mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Soma B-Side and a Trailer?

Hi there,

This is my first time posting, although I am a long time lurker. I have a Rivendell Bleriot which is a 650b setup.

I have just about decided to pull the trigger and buy a Soma B-Side. I just sold my 29er mountain bike to fund the build. I got rid of the 29er because it felt too unwieldy and I don't like that it is a single purpose bike. For the type of riding I like to do (forest service roads, non-technical mountain bike trails), I think a 650b with a rigid fork and fat tires is a better ultimately a better option. Additionally, I want my mountain-ish bike to double as a hauler for the times I need to use a trailer. Which brings me to my question--are any of you using a trailer with the B-Side? I'd love to know what you are using (type of trailer and setup) and how the bike handles.

Also, if I can't get a good feel for how the B-Side works with a trailer (or decide against if for some other reason), a Surly Troll built as a 650b is my back up plan....other frame suggestions are welcome, as long as the frame is steel and around the same price as these frames.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Kristy

mtbr member
    Hey, Kristy-Bleriot is a nice bike. I own a few road oriented 650b'ers too. I cannot directly answer your question about trailering with a B-side--I would recommend you contact Soma directly-they're pretty responsive to questions and can give you the real skinny. Steve

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I pull my kids around in a Trek GoBug on my B-Side. No issues other than having to run the sliders about a cm back from full forward to allow room for the trailer attachment point. The bike handles the 60 or so pounds fine. When both my kids were in the trailer, I suppose the weight was closer to 90 pounds. The sliders never moved, but I was only riding on paved or walking trails. No long, steep hills or anything that would really stress the bike.
    link to image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...26428656_o.jpg
    -Carlos

Flux