wt of 702g Michelin Wild Gripr2 Adv Reinforced 650b 27.5) MTB Tire at BikeTiresDirect Seemingly the same tire yet claimed at 368g less than the one in the picture?

The two versions at this link 2.25/2.35 Advanced are listed with claimed weights of 545g/560g respectively: Michelin Wild Gripr2 Advanced 650b 27.5) MTB Tire at BikeTiresDirect yet someone on MTBR reviewed the 2.25 and stated that they're rather heavy at 714g Michelin Wild Grip'r2 650b Tire ... Feedback? so the claimed 545g on the site above seems way off. At 169g off for the 2.25 I'd guess the 2.35 non-reinforced version has got to be in the 800g range?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on tire size-wild-gripr.jpg  

jrm
    mtbr member
    So far my wolverine (r) and 2.35 NN (f) set up is working well.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

NedwannaB
    What bike??
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For my ride it's an Intense Carbine. Not sure if you were asking the Op or the last guy who posted Wolverine rear/NN front

mtbr member
    I like the Hans Dampf in 2.35 front and rear for all around. 2.4 fronts start getting too heavy for general trail riding. 2.1 rear you might notice a little less rolling resistance . I am going to try the nobby nic next time for the rear in 2.35. I'm also riding a Carbine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SD853 View Post
    I like the Hans Dampf in 2.35 front and rear for all around. 2.4 fronts start getting too heavy for general trail riding. 2.1 rear you might notice a little less rolling resistance . I am going to try the nobby nic next time for the rear in 2.35. I'm also riding a Carbine.
    How do you find the HD 2.35 fit in the rear on the Carbine? I had a WTB Wolverine 2.2 for a while that was real tall and seemed a little close on the CS.

mtbr member
    How do you find the HD 2.35 fit in the rear on the Carbine? I had a WTB Wolverine 2.2 for a while that was real tall and seemed a little close on the CS.
    No problems with the Kendas or Schwalbe

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    The smaller size of the Schwalbe Hans Dampf would be best. Schwalbe is a nice quality tire brand.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    The smaller size of the Schwalbe Hans Dampf would be best. Schwalbe is a nice quality tire brand.
    You saying the Hans Dampf 2.25 over the Nobby Nic 2.35? I'd assume the NN would roll better even though it's much bigger yet still have a lot more traction than I'm getting with the 2.25 RR up front. Hans Dampf would undoubtedly offer the most grip but would it roll as well or is it a non-issue being a front tire only?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    You saying the Hans Dampf 2.25 over the Nobby Nic 2.35? I'd assume the NN would roll better even though it's much bigger yet still have a lot more traction than I'm getting with the 2.25 RR up front. Hans Dampf would undoubtedly offer the most grip but would it roll as well or is it a non-issue being a front tire only?
    It depends on if you want less rolling resistance. The Nobby Nic will have less rolling resistance with good grip, but the Hans Dampf is just way more grippy.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

NedwannaB
    For my ride it's an Intense Carbine. Not sure if you were asking the Op or the last guy who posted Wolverine rear/NN front
    To jrm. It was tagged on his post. That's how it works. Kind of confusing with the new format for some.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    To jrm. It was tagged on his post. That's how it works. Kind of confusing with the new format for some.
    That doesn't translate in linear view though...

Paper or plastic?
    I think he got a Burner.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    I think he got a Burner.
    Right. Since we're talking 3rd person here, for some reason was thinking "he" was running 650's on a Sultan at one point.
    Last edited by JMac47; 07-18-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo

NedwannaB
    Carbine, nice!

I have Wolvs and others but not any Schwalbes. Thoughts on that setup? Have you run a NN in back?

Thanks in advance.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    That doesn't translate in linear view though...
    I'm a bit linear intolerant......

Paper or plastic?
    Right. Since we're talking 3rd person here, for some reason was thinking "he" was running 650's on a Sultan at one point.
    No idea. I only stalk JRM through Facebook.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member

650b volume

Considering trying something bigger and looking for thoughts from those who've ridden both the smaller 2.1-2.25 offerings as well as the big volume 2.35-2.4 tires out now. My short list has the following to try next up front:

Hans Dampf 2.35 (~800g)
    NN 2.35 (~700g)
    Maxxis HR 2.3 (865g claimed)
    Michelin Wild Grip'R Adv reinforced 2.35 (1070g)
    Michelin Wild Grip'R Adv 2.35 (???)
    Hans Dampf 2.25 (~695g)
    Vee Rubber TT 2.4 (721g)

If you have used 26" 2.35 HD, then for reference the same make in 650b does not have the same casing size/volume as the 26", blocks/tread seems the same. The 650b version in 2.35" is smaller and pretty round even in 25mm inner rims (was bummed on size). For me, this washes and pinchflat even more in front. I think the 2.35 WG has a better profile, good front

650b Chunky Monkey would be nice.