Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    19

    Swapping shock on Jamis 650B

    I'm thinking of swapping out my stock RS Monarch for a Fox RP type shock with a lock out. Would like a firmer suspension. Is this a good idea or bad? Any suggestions? Thx.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattack View Post
    I'm thinking of swapping out my stock RS Monarch for a Fox RP type shock with a lock out. Would like a firmer suspension. Is this a good idea or bad? Any suggestions? Thx.
    I prefer Fox products over RS. A custom tuned Fox would be even better.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,156
    Think I would try the custom tune option from X-Fusion on the 02 RCX shock. Give em all the info and they'll valve it and set it up for you, the bike and ride conditions.

    X Fusion Shox - RCX

    Did you try increasing the IFP pressure on the Monarch? Standard is 250psi and you can go as high as 300 or low as 200. That should firm it up quite a bit. I dropped mine to 200psi and while it now rides better I still can't get full travel. For my 185lbs geared up weight and the conditions I ride the shock needs a LL tune vs the current MM.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    93

    Smile

    Thx Ski dad. Does running a higher pressure make the shock more firm? Sounds like a stupid question buuuut...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,156
    It should firm it up some but mostly increase bottom out resistance if you increase the pressure.

    In my case I lowered it as I can't get full travel even with 40% sag. It helped the ride for sure but I still can't get that last 10mm of shock travel from a 50mm stroke shock. Yes I want it all and in essence my 130mm travel bike is really 120mm right now
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fskywalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    253
    I switch mine to a Fox RP-23 since prefer Fox products. (Image below)



    Is your frame like mine or the newer MP4 format?
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2
    Gone, but not forgotten:GT LTS-3, GT Zascar Expert Carbon, Look 986, Giant Anthem Advanced

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    93
    Yep I have the 2012 frame. I like the pro-pedal feature of the Fox. I upped the pressure in my Monarch and like the results for climbing but it did seem to bob a bit on the pavement. It is also a noticeable harsher ride. At 30% sag it seemed supper cush. At 25% not so much...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Think I would try the custom tune option from X-Fusion on the 02 RCX shock. Give em all the info and they'll valve it and set it up for you, the bike and ride conditions.

    X Fusion Shox - RCX

    Did you try increasing the IFP pressure on the Monarch? Standard is 250psi and you can go as high as 300 or low as 200. That should firm it up quite a bit. I dropped mine to 200psi and while it now rides better I still can't get full travel. For my 185lbs geared up weight and the conditions I ride the shock needs a LL tune vs the current MM.
    Great advice. I just have to figure out what IFP, LL and MM are.

    I do wish my frame would break and they'd replace it with the MP4.
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 11-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,156
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Great advice. I just have to figure out what IFP, LL and MM are.

    I do with my frame would break and they'd replace it with the MP4.
    IFP = Internal floating piston This piston resides in the shock shaft
    LL = Low compression Low rebound
    MM = Medium compression and Medium reboound
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  10. #10
    bikeaholic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    It should firm it up some but mostly increase bottom out resistance if you increase the pressure.

    In my case I lowered it as I can't get full travel even with 40% sag. It helped the ride for sure but I still can't get that last 10mm of shock travel from a 50mm stroke shock. Yes I want it all and in essence my 130mm travel bike is really 120mm right now
    Some of the Monarch's come with internal rubber rings (shims) on the inside of the air can. If you have trouble getting full travel with the correct amount of sag, then just open up the can and play with the number of spacers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •