Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Are there any good 650B FS bikes that are more XC and less AM?

I know the market is getting flooded with new FS 650B, but they all seem to have more travel than I probably need. I've been primarily a rigid rider for a while now. I'm not sure I need/want 140mm of travel. I am interested in slacker and shorter chainstays. But I'm not sure there is a FS bike like I'm looking for yet. Anyone have any suggestions? If there isn't something, Maybe I'll look at the Jet 9 instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Jamis XCT 650 is a 130 mm bike

just some guy
    I see there is a 650b Scott Spark on the horizon, being ridden by the Swisspower team.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Are there any good 650B FS bikes that are more XC and less AM?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    LenzSport Revelation 650B XC/Race oriented.
    "80mm, 100mm, or 120mm fork"

mtbr member
    Ventana is coming out with a 4" travel model soon, it may already be available. On the more budget end, the Cannondale Rush makes for a nice conversion. One of Jamis's shorter travel models is also designed to run either 26" or 650b, according to a thread I read around here someplace.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Don't think what you're looking for is made yet short of converting a 26'er to 650B and adding an angle set type head set.

KHS makes the 2500/3500 120mm bikes but the CS length is 17.5". The Jamis bikes have 17.7" CS which honestly sounds crazy long but my 2011 B2 was really a nice bike, snappy yet stable and fun.

I'd be very curious to see if a 100mm Marin Rift Zones (with the Quad Link 2 suspension) would accept 650B wheels. I see those being blown out on ebay for some great prices and could potentially make a cool XC ripper.

A new Ventana 120mm 650B bike with a custom HA of your choice might be the best bet. Give em a call.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    I've been testing a Morewood 100mm race frame (based on the Zula w/ a 120 fork) that I helped develop... so far it's been a fantastic XC race bike. We'll probably import some of these in the very near future if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
    KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    I've been testing a Morewood 100mm race frame (based on the Zula w/ a 120 fork) that I helped develop... so far it's been a fantastic XC race bike. We'll probably import some of these in the very near future if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
    KP
    This sounds like "the ticket!"

Pics!!!

MattSavage
    About to drop the ball on one of these...

DENGFU NEW FULL SUSPENSION FRAME 27.5ER MTB FRAME

or this...

2013 newest design 27.5er full suspension carbon frame, 27.5er carbon frame full specialized, View 27.5er carbon frame full specialized, OEM Product Details from Shenzhen Hongfu Sports Goods Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

BB30, 142 thru axle in the rear... 700 bucks... what can it hurt? A lot cheaper than the Scott coming out, probably couldn't tell the difference.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    I'm running my Santa Cruz Nickel 650 at 140mm and it works great, probably a little more travel than I need but I haven't felt compelled to adjust it to 130mm which is totally possible with my current set-up.

I was looking for something like a 120mm FS frame for my build last fall but couldn't pass up the deal on the SC Nickel but I haven't regretted it. If I raced I guess I would try to get into 120mm bike but I'm fine now.

At the end of the day I think guys like us would really like an Epic 650b, would be perfect for me and where I ride. If I knew someone that had built one I'd trade my Santa Cruz for it but thats about it.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cheers,
    KP
    That look interesting. How short is the CS? Where do these frames come from, and from whom will they be available?

I also just saw the MTBR sneak peak for a new Giant: Sneak Peak: Giant 650b Enduro Bike | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member

swag ho Administrator
    They are not a not available yet from the Tier 1 manufacturers. The reason is not the bullseye for 650b that Fox targeted when they made their first fork a 4.5 lb 160mm travel fork. That's why all the bikes are heavy and have big travel.

But the next wave is coming of 24 lbs 140mm travel bike. They'll use this fork among others.

Sneak Peek: Fox 650b/27.5 140mm Fork | Mountain Bike Review

The true advantage of 650b over 29er occurs when there is a lot of travel.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

With all due respect, I think that statement is highly dependent on terrain and rider preference. Though that is the justification that has been used by major manufacturers to market 650b bikes, I don't think it's a very accurate generalization.

My riding is very cross country but I prefer 650b over 29 or 26. If it hadn't come along, I'd still be riding short travel FS 26" bikes--29 just doesn't do much for me. (though I do enjoy my 29er hardtail singlespeed as a change of pace bike)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    With all due respect, I think that statement is highly dependent on terrain and rider preference. Though that is the justification that has been used by major manufacturers to market 650b bikes, I don't think it's a very accurate generalization.

