mtbr member
    Oct 2014

test rode my first 650b

Nine 60 - Felt Bicycles

7 Sixty - Felt Bicycles

X-Caliber 8 - Trek Bicycle

have a 26, thought I wanted a 29- went to LBS and did not like it one bit. he then put me on 27.5 and I liked it a lot. now my problem is which one is the better bike. im really all new to this and thought I had it all figured out. I did at least walk of the store without making a impulse buy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My next bike will likely be an Xcal 8 29er....to get it in a 27.5, you'll need the 15.5 inch frame, which means you better be like....5 foot flat lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SRRD-RacinG View Post
    My next bike will likely be an Xcal 8 29er....to get it in a 27.5, you'll need the 15.5 inch frame, which means you better be like....5 foot flat lol

Yeah I'm about 5'4 so I got that covered lol. I rode a small today and it felt better then medium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The image is from Trek's website so you'll need to try out their frames, too....I'd go to a Trek shop and try any 2015 Xcaliber in the 13.5 or 15.5 sized frame. The Xcal model range has gotten great reviews. But those FELT bikes are looking good, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I test rode the XCal 29er and also a Giant Talon 650b. The 29er just felt very awkward for me and I am 6ft 265lbs. I decided on the 650b and I am completely happy. Just felt like I was in much more control and it didn't feel like I was riding a bus.

Good luck deciding

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe03 View Post
    I test rode the XCal 29er and also a Giant Talon 650b. The 29er just felt very awkward for me and I am 6ft 265lbs. I decided on the 650b and I am completely happy. Just felt like I was in much more control and it didn't feel like I was riding a bus.

Good luck deciding
    My thoughts also, I rode the 650 then got on the 29, and man it felt weird. I felt top heavy and almost unbalanced. I know I know, it's only a inch half taller, but my mind& body was playing tricks on me.

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm

I rode a 19.5" frame In a 29er hart tail. perfect fit for that bike but I did feel way up in the air.

Now I ride a 19.5" frame on a full squish 27.5 and It feels like a perfect fit. I no longer feel 'purched' way up high..

I don't use near as much energy now that I don't have to fight the much greater gyro effect of wagon wheels when I needed to turn on a dime and I can use my watts for other things now that I don't have to spin up those heavy hoops.

I think I shrunk, I checked,, now 5' 11" and 175 pounds.
    Scott Spark 760
    I no longer clip In,
    got a better seat, and a dropper post.
    Other than It's Bone stock.
    It Just works :P