mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Soulcraft Option b

Here is my new Soulcraft 650b frame. I was having Sean build my new geared frame, and thought what the heck, make it a 650b. I'm still in the process of building it up, and taking pictures along the way. Here's where it stands now...will update when finished. The build is mostly an assortment of parts I already had, except the new wheels and the headset. Four inch travel on the fork. I'm going to start with a 1x9 set-up and see how I take to that. If you are hunting for a new custom steel frame, make sure you check Soulcraft out. Maybe not if you are in a big hurry, but patience is rewarded with one of the best riding frames out there...(this is my 4th, also have 2 singles and a road bike.)

Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Nice!

That tears it! I guess I am going to have to get in line for one of these frames... 650b of course!

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

PacentiCycleDesign

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool!

mtbr member
    arrrgh you're killin' me!

My Holy Roller SS frame won't be ready till July I just found out yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Beautiful bike. Looking forward to final build photos and ride report. It's looking fast already with the Racing Ralphs.

Are you running a continuous housing to your rear derailleur?

Ovaries on the Outside
    purty.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Beautiful bike. What is the fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by humjude
    Beautiful bike. What is the fork?
    Looks like a Fox F100 that has been sent to Push and now has those decals

mtbr member
    Yeah it is probably a pushed float.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the props. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to touch it the last couple evenings. Hopefully I will still be able to get it done and on the trail for Sunday &/or Monday.

Answers to a couple questions:
    It is set-up for continuous housing. I've been mostly SS for some time now, but I have run that on a few past bikes and have been pleased. Even Dremeled the stops out on a frame once...that's nerve-wracking!

Fork is a ~2006 RLT that I had Pushed a season or two ago. It's seen time on at least 2-3 other frames, and it just can't find a permanent home. Maybe this is it. I've frankly never been that pleased with it, even after the Push. It's really more of a 90mm fork, not 100mm. Perhaps it will be a good match to this hardtail frame.

More pics after completion and hopefully a ride report (if the rain stays away...it's been wet here for the last month at least!)

Randy

mtbr member
    Great looking bike. Love the blue and red. I had a Soulcraft cross bike when they were a much younger company and it was a great bike. Wish I still had it. Soulcraft builds such great looking bikes. And great riding bikes.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Great looking bike.

P.S. I'm surprised nobody has jumped on you for clamping the seat tube with your stand...shhh

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Complete Bike Pics

Got the new Soulcraft finished up last weekend with maiden voyage Monday. Ride is simply amazing, but I knew it would be.

Only problem I had was my chain retention device (Rohloff) wouldn't fit because of the narrow chainline of my square taper/BB set-up. I could modify it, but thought I'd try without. Between the very-nearly-perfect chainline, SS ring, medium cage derailleur, and shortening the chain as much as I thought I could get away with, it doesn't seem problematic. Rode 20 miles at Westwood Monday and not even a hint that I was going to lose the chain. Am I risking too much?

Anyway, the bike rides great. I like the wheel size, though I think more riding is necessary to develop a deeper opinion. I'm hoping for the improved cornering of a 29er, but without the sluggish feel accelerating out of them. Time will tell more, but I think this size fits the bill.

And again, if you're looking for a custom hardtail frame, don't buy without at least talking to Sean. Awsome stuff comes out of his shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Beautiful bike, with good color coordination!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

nothing relevant to say
    Chain retention device for the front in your near future?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Check out PAUL Components Chain keeper for the front,

See www.paulcomp.com for more details, they do look very nice, and should match that bike nicely
    Defcon Cycles - Brisbane Australia

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Chainkeeper...

Big YES on the chainkeeper. Learned that the hard way. As mentioned in earlier post, had Rohloff that wouldn't fit without modification, so tried without. First ride went fine, no drops in 20 miles. Got cocky and attempted ride #2 without...a race...and dropped like 8 times in 17 miles. DOH! So immediately had a machinist-riding friend machine down the posts on the Rohloff 7mm and got it set up. Problem free ever since! I wish I would have seen that Paul Comp device to begin with....very slick. That looks as though it would have worked better in the beginning...more adjustable to my narrow chainline. But the Rohloff already underwent surgery, and is working fine, so....

Oh, and absolutely loving the bike and wheel size. Sean mentioned that he's been getting a fair amount of interest in the 650b size. Look him up if you're in the market.

Randy