My riding is very cross country but I prefer 650b over 29 or 26. If it hadn't come along, I'd still be riding short travel FS 26" bikes--29 just doesn't do much for me. (though I do enjoy my 29er hardtail singlespeed as a change of pace bike)
    I'm with you Steve.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I completely agree.

That idea is basically saying the only problem with 29ers is that they don't have enough travel. In my opinion that is the least of a 29ers issues. Wheel/tire weight, overall bike length and chainstay length are all much bigger issues to me with 29ers. Its pretty hard to get a 29er through a tight, steep, uphill switchback!
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

650b me

Yes! This describes me perfectly too. Obviously, there is demand for short-travel 650b. Bring it already!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    That look interesting. How short is the CS? Where do these frames come from, and from whom will they be available?
    The CS is 430mm long (16.93"). Since there is no current US distributor, I will likely be importing them. The frames are made in South Africa at the Morewood factory. Short video here: Handmade - Morewood Bikes - Pinkbike

Cheers,
    KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    The CS is 430mm long (16.93"). Since there is no current US distributor, I will likely be importing them. The frames are made in South Africa at the Morewood factory. Short video here: Handmade - Morewood Bikes - Pinkbike

Cheers,
    KP

This is good news. There used to be a Morewood USA distributor in North Carolina - did they not continue with their relationship?

A few guys up here used to ride Shovas and Shova LTs and I was always impressed with how well made the frames were - dare I say - a lot more impressed with their quality for single pivots vs. Santa Cruz when the Heckler and Bullit were all the rage.

Now I think some of their frames in addition to the XC single pivots feature the DW split pivot suspension design correct?

Keep us posted on your Morewood Bikes relationship Kirk!

NedwannaB

Cheers,
    KP
    Cool behind the scenes goings on video. Thanks Kirk!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    They are not a not available yet from the Tier 1 manufacturers. The reason is not the bullseye for 650b that Fox targeted when they made their first fork a 4.5 lb 160mm travel fork. That's why all the bikes are heavy and have big travel.

But the next wave is coming of 24 lbs 140mm travel bike. They'll use this fork among others.

Sneak Peek: Fox 650b/27.5 140mm Fork | Mountain Bike Review

fc
    When did MTBR go from a consumer based information sharing board to just another PinkBike wannabe? Your recent posts on 650B have been full of industry shrill speak. Tier 1? Sorry, but ad budgets aside, Speci/Trek/Giant etal? Are NOT tier 1, Turner (Burner) Ventana (Bastardo, Zeus, Alpino), High QUALITY manufacturers are Tier 1, not Pump out as many units as we cans manufacturers.

And the "true advantage" you speak of as if fact because you said it? Cannot be further from the truth, as being attested by the multitude of answers here already. It's a an another option/tool, just like no single suspension design (or lack there of) is king, no size wheel is king. There are positive and negatives to each. In my OPINION and experience 650B has the least comprimises but that is just MY experience.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    May 2005

2011 Marin Rift Zone's

100mm travel 26" bike but just by looking at pics it should convert to 650B easily (lots of Marins with Quad Link 2 do). They are blowing these out on ebay for some decent prices and if you're into a short travel ripper might be worth a look.

Are there any good 650B FS bikes that are more XC and less AM?-us-mtfrs-rift_zone_xc8-c1.jpg
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    This is good news. There used to be a Morewood USA distributor in North Carolina - did they not continue with their relationship?

A few guys up here used to ride Shovas and Shova LTs and I was always impressed with how well made the frames were - dare I say - a lot more impressed with their quality for single pivots vs. Santa Cruz when the Heckler and Bullit were all the rage.

Now I think some of their frames in addition to the XC single pivots feature the DW split pivot suspension design correct?

Keep us posted on your Morewood Bikes relationship Kirk!
    M,

I don't really know much about the previous distributor(s), but the quality of Morewood's manufacturing is world class; easily as good as the best work from our favorite USA made brands.

Yes, there are a couple new Split Pivot bikes coming out; the 150mm Sukuma and 170mm Jabula. Both are 26" wheeled bikes... nothing in 650b / 27.5 as far as I know.

Cheers,
    KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

Uncle
    With all due respect, I think that statement is highly dependent on terrain and rider preference.
    +2. FC, I know you test a bunch more bikes than I will ever get to ride, so no disrespect meant. I'm another 6'er that wants no more than 120mm travel rear, and doesn't want rear suspension at all unless the the wheel is 650b. Glad our current USA brands are starting to dabble in it, but I'm officially a hold out until what the OP described appears.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast