mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Specialized Carbon Epic 650b Pics, talk ?

Hi anyone have one of these and want to share pics and talk about it. One thing I am wondering is if the new front fork (brain shock by Specialized) arch clears a 650b ?
    Also, what tires can be run on the rear, triming, etc.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm wondering if similar style frames would work - like the Salsa Moto Rapido for example.......whoops - I thought you meant Stumpy hardtail - but you wrote Epic.
    Last edited by MMcG; 01-21-2009 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Hi anyone have one of these and want to share pics and talk about it. One thing I am wondering is if the new front fork (brain shock by Specialized) arch clears a 650b ?
    Also, what tires can be run on the rear, triming, etc.
    Thanks
    Hopefully I will be able to check this weekend...If I do, I will post pics.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    I'm guessing that you're talking about the 09? If so, I'll check the one we have tomorrow and let you know.

Jun 2008
    Alright, so I just checked, and a Neo works on the fork. The Neo is too big for the rear, and we're getting in some Quasi's tomorrow, and we'll definately be anxious to check that as soon as we get them in. Sorry for lack of pictures, but as soon as we mount them or anything, I'll try to take some pictures for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yea, 09 bummer on the back. It seems like they change everything every year at Specialized recently with Epic And Stumpy. Where does it not clear with the Neo Mid or sides or both. I'm wondering for the new 2.1 Neos. Cool bout the fork though.
    Thanks !

mtbr member
    I checked the fork with the wheel. It fits with a 2.35 Neo-Moto!! I took all of the air out of the Specialized Brain E100 fork and bottomed it out, and it still fit!! I took pics, and forgot to take a pic of the clearance. These pics are on a buddies new Epic S-Works, he saw that this works, and is ordering a ZTR 355/AC wheel on monday with a Quasi!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cool, hope the quasi fits back, thanks.

Jun 2008
    Quasi does NOT fit on the rear of the 09 S-Works Epic. We just threw one on there, and it rubs in the center and the sides. If pictures are necessary for belief, then I'll post some. But if you shaved it down to fit, I think the tire would look like a Crow once you were done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor
    Quasi does NOT fit on the rear of the 09 S-Works Epic. We just threw one on there, and it rubs in the center and the sides. If pictures are necessary for belief, then I'll post some. But if you shaved it down to fit, I think the tire would look like a Crow once you were done.
    Too bad thanks.
    I am still confused about which models work and which don't. But I am guessing that the carbon swingarms of all the 09's are out. But then the future shock being 1.25/1.5 means you can't use it with any of the alloy frames.

mtbr member

what about the 2010s

They redesigned the rear end of the epic for 2010, do you think a 650b would fit back there now?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Too bad thanks.
    I am still confused about which models work and which don't. But I am guessing that the carbon swingarms of all the 09's are out. But then the future shock being 1.25/1.5 means you can't use it with any of the alloy frames.
    fwiw, the 'future shock" is made by X-Fusion...

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

PacentiCycleDesign