mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Spoke & nip sources?

Getting hung up on spokes & nips for my 650b build.
    Where's the best source?

I want black spokes with black brass nips.
    Looked at DTSwiss Competition, but they come with alloy nips in a 100ct box.
    coudn't find black brass nips.

How much should I expect to spend? the above was about $70 from aebike.

TIA

nothing relevant to say
    Local Bike shop will likely sell the proper length, with a nipple- at the count you need. Have you contacted one yet?

Down South Yooper
    I've bought spokes from here before:

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/dt...ss-nipple.html

That's the nipple page, they say black brass DT nips are available, but no pricing. If you call, I'm sure they'll have them.

As for the LBS having spokes, I've found that (at least, every LBS I've asked at) has a pretty hit or miss selection of spokes, in hit or miss colors, with hit or miss on the butting, with silver brass nipples. I don't even bother anymore, as most LBS guys aren't building wheels commonly, and if they need to, they order the spokes they need and keep the leftovers as the shop's stock..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Is it OK to use say a 276mm spoke where the actual length is 272.5?

The lengths I need go from 272.5 to 275.2. I was hoping to simplify and economize my order with a box of 276 100ct..

Thanks Plum. Yeah, I've gathered that my best plan would be to order parts, assemble the wheels and drop them off at the LBS to finish the job.

Down South Yooper
    Probably not, you're likely to run into a couple issues. You may (will) run out of thread, essentially bottoming out the nipple on the spoke where the shorter spokes are called for, keep in mind your nipples are only about 8mm long. If you don't run out of threads, you'll have an excess of about 4mm sticking out the top of the nipple, which is probably enough to cause problems with your rimstrip/tube.

Try getting a quote from here, i have been able to mix and match lengths as needed, plus the sapim spokes are pretty nice, every bit as nice as the DT's. I actually prefer to build with Sapims. They've got black brass nipples listed too;

http://www.thorusa.com/product10.htm

Email him for a quote with the lengths you need, he's listing them in groups of 20, so you'll have a few spares for each length, but that's not a bad thing..

Quote Originally Posted by socalscott
    Is it OK to use say a 276mm spoke where the actual length is 272.5?

The lengths I need go from 272.5 to 275.2. I was hoping to simplify and economize my order with a box of 276 100ct..

Thanks Plum. Yeah, I've gathered that my best plan would be to order parts, assemble the wheels and drop them off at the LBS to finish the job.
    Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member

650b Spoke Length Issues

I apologize and say thanks to all, before I begin a rather brief rant directed at the sourcing of correct brand/model/size spokes for 650b wheel builds. I may even be going slowly mad.
    Been running into issues sourcing the spokes I want in the length I need for various 650b wheel builds. The latest issue has been that I have White Industries hubs, Blunts, and wanted to use black DT Super Comps but need them in 272/271 & even 273 for another build. Tried DE,QBP,BTI,SBS etc. and none of them had the lengths needed. I stopped short of contacting DT, even though they probably would have supplied S-Comps in sizes needed, because the great folks at Velocity were more than willing to hook me up with butted Sapims in whatever length/color/gauge needed. Yes, Sapim spokes cost a bit more than DT, but it seems that Velocity USA had a large stock of spokes, and the minor Sapim up-charge was palatable as long as I could get what I needed thus ending my lengthy phone call regime and rather fruitless search.
    Besides my Velocity plug it appears that some other forum users have given some suggestions for sourcing spokes for your 650b so best of luck to all and hopefully none of us will have nearly as many 650b spoke problems come spring

mtbr member
    I lace all the ones I send out 2X as this spits out common sizes for 26" like 262, 266, ect. esp. with larger { > 43mm } flanges. - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I buy mine from Stans no tubes. You can buy the individually for about 1.13 per spoke and nipple. That was for DT super comps.

mtbr member

Nice Idea. Brain Jump-started.

Greetings
    Steve, I truly appreciate the suggestion/reminder, especially since I hadn't considered varying the lace pattern. I've been working on my tunnel vison lately since folks were were requesting/demanding 3X wheels (apparently for disc-wheel strength reasons ).
    Steve, have you gone 2x on both drive and non-drive sides on front and rear?
    Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles
    I lace all the ones I send out 2X as this spits out common sizes for 26" like 262, 266, ect. esp. with larger { > 43mm } flanges. - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umassracer
    Greetings
    Steve, I truly appreciate the suggestion/reminder, especially since I hadn't considered varying the lace pattern. I've been working on my tunnel vison lately since folks were were requesting/demanding 3X wheels (apparently for disc-wheel strength reasons ).
    Steve, have you gone 2x on both drive and non-drive sides on front and rear?
    Best regards
    Yep, no problem at all. Built tons. all disc, too. - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I got mine (I think they were 271/273mm for 32 spoke 3x) custom cut at webcyclery.com. Cost about $80 for everything I needed for 2 wheels. I was a walk-in at their retail shop in Bend, but I don't see why they wouldn't ship since they do so much business online anyway.

mtbr member
    Not sure which sizes are available, but if you only need a limited number (not like 100), I ordered some super light (and usually expensive) DT Revs on ebay, 18 spokes for $17, plus $5 for shipping.

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004

ebay

I see all the lengths you mention listed there.

I got nothin'
    Universal Cycles also sells spokes and nipples individually online. They usually throw in an extra of each too.
    I ride at ludicrous speed