Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soma B-Side

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

27.5r/Soma B-Side question

just picked this up can't wait to get it going.. will be robbing parts from my 26er single speed but need to get/build wheels for it!!
    I think I got a pretty good deal found it on ebay and was ending in 5 minutes.

how do the folks that have these like them? it's a bit heavier than I expected but I hope it will ride great.Soma B-Side-soma.jpegSoma B-Side-soma2.jpegSoma B-Side-soma3.jpeg
    Last edited by derrgti; 03-18-2014 at 06:48 AM. Reason: new info needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So I finally have rims/hubs/spokes coming to build my wheels and get this bike going but do have a few questions regarding 650b/27.5r compared to 26r's..
    first off, are folks running a shorter stem for 27.5 compared to 26?
    secondly I am currently running SS 34x17, what are opinions on equvilant gearing compared to 26r? or what gear are folks running on 27.5, living in CHarlotte NC so not anything crazy hilly unless I head out to the mtn's but in that case Ill through a shifter and gears on the rear.

any opinions would be great, very interested to see how I like this compared to 26" wheeled bikes.. never really liked the feel of the 29r's.

Wrench
    I can't answer your SS ratio question, but I can say a little about shorter stems.

A stem is just a piece of the bike that can be changed and adjusted to dial in geometry to a specific rider. The current trend is for very short and very wide, aka short stem and wide handle bars.

I never quite agreed with the "wider-is-better" logic. I prefer a bike that fits.

So if your 26" bike was dialed for your riding style and body type, then I would break out the tape measure and start taking top tube measurements. Get your reach the same as on your old bike.

Here's an example: I had a Santa Cruz Superlight that was great, but when I upgraded to a Blur frameset I switched parts over. Those parts included my 100mm stem. The 100mm stem was just fine on the Superlight, but the Blur had a longer top tube and thus required a shorter stem to achieve the same fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    THanks, FNFAL.. agree with you on fit and that is the plan to set it up as close to the bike I was riding.
    guess I am seeing the same shorter stem/ wider bars and have been riding my mtb's with the same position for so long was just courious what is driving the change I guess.

I have enough issues making it by trees with the bars im riding cut down I dont think wider will work for me!!

Wrench
    It's good that you are adapting your bike and riding set-up to where YOU ride, and not where some internet hot-shot like to rip with his go-pro

There's plenty of push here on MTBR for the latest trends and newest things, but I come from an XC racing background. Hell, you still see 26" hardtails at races tearing up the course.

The bike matters, but pales in comparison to the rider. For the rider to do their job for their specific terrain, the bike must conform to the rider.

I don't run my Nemesis as aggressive as I could, but I ride where there are plenty of rocks and rock gardens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    haha, very true.. I have no issues with not conforming!! the bike Im coming is a 2000 era Bianchi Grizzly converted to a singlespeed, I always have people telling me I need to switch to a 29r but then when I have no issues keeping up with them or passing them that gets shut down.

just raced a winter series thru Jan and Feb both SS class and Sport (on SS) only saw a couple of other 26" bikes out there with me but it didn't stop me from beating at least half of the field in the races I entered if I hadn't taken three months off prior to the series may have done even better.. so yes the bike is the tool, but as long as you know how to use the tool effectively you should have no issues..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Rims came yesterday, hubs and spokes should be here today...
    building up Stans Arch EX, DT revo's with King front disc hub and White Ind Eno rear disc.. Now just have to decide what tires to go with and get them, Im off tomorow so wheels will be ready to go this weekend.

mtbr member
    great frames, have one of the new ones sitting at my LBS awaiting parts. This years model went with a 44mm headtube and slacker geo.

Post up some pics when your done. On stem length im one that likes to stay as short as I can, just responds more precisely for me. That was one of the reasons I went with the Soma over a few other frames I was looking at, longer reach as compared to similar size frames from other companys.

Wrench
    Wheels should be good and strong and last a while. My Crests on American Classic hubs are over 3.5 years old and have been raced for three seasons. I even bought hubs and spokes just in case I have to build up a new set of wheels, but haven't needed to yet!

As far as tires, where do you live? I'm partial to the Racing Ralph 2.25 inch. up here in Fort Collins.
    Quote Originally Posted by derrgti View Post
    Rims came yesterday, hubs and spokes should be here today...
    building up Stans Arch EX, DT revo's with King front disc hub and White Ind Eno rear disc.. Now just have to decide what tires to go with and get them, Im off tomorow so wheels will be ready to go this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

wheels..

got home on Thurs and all of may parts had arrived so started the process.. Soma B-Side-1.jpgSoma B-Side-2.jpegSoma B-Side-4.jpeg

very happy with how they built up and they actually built up lighter than my 26" wheels..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamey View Post
    great frames, have one of the new ones sitting at my LBS awaiting parts. This years model went with a 44mm headtube and slacker geo.

