I think I need to Upgrade

New question here. Test fit without a wheel?

I am thinking about converting 1 or more of my bikes to 650B, but I don't have any wheels to test fit with. Is there a way that I can measure for clearance before investing money into building a set of wheels. I have an 2005 Turner Flux with a Horst link rear suspension, and an 04 Burner that I might convert also. I know that the 650B wheel will fit the forks that I have, but not sure about the frames. Anyone able to help me out?

nothing relevant to say
    Why do you ride such OLD bikes?? nah, just kidding. I haven't found either if these frames around to do a test. I have tire specs on my blog, just use the search window at it's top.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    I am thinking about converting 1 or more of my bikes to 650B, but I don't have any wheels to test fit with. Is there a way that I can measure for clearance before investing money into building a set of wheels. I have an 2005 Turner Flux with a Horst link rear suspension, and an 04 Burner that I might convert also. I know that the 650B wheel will fit the forks that I have, but not sure about the frames. Anyone able to help me out?
    The guys at Turner are into the 650B thing... give them a call, they can probably tell you for sure!

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

PacentiCycleDesign

www.derbyrims.com
    Here’s a simple method. The 650b tires are 1/2 inch in radius larger than a 26 inch tire of the same size (+/- a couple mm). You'll need at least 1/8 inch more for irregularities in tire size and stretch of the tire as it ages. 3/4 inch clearance over a 26 inch tire should be plenty.

Measure the thickness of your fingers or some other round object like a marble until you find a section width that is 3/4 inch. Then with your 26 inch wheel on your bike use your finger to feel if there is enough clearance from the stays, also deflate your shock and be sure there would be bottom travel tire clearance with the seat tube.

If using a 3/4 inch spacer with a 26 inch wheel is a tight fit, only using an actual 650b wheel and tire will tell for sure.

If I remember correctly the HL and TNT 5-Spots were clearing, but not the shorter travel bikes. I know that Gregg at Turner has been experimenting with 650b using the different stay parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    Why do you ride such OLD bikes??

HEY MY BIKE CAN KICK YOUR BIKES BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ride them because I don't sell my frames, I ride them till I break them then I move on to the next victim er... frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    The guys at Turner are into the 650B thing... give them a call, they can probably tell you for sure!

Cheers,

KP

Kirk,

Am I seeing this correctly, the overal diameter of the Neo-Moto is about 702 mm?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Kirk,

Am I seeing this correctly, the overal diameter of the Neo-Moto is about 702 mm?
    Yes, the tire ranges from 702mm - 704mm depending on the rim it's mounted to and the tire pressure you run.

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

PacentiCycleDesign

mnt bike laws of physics
    a 650b Turner?
    Me looking forward to that

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Yes, the tire ranges from 702mm - 704mm depending on the rim it's mounted to and the tire pressure you run.

Cheers,

KP

Well if that's the case I'll throw my road bike wheel on there for a simple check to see if I am in the ballpark.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Won't fit on a 2006 Flux...

I have a 2006/2007 Flux (TNT rear)...borrowed a friend's 650B front wheel and tried it in the rear triangle just for fit. Nojoy...not enough clearance at the front of the chain stays...couldn't get the wheel into the drops.

I've heard that the Flux and the Spot (and Burner, I believe) have the same rear triangle...the different BB location on the Spot accounts for the slightly longer chainstay lenght (16.9" versus 16.75"...this from memory, so best to check my math on the Turner website), but think that's irrelevant, since the clearance problem is at the chainstay yoke, which would not vary from bike-to-bike.

I think it still might be worth a call to Turner all the same...get the word straight from the top, plus spread a bit of interest for a 650B Turner at the same time (I'd be in for one!).

-Raynman59

My Flux is a Horst Link so I am holding out hope until I have confirmation that it won't fit.