mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thoughts on blur trc conversion

Looking for thoughts from other converters on the blur trc. I just offloaded my cube hpc 650 and bought a blur trc (looking for more xc oriented yet still aggressive geometry). I was planning to move all my parts from the 650b specific cube to the trc. I'm having second thoughts though, I was going to lower my 34 ctd to 130mm but even at that length the axle to crown is gonna be 524.4. Do you think that's gonna rake the front end to much? Also, do I have to shim the shock to clear a 2.25 tire? I'm getting various reports from a couple locals who have done the conversion...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    some have to shimm and others don't. i have a 2.2 racing ralph on mine and didn't have to but i'v read that some have had to with the same tire.
    my lefty set at 120mm is 488-490 so apples to oranges. a 10mm shorter stem made it alot easier to pull the front up on my tallboy. if it came down to it a 10mm longer could make a difference on the trc. and still be far from removing the fun factor and ease of getting the front off the ground on bumps and jumps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had to shim mine 5mm but I'm running a NN 2.35.

As for your fork, why not just try it before adjusting it? Many folks adjust forks w/o even trying different configurations. I had a 130mm Velvet, then switched to a 140mm 27.5 Revelation. I cant feel a difference in steering and for sure the front end is taller and more offset. Especially since my rear travel is only 120mm or less after shimming.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

My 34 is 160mm travel. I never want to stray to far from manufacturers recommended settings. At the moment I'm trying to sell the 34 and buy a shorter travel fork. If the fox doesn't sell then I'm gonna lower it to 130mm or send the talas in to be upgraded to the new hydro talas and set at 120/140. As far as the rear tire goes, I'm planning to get either a kenda honey badger 2.2, continental xking 2.2, or a schwalbe knobby nic 2.25...

mtbr member
    Have you researched whether you can lower a Fox 34 to 130mm of travel?
    IIRC, you might only be able to go to 140.

As a side note, the new RS forks, instead of some spacers, require a whole new air spring shaft to adjust travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I'm contemplating an xfusion velvet at 140, or a white bros loop at 130 or 140. The rock shox stuff is nice but I don't have the money for one. Either of the forks I'm looking at will allow me to throw a 26" setup back on I I'm not happy with the 650b conversion...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by galbraithrider View Post
    I'm contemplating an xfusion velvet at 140, or a white bros loop at 130 or 140. The rock shox stuff is nice but I don't have the money for one. Either of the forks I'm looking at will allow me to throw a 26" setup back on I I'm not happy with the 650b conversion...
    FWIW, I just mounted a Velvet set at 140mm on my converted Nickel. I had a Fox 32 Vanilla. Just testing it out around the neighborhood and a quick loop on the trails down the street, I could feel the difference in the steering/handling with the additional offset of the Xfusion. Need a real ride to confirm, but so far, very positive.