Post up some pics when your done. On stem length im one that likes to stay as short as I can, just responds more precisely for me. That was one of the reasons I went with the Soma over a few other frames I was looking at, longer reach as compared to similar size frames from other companys.
    Yeah I saw the newer version recently, like the looks of it and the 44mm headtube is a nice option.

happy with the build so far, haven't been able to get on it except around the hood but doesn't feel much different than the bike I was riding.. anyways pics below..

Soma B-Side-3.jpegSoma B-Side-5.jpgSoma B-Side-6.jpegSoma B-Side-7.jpeg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I ended up going with Kenda Honey Badger pros, the only tire I found locally that I liked.. its a 2.20 which is quite a bit larger than I am used to, looks strange seeing that size tire out in front of me!
    but Im sure Ill get used to them, wanted to go with the Crest since I mainly just ride XC but I came across the Arch at excel sports for $48 a rim and couldnt' pass them up, they still built up to a nice light set with the DT Revo's so I think Ill be happy with them.
    Now I just need some nice weather to go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Wheels should be good and strong and last a while. My Crests on American Classic hubs are over 3.5 years old and have been raced for three seasons. I even bought hubs and spokes just in case I have to build up a new set of wheels, but haven't needed to yet!

As far as tires, where do you live? I'm partial to the Racing Ralph 2.25 inch. up here in Fort Collins.

NedwannaB
    I ended up going with Kenda Honey Badger pros, the only tire I found locally that I liked.. its a 2.20 which is quite a bit larger than I am used to, looks strange seeing that size tire out in front of me!
    but Im sure Ill get used to them, wanted to go with the Crest since I mainly just ride XC but I came across the Arch at excel sports for $48 a rim and couldnt' pass them up, they still built up to a nice light set with the DT Revo's so I think Ill be happy with them.
    Now I just need some nice weather to go for a ride.
    Nice build! Put those Honey Badgers to some good use!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Looks DOPE. I have a Version 2.0. ridin and raced it for 2+ years now. Broke one frame in the middle of the down tube and they replaced it no prob. it rode a little flexy so after a bunch of research i am ordering a Jamis Dragon Pro frameset. it has slacker geo like the Soma Version 3.0

mtbr member
    yep nice build.... I actually like your color better then the 3.0 "pumpkin" orange.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    THnaks, im very happy with the end result.. can't wait to get it out and hit some trails, it will be interesting to see how it compares to the bike it's replacing and my geared hardtail (both Steel)

Quote Originally Posted by docbraunson View Post
    Looks DOPE. I have a Version 2.0. ridin and raced it for 2+ years now. Broke one frame in the middle of the down tube and they replaced it no prob. it rode a little flexy so after a bunch of research i am ordering a Jamis Dragon Pro frameset. it has slacker geo like the Soma Version 3.0

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the color isn't bad.. but I kinda like the Orange of the newer frame, it looks to be about the same as my geared bike.
    which while building this frame up i test fitted the rear wheel and found that it works, so now I gotta start searching for deals on another set of rims and hubs to build for that bike.

it's always something!! gotta gid rid of some stuff now to be able to get more stuff..

yep nice build.... I actually like your color better then the 3.0 "pumpkin" orange.

mtbr member
    im going a bit more "budget" on my B side build just to get it on the road.... will upgrade when funds allow. Been looking for a deal on a fox float 100, but will likely just buy a Reba.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I hear that... all in all this bike i have less than 500 in + the parts I had to move over from the Bianchi it replaced... was even able to use the same chain I was running!! this thing has got some short chainstays on it.

im going a bit more "budget" on my B side build just to get it on the road.... will upgrade when funds allow. Been looking for a deal on a fox float 100, but will likely just buy a Reba.

NedwannaB
    I hear that... all in all this bike i have less than 500 in + the parts I had to move over from the Bianchi it replaced... was even able to use the same chain I was running!! this thing has got some short chainstays on it.
    I noticed your setback post and stem/bar setup, would you say you are riding an undersized frame? Merely an observation . I'm running similar setup on mine with low risers and 100mm/5* stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice lookin' bike! My v3 frame and a few other bits for my build just came in yesterday. Seeing yours makes me even more anxious to get started!

