Thread: Spot update

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Spot update

Well, it's been almost 2 months since I switched the old bike to 650b. I've ridden the bike 2-4 times a week at different parks since building it.
    Here's some stuff I've changed:
    I picked up some FMF brakes, they allow the pads to reach the rims and have plenty of clearance at the straddle cable.
    I switched the handlebars to a wider aluminum riser with more sweep. More comfy.
    I set the wheels up tubeless with Stan's rim strips and sealant. Works great.
    Here's some ride impressions:
    The bike deffinitely rides lighter than my 29er. Way more "flickable," and it bunny hops and wheelies like a 26".
    It's almost too "flickable." It steers really fast. I think the high bb may be the culprit here (13-1/4"). The bike handles faster than it did as a 26". I believe the frame was designed for an 80mm fork. I have a 100mm fork on it, maybe that's part of the reason.
    The roll-over and momentum holding abilities compared to my 29er are way closer than 26" is to 650b. The nay-sayers say that 650 is too close to 26 to really make a difference...They need to try one.
    My initial impression after riding 26" wheels for 15 years was that the 29er was a pig. After a month on the 650b, the first ride on the 29er yielded the same reaction, the 29er felt like a pig. Way slower to steer, felt big and heavy. Slow to accelarate. Fun to ride, but felt like driving a bus down the trail.
    The only negatives that I've found with the 650 are the twitchy handling and the fact that I've worn the back tire out already. The Quasi is a great tire, supple, fast rolling and grips way better than it looks like it should, but it doesn't last all that long.
    These 2 minor gripes aside, this has become my go to bike. The 29er doesn't get ridden anymore, and when it's time for a new bike, 650b is my choice.
    Paul

mtbr member
    The slightly longer fork should actually slow the steering a bit. I guess the wheels 1.5 difference just raises the center of gravity enough for you to notice. Good luck with it. I may have to try this.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Paul,

I'm glad to hear the wheel size is working out so well for you.

I couldn't say how or why the bike handles "faster" without knowing the bike specs, but I am fairly certain that a purpose built 650B bike would handle "better".

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yea...ChefMiguel said what I was thinking. The longer fork should slow things down.
    The Spot always was on the faster side of handling, but to be honest, I rode the 29er for long enough between the 26 and the 650 that I really can't make an accurate comparison.
    Kirk: What specs would be helpful? I'm no expert at bike geometry.
    Thanks,
    PI

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Glad to see you're still enjoying the Spot. I had a run in with a fellow rider at B-wine the other day and we were discussing a potential new bike for him and I had mentioned 650b to him. To my surprise, he had already had a conversation with you not to long ago about the same thing! He was just as surprised to see another 650b as I was that he had already been introduced to the new size. Hopefully he'll come through with a nice new custom SS/650b so I can live vicariously through others purchases

nothing relevant to say
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Hopefully he'll come through with a nice new custom SS/650b so I can live vicariously through others purchases
    Great Plan!

mtbr member
    How's about some updated photos showing the new brakes please. I'm very curious as to how those look/work on your bike.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Here you go

Pardon the dirt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Speedhub doc.
    Paul, cna you snap a couple of pics of the chainstay/tire clearance, not to sure if this is going to work in my frame. it has the ebb shell
    Vern Dog the Bike Guy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great pics iPaul, those brakes work perfect judging by the pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Vern Dog,
    My original post has a pretty good shot of the cs clearance.
    My 650B
    If you need something different, let me know.
    RFS,
    Yup, these brakes work as well as the orig Avids did with the 26" wheels. The CR 18 rims are a bit on the narrow side, though. If I ran the NeoMoto, the brake arm would deffinitely rub the tire.
    88Rex,
    You must've run into Terry right after I did.

Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iPaul(c)
    88Rex,
    You must've run into Terry right after I did.

Paul

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Got my new tires yesterday. Thanks Kirk.
    There's something to be said about them fitting tight on the rims. While tough to initially mount, aired up easily and seated with a floor pump.
    In case anyone's interested, I'm using standard 26" Stan's rim strips with 2 cups of sealant.
    Tonight's ride will be fun with some tread.

Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    More Quasi's??

How long did they last?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yup, more Quasis.
    They lasted about 2 months.