mtbr member
    Jun 2005

steamroller 650b

I'm thinking about converting a Steamroller to 650b. I want to run the fattest road tires possible (not as big as the Pacenti's). I know they are supposed to fit 38mm 700c tires. There are a couple of 42mm (more like 40) 650b tires available. Anybody tried this, or know if these tires would fit, or be willing to hazard an educated guess? I also would like to run fenders if possible.
    I want to do this because I'm short (need 49cm frame) and have big feet so I'm worried about overlap. But mostly I want because I think it would be a sweet, cushy, light, minimalist ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

re

I'm building up a MTB frame with 650B Ruffy Tuffys about 33mm width. I also have a Steamroller with 700cX35c setup. When I mount up my 650b tires, I'll puttem on the back of the Surly to see what is up.

mtbr member
    Converting 700c road bikes to 650b was how the 650b renaissance got started! See:

http://www.freewebs.com/650b/conversions.htm

Bikeman also has some conversion guidelines I believe...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'll look forward to hearing how those tire fit in your Steamroller.
    Yeah, there are a lot of great resources available on the web about conversions. Those sites you posted were what I used to determine the likelihood of this working on the Steamroller. The only question left was what is the biggest tire that will fit. I've contacted Ed Braley from the Bikeman's 650b Blog to see if he knows. He's been pushing the envelope on conversions done to new sport bikes. He raves about them. No news on the Steamroller yet though.
    But with all the info I'm gaining here, I'm becoming confident that it will work and will be awesome.