So, what are your initial impressions vs. 26"? What gear ratio did you settle on? I'm setting my B Side up geared to start, but my next project will be to get the parts to run SS, as well. I run 34x18 currently (Florida. short steep climbs, root, rocks, more roots, sand...) on my SS and was thinking I would do 32x18 when I convert the B Side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Jmac, basically everything that was on the previous setup (Bianchi 26") I moved over to this frame. I ride with a pretty aggressive position though, I haven't been able to get out on the trail with it yet but just around the hood it feels like my previous bike just with bigger wheels. once I ride on the trails I can make the decision if I need to get a shorter stem or replace the seatpost with the straight one I have.
    this frame is supposedly Soma's MD, but the seattube is super short the toptube is a tad longer than the Bianchi it replaced but not much. I did however flip the stem to it's on the neg rise..

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I noticed your setback post and stem/bar setup, would you say you are riding an undersized frame? Merely an observation . I'm running similar setup on mine with low risers and 100mm/5* stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    THanks, I was the same once I got the rims, spokes etc.. post some pics of yours, the v3's are nice..

so far I haven't had a chance to get on the trails.. everytime I have off we get rain! hopefully this week.. no mention of the stuff so far and highs in the 70's..
    but around the hood it feels like my 26" it replaced just larger if that makes sense.. my position on the bike is about the same.
    I am running 34x17 wich was the same gear on my 26r so I am hoping it will work on this one, although I do have the option of 19 (WI Dos freewheel)

my plan was the oposite of yours, SS with the parts to run geared if needed.. but after I built the wheels i found that I can fit 650b on the geared bike with just enough clearence so ill be building up another set of wheels eventually for that bike.

good luck with the build, deff post some pics when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeljack View Post
    Nice lookin' bike! My v3 frame and a few other bits for my build just came in yesterday. Seeing yours makes me even more anxious to get started!

So, what are your initial impressions vs. 26"? What gear ratio did you settle on? I'm setting my B Side up geared to start, but my next project will be to get the parts to run SS, as well. I run 34x18 currently (Florida. short steep climbs, root, rocks, more roots, sand...) on my SS and was thinking I would do 32x18 when I convert the B Side.

NedwannaB
    Jmac, basically everything that was on the previous setup (Bianchi 26") I moved over to this frame. I ride with a pretty aggressive position though, I haven't been able to get out on the trail with it yet but just around the hood it feels like my previous bike just with bigger wheels. once I ride on the trails I can make the decision if I need to get a shorter stem or replace the seatpost with the straight one I have.
    this frame is supposedly Soma's MD, but the seattube is super short the toptube is a tad longer than the Bianchi it replaced but not much. I did however flip the stem to it's on the neg rise..
    I typically run on 16" frames. With 650's on my Reken frame, setup geared, I ran a 100m fork,flat bar/100m/5* stem and straight post. Now setup SS with low riser/90/5* stem, layback post and 80m fork(design spec says 100 fork but I think that was to help with sales of 100m forks and on complete bikes myself...). It feels more stable for me than setup with the 100. Could be the shorter A2C height of the 80 balanced out the increased height w/650 wheels? (Never had it setup with 26" wheels). In hindsight had I tried it with stem inverted with 100 fork it may have felt better.

For SS'ing I like the leg room the layback gives me while mashing up and out of the saddle. Probably not the perfect leg rotation fit "on" the saddle but as you know usually less time is spent there .

Hope better weather hits you soon so you can get some rides in to dial it in!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I used to run 16" when I was younger and raced to win!! lol, 17 to 17.5 is about the right size for me though. the Soma is right in there just the seattube is around 16.5 so it looks smaller.
    thats interestin gthat you mention the spec for yours is 100mm the Soma calls for that if running a 26" wheeled fork Like I am or 80mm 650b, my fork is currenlty set at 80mm and was waiting to ride on the trails to decide if I really want to pull apart and take the travel spacer out.
    was afraid it was gonna be scetchy but after riding about 5 or so miles with my son yesterday ( still around the hood) it actually feels really good and balanced so I may leave it at 80mm.

agree about the extra room for out of saddle mashing! dont need anything getting in the way of a Singlespeeders momentum!

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I typically run on 16" frames. With 650's on my Reken frame, setup geared, I ran a 100m fork,flat bar/100m/5* stem and straight post. Now setup SS with low riser/90/5* stem, layback post and 80m fork(design spec says 100 fork but I think that was to help with sales of 100m forks and on complete bikes myself...). It feels more stable for me than setup with the 100. Could be the shorter A2C height of the 80 balanced out the increased height w/650 wheels? (Never had it setup with 26" wheels). In hindsight had I tried it with stem inverted with 100 fork it may have felt better.

For SS'ing I like the leg room the layback gives me while mashing up and out of the saddle. Probably not the perfect leg rotation fit "on" the saddle but as you know usually less time is spent there .

Hope better weather hits you soon so you can get some rides in to dial it in!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast