mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Steppenwolf goes 650B

Steppenwolf Tycoon XC model year 2007 full conversion.

mtbr member
    Who else had "Born to be Wild" and "Magic Carpet Ride" pop into their head when they saw this thread?

Interesting bike. Tell us more about this brand please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Who else had "Born to be Wild" and "Magic Carpet Ride" pop into their head when they saw this thread?

Interesting bike. Tell us more about this brand please.
    At the moment i just have the time to add one morepic, which is like to say more than 1K words.
    Schlumpf Mountain Drive with an extra 20t granny

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lavolpeeluva
    At the moment i just have the time to add one morepic, which is like to say more than 1K words.
    Schlumpf Mountain Drive with an extra 20t granny
    Can you explain what this is?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Can you explain what this is?
    The Schlumpf it's a two gears gearing system similar to the Hammerschmidt, but few years prior of the HS and hand made in Swiss by Herr Florian Schlumpf in person.

I've added an extra granny on the outer side of a Speed Drive (not a Mountain Drive as erroneously written above) for the steepest ramps i meet occasionaly in the Alps.

Steppenwolf it's a german brand, headquartered in Munich, the frames come from Taiwan. The Tycoon my 2007 it's per se nothing extraordinary: not particulary stiff, not particulary light, single pivot with interrupted seattube.
    As one can see from the pic, the pivot nicely correspond to the chain when the chain is on the 27t chainring of the speeddrive, this makes out for good pedalling efficiency.
    The 650B wheels (neo front, quasi back) make the rest, i'm having good fun with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a Steppenwolf Tundra FS myself. The brand is from Oberhaching in Bavaria / Germany (my home place :-) ). The bikes are handcrafted and only use high-end components. If you wanna learn more about the brand you should check out steppenwolf-bikes.com

Greetings from the Bavarian Forest
    Martin