mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Thinking of switching from TBLTa to a 27.5 and want to use as many parts as possible

First I freely admit I'm rather new to MTB (less that 2 years) so if the answer to my question is obvious I apologize. I'm very intrigued by 27.5 because while I like my TBLTa it just isn't easy to hop/jump and I'm out there to have fun, not set Strava times. There is a SC demo near me soon so will be trying out all their 27.5 offerings directly but in the mean time I'm trying to gather info in preparation for making a change.

Unless I'm missing something, my plan is to order a new frame/shock, fork and wheelset, transfer all drivetrain/brakes/controls over and then sell the TBLTa frame, fork and wheels to recoup as much as possible.

Reason I want to do it this way rather than just sell complete and buy complete is I've already upgraded the TBLTa to XT brakes, XT front/rear derailleur, XTR shifters, Thomson seatpost/stem and a Renthal bar.

Am I off base or missing anything? TIA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The other parts that might not swap over are the bottom bracket, headset, and front derailleur. If you have the original parts from the TBLT before you upgraded, I'd personally put those back on and sell the bike as a whole build.

dwt
    mtbr member

Thinking of switching from TBLTa to a 27.5 and want to use as many parts as p...

I've always had better luck selling parts than complete bikes, which I do on eBay
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The other parts that might not swap over are the bottom bracket, headset, and front derailleur. If you have the original parts from the TBLT before you upgraded, I'd personally put those back on and sell the bike as a whole build.
    Thanks, much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I've always had better luck selling parts than complete bikes, which I do on eBay
    That has been my experience too, had a lot of trouble selling my first TB complete when I got the TBLT but was able to sell excess parts I stripped off the TBLT easily.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would tell you to demo a Bronson and a Nomad.
    If you want to jump, hop and have fun, these are your two main choices.

The Nomad is a great DH fun bike, but can be heavy to climb with.

The Blur ( which is basically what a Bronson is ) is a great climbing bike that is okay at DH, jumps and having fun.

I demo'd both and ended up ,demo'ing, buying a bike that can do both well( Mojo HD, which can be run with 26" and 27.5).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Looked at Santa Cruz website and all the 27.5s use the same headset, bottom bracket, and front derailleur configuration as the TBLT so should be fine so long as I stay with SC (which is likely since that's what I'll be demoing).