mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Thinking about a Soma B, want some thoughts.

Ok, just a few facts, before the question comes out. 39, 5'7", 175 to 180. I ride moto & mtb. Approx. 10 years ago, I purchased a Haro X1. This was a bike that tried to kinda do everything, but really didn't do anything well. 2 years ago, I bought a Giant Talon 1. I ride mainly at Folsom Lake, and the 29 works fairly well out there. I have ridden the bike at the Flume Trail, Downieville, Auburn, and a couple other places. Downieville was the only place that I didn't like the ride, but manly attributed to the lack of rear suspension.

I've kinda got it in my head that while my 29er works well, I don't like it in the tight stuff, switch back. It rolls well, but just not as agile as I think I could be. I realize these are characteristics of 29ers. I also think there may be something to shorter riders not working as well on the bigger wheeled bikes. Maybe not everywhere, but def. not in the area's that 29ers are weaker.

I'm thinking about getting a Soma Bside 14.5 inch frame. I'm thinking the bike would be really nimble, yet retain some of the advantages of the bigger wheeled bikes. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

One more caveat, I'm building a pump track at my house on Sunday.

I'm thinki

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Soma B-Side is a great way to get into 650B/275. They're really inexpensive and built well. I don't think you can go wrong. I've had mine for a couple of years now. Built with an X-Fusion Velvet, 120mm travel, Stan's rims, comes in at under 25lbs. All the cliches are true about 650B taking the best attributes of the two other wheel sizes. Do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by titus247 View Post
    Soma B-Side is a great way to get into 650B/275. They're really inexpensive and built well. I don't think you can go wrong. I've had mine for a couple of years now. Built with an X-Fusion Velvet, 120mm travel, Stan's rims, comes in at under 25lbs. All the cliches are true about 650B taking the best attributes of the two other wheel sizes. Do it.
    Am I on track w/ the size? 14.5? or next size up 16.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfrider View Post
    Am I on track w/ the size? 14.5? or next size up 16.5
    I'm your height and faced the same question when considering a B-side-kinda between sizes. I ended up going with another frame, but I would recommend you measure your current bike's reach (saddle to bars) and make a choice based on top tube and preferred stem length...bearing in mind that a shorter stem generally means slightly snappier handling

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm also 5'7" and generally ride medium bikes with a TT length around 23", so I would go up to the 16.5" personally.

Regarding the wheel size, I do think it may work better for smaller guys in some cases. I have a Niner SIR9, a Santa Cruz Tallboy, and a Santa Cruz TRc with 650b wheels on it. I like them all, but the 650b TRc just seems to fit better, it's easier to manual, I feel more balanced on it going over obstacles, and it's just more fun overall. As a result, I'm considering a B-Side or a Jamis Dragon 650 to replace the SIR9.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ride a B-side. I'm 5'8" w/ a 30" inseam and the 16.5 fits me perfectly. I run a 100mm stem and a straight seat post with my saddle right in the middle of the fore-aft adjustment. You would probably run a shorter stem and/or have your saddle further forward than me.
    I recommend the 16.5. I'm sure you could franken-bike a 14.5 with a super long stem and 400mm setback seat post but that's your call. The 16.5 will get you around your pump track fine with the saddle dropped.
    -Carlos

Flux