mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Soul Cycles Hooligan is a Go

So received my 19" Hooligan today and test fitted my 650b in the rear. It fit with the 2.3 Neo Moto. There was plenty of room on the seat stays and seat stay bridge. The chainstay "bridge" was pretty close but there was plenty of room on the sides for wheel/frame flex. I'd say that mud clearance MAY be an issue on the chainstay "bridge" but 1) You'd have to ride through sloppy trails (which I don't routinely) 2) mud varies from water soup to glue.

I have no intentions of running a large 2.3 in the rear, so when I eventually go to 650b in the rear I know I will have plenty of room for a Quasi or 2.1 Neo. For now I'm going to stick with my trusty crossmax til I kill it. Still loving the 650b up front though.

I'll try to snap pics later.

BTW, this frame seems pretty beefy and I expect more than a few years of use out of it. I haven't ridden it yet, but it will be my race bike (geared) and off season bike (single speed).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    With the EBB how low can you set the BB height?

nothing relevant to say
    pics?

mtbr member
    I echo Cracked Headtube's sentiments - hit us with a few pics please!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    With the EBB how low can you set the BB height?
    With the current set-up of Neo-Moto front and 26" Geax Saguaro 2.2 in the rear the lowest it will go was about 11.75". That was measured with a ruler and trying to be exact as possible. It was definitely lower than 12" and higher than 11.5".

Pics will come as soon as I get my seatpost within the next week or two. I did have it out last night on a borrowed seat post and had an absolute blast. My last frame was very very weight weenie-ish and I was always afraid of getting "airborne" but this frame begs to be tossed around! I love it! I have it set-up SS with plans to throw gears back on during race season. I also didn't have any creaking or problems with the EBB.

If I had to throw one fault at it, and this is very minor, it is the V-studs in the rear have a bit of flex to them. The frame itself doesn't flex really at all, but there is visual movement in the posts themselves. I think one of those brake braces would easily remedy that and put just a touch more firmness into the lever. With the said, I had no real issues braking on the trail.

The bike is balanced, strong, flickable, and with the current build...light. I am very very happy with this bike.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I might be following suit with a hooligan myself....

edit- how much does your build weigh and what sort of specs do you have on it?
    Last edited by umarth; 01-22-2009 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I might be following suit with a hooligan myself....

edit- how much does your build weigh and what sort of specs do you have on it?
    I don't have an exact weight, sorry. But it's noticably lighter than one of my other bikes that I know weighs 24 lbs.

Set-up:
    Hooligan 19" Pearl White
    Race Turbine Cranks ISIS 180MM
    FSA Plat Pro Mega Quad BB
    Shimano 540 pedals
    SS chain and salsa 34t chainring
    19t surly cog on the rear
    Fox F80 RLC
    Front wheel - ZTR355 650b with Hope pro2 hub and 17g/15g spokes
    Rear wheel - Crossmax ST (v brake)
    Front Brake - BB7
    Rear Brake - Single Digit SL
    Levers - Avid FR5
    Full length cable housing front and rear
    Post (in the mail right now) KCNC 31.6mm x350mm
    Saddle- E3 Form Titanium (light, comfy and cheap)
    Bars - Forte CTX straight bar 25.4 (light, carbon and cheap)
    Stem - Sette Edge 100mm(cheap and light)
    Post clamp- currently generic. Want something more blingy.....thinking Hope anodized red.

For gear'd format:
    X0 grip shifters
    X9 Super Short cage
    X-gen FD top pull (tuned a little)
    SRAM 990 11-32 9 speed
    Add the granny ring (still no big ring, never use it and I like the clearance, 34x11 is more than enough)

Also thinking about adding bar ends.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Are you thinking of adding photos as well? I want to see this thing built up. It sounds super sweet.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Any reviews out there on the rigid fork?
    Last edited by umarth; 01-23-2009 at 01:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Seatpost FINALLY arrived. It was dark outside but I snapped a few quick shots. Hopefully I can get some out in the "wild" soon.

mtbr member
    Nice Hooligan Rex!

nothing relevant to say
    nice looking bike!! I'm on my third Soul frame. I had the 29er in 2007, I too never had a problem with the EBB. I may get one of these and put their DJ fork on it, just for kicks.

Long live long rides.
    Hey all - I just picked up an 07 Soul Hooligan & I am going to build it as a rigid 650b. Really nice seeing this thread & knowing that the wheels will fit - (I will have to make sure the 650b fits in the 1x1 or kona project 2 fork... should be no problem.

Gonna go with a pretty basic setup. Not too many frills... paul hubs will likely be the most exciting part.

BIG question::: Can the Velocity Blunt run tubeless?

nothing relevant to say
    You must be new to this forum....Yes, the 1x1 forks works very well. I haven't checked a Kona project2,personally, but I'm sure if it is suspension corrected it should fit at least a Quasi Moto.

Long live long rides.
    I am new to this forum....

Looking around I have some good options for 650b... but a limited number of rim brake options. I may have to throw down for stans ZTR rims. Tubeless and rim brake is the right answer.

This thread was the reason I snagged the hooligan... misterc clued me into it's availability.

These wheels will end up flashey... Paul to ZTR via some i dunno... dt champion 1.8's perhaps?

I'll try to refrain from the white industries freewheel...but once you put one fancy part on a bike it becomes more difficult to restrain oneself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    L&L,
    I run rim brakes on the back of my Spot with a CR18 and haven't had any problems. The tires are a tight fit on the rims but that makes going tubeless a no-brainer. I was able to inflate the tires with a floor pump on the 1st try.

Nice Hooligan 88Rex.
    Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nice ride, I am a new Icon owner and I can say that Soul Cycles is first class.

Long live long rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by iPaul(c)
    L&L,
    I run rim brakes on the back of my Spot with a CR18 and haven't had any problems. iPaul
    Good to know that it is a solid option... I did some of my first wheel building on the CR-18. It seems like a good option without being too expensive. My "realistic" options are the CR-18 or Velocity Dyad.

I was thinking Paul hubs, but I could go surly & get two gears, and save money. I want this bike to be a trainer... so I don't need super expensive parts. Mainly I want to build something solid to stand the test of time without breaking the bank.

Paul hubs are so money tho... hard to resist that temptation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yea, I went with the CR18's because they were cheap.
    I re-used my 9 year old Paul rear hub for my wheel build. I think the bearings were replaced 4 or 5 years ago. Other than that they've seen no service and are still rolling. Definitely can't go wrong with the Paul hubs.