NedwannaB

Superlight Converts

I know the newer generation 26" models are 100-120mm fork compatible. It seems that a lot are running with the 120 travel on their 26" setups, I'm thinking maybe a happy medium and run with 110mm travel to keep the BB and handlebar heights a little lower and since I have a Float setup that way from another build.

Just wondering what others have found that works running with 650 wheels?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm running a 130 mm White Brothers Fluid fork on mine that's reduced to 120 mm. The axle-to-crown is 508 mm. I figured that was only 10 mm more than the Rockshox Recons that came on the later models, but the frame was designed around an A2C of 470 mm. I emailed Santa Cruz about it, and they said not to worry about the headtube failing, but the 40 mm longer A2C will likely mess up the geometry. Personally, I really like the 120 mm, even though I shortened the rear travel to 90 mm to give enough clearance for 650b. I had it set at 110 mm to match the A2C of the Recon the bike originally came with, and it was a bit quicker. I like the 120 mm for all around riding, but I may go back to 110 mm to bring things back to their original intentions. I'm just too lazy to take the fork apart. I rambled a lot here, but to be honest, I'm not sure if 10 mm of travel makes much of a difference either way..

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Also, if you're running a regular 26" fork, then just leave it at 120 mm. Since both axles are being raised because of the 650b wheels, you won't be changing the angles at all.

NedwannaB
    Yeah, several converted projects under my belt.....so I get the relative raising.

I have 2 forks available for this build, a Float 100mm RL w/remote handlebar pop lock that I've become enabled by with the flick of a finger function, or this 130mm Float RLC w/top fork leg lockout that's presently set at 110mm from my Bastardo when I had it setup w/ 4" rocker travel. It is presently set up now with the 5.5" rockers and a 140mm RLC Vanilla so I have a bike for the more challenging terrain rides covered....

Was originally thinking I'd keep the SL build more the 100mm XC setup it was designed for considering the raised height the wheels would create. Tho 120 is the new XC travel. I'm sure I'd like the 110 setup but have become accustomed to the convenience of the handlebar remote.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Superlight Converts

Didn't you sell your SL frame on EBay?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Didn't you sell your SL frame on EBay?
    Nope. You're confusing me with this forum member:

New Superlight 650b conversion! - Page 2

But I am soon going to be putting my Ventana El Bastardo in the classifieds here.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I ran a TALAS 150 on the 5spot convert. It worked OK but was kinda floppy and the bike was tad tall.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    I ran a TALAS 150 on the 5spot convert. It worked OK but was kinda floppy and the bike was tad tall.
    650 f&r or just r? Yeah I could see that. I'll probably know same feeling when I put my KHS back together B6r with a 140mm fork.