mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Stan's yellow tape on Vel-Synergy

Is it possible, or is a different strip required? Running Quasi-moto tires

TNC
    noMAD man
    phantom, are you referring to running the yellow tape "only" to go tubeless on a Synergy or using the yellow tape as the spoke valley strip and then run a real Stan's style sealing strip over it? In our experience at our shop, the Synergy's sizing as a 650B makes it a poor candidate to try to run tubeless under any situation. Stan's ZTR355 is a much better fit, but some have even had a NeoMoto unseat while riding using only the yellow tape. The ZTR355 appears to be bulletproof for running tubeless with the yellow tape in the spoke bed and an Olympic strip on top. I've been running one on a Nomad in harsh conditions with no burps or issues.

Reviewer/Tester
    If you are going to use a Synergy, I suggest that you go the ghetto tubeless way. I currently have two Velocity Blunts running this way with no problems at all so far. The ghetto tubeless gives a better grip to the tire on the rim.

You need a wrap of cloth tape, then a wrap of Stans tape over that, then the split tube. The aim is to get a nice tight fit of the tire on the rim.

If you need more explicit details, PM me.

Rainman.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_309
    Is it possible, or is a different strip required? Running Quasi-moto tires
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i was thinking of running ghetto tubeless. What size tube should you use, 24? I heard to use 20" for 26 rim?

Reviewer/Tester
    A 24" tube will be fine, I used a couple of Tioga 24" Schrader valved tubes for my wheels.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

TNC
    noMAD man

Ghetto

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    A 24" tube will be fine, I used a couple of Tioga 24" Schrader valved tubes for my wheels.

R.
    Ya know...I need to try this ghetto system on my Blunt rim. None of us at our shop have ever set one up this way, as we have always found a good, reliable off-the-shelf strip and rim combo that worked...until the Velocity's. I like the Velocity Blunt rim, hub, and spoke setup I have, and perhaps this is worth a try.