Thread: space oddity

mtbr member

space oddity

Hokay. ive been toodling around on this for awhile. Frame, old kelly ro sham bo. Good to see him back also. The frame is lovely as a 29er, but i have moved to slacker geometry. So in order to work with a jones/vicious front end (uma rim/endomorph/fat whub) and its greater offset, i needed to drop the rear of the frame. Initially i used a 26 inch wheel, fixed as the frame is v brake, and with a minion dh tyre. It was hard hitting fun and in theory the angles should have been great. The pneumatic trail effect suggested a little steeper would be better as the steering was on the slow side, the bb a little low. Enter the pacenti neo moto stage left. Sun qualizer 27mm rim with dh tube run at <20psi and 12 psi front. amazing. Recently raced strathpuffer in scotland on it and rocks, roots, snow mud all banished. Kirk was especially helpful getting the parts to me quick sharp in scotland...

its an oddity for sure, but rides pretty normal (for a fixed)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great stuff on your blog

What do you call that muck that the front tire was buried in on the January 5 entry?
    I have to go back and read more!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Love it. I'd like to ride it next time I'm in Scotland... if you'll put a freewheel on it for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Very cool!

I have ridden a fat front Jones on 2 different occasions. Both times I found slow speed handling very easy, but when speeds increased I had a hard time holding a line. Have you experienced this at all?

mtbr member
    it is very sensitive to pressure...a difference of 1 or 2 psi makes a huge difference in handling..well worth fiddling with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    it is very sensitive to pressure...a difference of 1 or 2 psi makes a huge difference in handling..well worth fiddling with.
    I have heard that. The first time was on a Jeff Jones demo ride with a bunch of people. The second was on tamjam's. In both cases they use digital gauges, so I assume they were set right. Do you think rider weight would necessitate single PSI changes?

mtbr member
    yes! i guess because at 10 psi, 1 psi change is 10 percent, and the tyre has a huge foot print, so it can get counter drag on off camber trail.

mtbr member
    1 psi is a big change to that tire. i run 6 psi on my pug. 1 psi less and it feels like its flat. 1 more and its too bouncy.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    dude...that is sweet!!!

now post a larger picture
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member

mtbr member
    and yeah, i do keep meaning to trim the steerer ;-/~

squish is good
    Dude that steerer is out of control. Crazy bike. I could almost see going rigid with endomorphs on both ends... but naw, I'm too much of a long travel whore!

Still a sic bike.
    Bike good, work bad.