Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Solo Xc build-help what 27.5 tyres to go for?

Frame arrives Friday & all parts i either have in the garage or have bought over the past few months as i was toying with turning my Nomad C (31.5Lb) into a lighter bike, but when the Solo came out it made sense as a perfect UK XC/Trail bike, i feel a little over biked on the Nomad at times but will keep it for play & knarly trail rides.

Now the tyres are the last things to be sorted, so as 27.5 tyres are fairly new on the radar, i'm after suggestions please around the 600-700g range, that will be UST/Tubeless ready.

Its being built as my new Xc bike (to replace the Blur Xc Carbon 23lb & currently for sale). Solo target weight around the 25lb mark i hope, build as follows:

Large Black/Green Solo, Kashima RP23
    Fox 140mm CTD RLC Taper Kashima Black
    Hope Black Headset
    Easton Carbon XC Monkeybar
    Thompson 80mm Zero Degree stem
    Easton Carbon Seatpost (After 1st ride will want to add reverb!)
    Saddle - Fizik Gobi (Green Wings)
    Grips-green race face Strafe
    Brakes XT with ice rotors, 200/180
    Shifters-XTR
    F/R Mech- XTR
    Crank- 2x XTR
    Pedal-XT SPD
    Cassette-XTR 36-11
    Chain-XTR
    Cables-XTR
    Wheels- Arch EX on Pro 2, running tubeless with tape and stans.

Wanted Contis- but looks like there not ready till nov-jan
    Schwable?
    Geax?
    Maxxis? SC spec HR2/Ardent, just might be a bit hefty for xc duties...
    Who else is there?
    Ideas please folks,
    Cheers..
    For Sale- Blur XCc'11+fox 120
    Litespeed Ardennes '09,
    Xc/Trail - Solo C Black
    AMl- Nomad C Green '13+36's

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For XC, maybe throw the Ardent on the front and run a Crossmark rear?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Pure XC Pacenti Quasi-Motos. XC Trail Pacenti Neo-Motos. Got a customer on a Quasi rear Neo front. Loves them both but since he's not a pure XC guy he wants Neo-Motos front and rear next.

XC bike build with a 140mm fork? Everyone has their own flavor, I'm just asking.

mtbr member

Solo Xc build-help what 27.5 tyres to go for?

RaRa's are the lightest 275 tire I know of. The Schwalbe Rock Razor that is coming out looks nice. Maxxis is going to release a 275 Ikon some day as well. Nobby Nics are mid 700's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Maxxis Ikon 3C EXO TR 2.35 front / Schwalbe RaRa EVO SS 2.25 rear
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    I am on crossmarks right now and really happy with them all around, light and great for where I ride, but I'd love to try Ikon's when they come available.
    I was on rara's and really liked them, thought they were plenty of tire for me, until I rode the crossmarks. The crossmarks have more grip in loose over hard, feel like they roll just as easily, and are close to the same weight.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Running Schwalbe Ra Ra 2.25 Evo' s on my converted Blur, been an excellent tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Stay away from the Schwalbe offerings, they don't last long before the side lugs start tearing off from the bases. I'm running Ardent 2.25 rear and a Hans Dampf 2.25 front. Before the Ardent I had a Nobby Nic that tore all the side lugs off at the bases, I'm now starting to notice tearing on the base of the side lugs on the HD with about 100 miles on the tire. Suffice it to say I wont be buying Schwalbe tires anymore. I do have a HR2 2.3 coming in that I will swap the HD out for soon enough.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all comments, i will look into those tonight.
    Litespeed Ardennes '09,
    Xc/Trail - Solo C Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    I am on crossmarks right now and really happy with them all around, light and great for where I ride, but I'd love to try Ikon's when they come available.
    I was on rara's and really liked them, thought they were plenty of tire for me, until I rode the crossmarks. The crossmarks have more grip in loose over hard, feel like they roll just as easily, and are close to the same weight.
    Are you running them Tubeless as i cant see one on their site, or is that the eXC?
    CrossMark
    27.5X2.10 ( 53-584 ) Black 120 FOLDABLE 510 SINGLE 65 eXC
    Litespeed Ardennes '09,
    Xc/Trail - Solo C Black

mtbr member
    As for 140mm Xc bike, you told me what i was thinking, maybe what i'm trying to do right now is just wrong? Part of me doesn't want to ruin the build of the solo by having inadequate tyres and spending close to 100 on them only to change them out later. Only i have an Xc carbon bar, post etc sitting there, and the original intent was that i wanted this to be a 1 bike does all. I think i know deep down it won't happen and i'll want chunkier tyres, a wider bar & dropper post.
    Suffice to say i have been looking at 29ers for some time as an xc bike, maybe if the Blur doesn't sell complete i'll strip it and build one from those bits later.
    As a good half way house i think 2.25 700g max should do and i hope be a one time purchase that will last a good while.
    Litespeed Ardennes '09,
    Xc/Trail - Solo C Black

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Why not experiment a little to figure out what works best for your new bike, the way you ride, in your regular haunts? Tires are temporary in any case. Toss a QR post collar on it and go. If a build never got revised in some way after some shakedowns, I'd call it luck. You already spent a wad on the bike, a little extra to hit the sweet spot is a worthy investment, IMO. I'm doing that with my Bronson right now. Put in some saddle time before proclaiming the definitive build for your conditions and preferences. Enjoy...

mtbr member

Re: Solo Xc build-help what 27.5 tyres to go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    As for 140mm Xc bike, you told me what i was thinking, maybe what i'm trying to do right now is just wrong? Part of me doesn't want to ruin the build of the solo by having inadequate tyres and spending close to 100 on them only to change them out later. Only i have an Xc carbon bar, post etc sitting there, and the original intent was that i wanted this to be a 1 bike does all. I think i know deep down it won't happen and i'll want chunkier tyres, a wider bar & dropper post.
    Suffice to say i have been looking at 29ers for some time as an xc bike, maybe if the Blur doesn't sell complete i'll strip it and build one from those bits later.
    As a good half way house i think 2.25 700g max should do and i hope be a one time purchase that will last a good while.
    Schwalbe RR is a no go in mud. Great tire for dry trails.
    If I were you I would go with 120 or 130 fork, since you are trying to build a XC bike + you already have the Nomad...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Trojan, maybe you can put a spacer to drop the travel to 120? Not sure if Fox works like that or not. Dropping it down to 120mm would hopefully lower the front end and steepen the HA a bit would make it more aggressive in an XC kind of way, and I don't think it would throw the balance of the bike off much, but that is just a guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Strange you had side knobs ripping off your Schwalbes. I have over a 1k miles on my Ra Ra 2.25 and they look pretty good. I ride mostly on DG with several rocky areas, maybe it depends on what conditions you ride on to how well a tire holds up, of course some tires are going to last longer than others, usually tires with a harder rubber compound, but those tires don't usually grip as good. Sometimes it comes down to, do you want better traction of longer wear? Most times you can't have both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Strange you had side knobs ripping off your Schwalbes. I have over a 1k miles on my Ra Ra 2.25 and they look pretty good. I ride mostly on DG with several rocky areas, maybe it depends on what conditions you ride on to how well a tire holds up, of course some tires are going to last longer than others, usually tires with a harder rubber compound, but those tires don't usually grip as good. Sometimes it comes down to, do you want better traction of longer wear? Most times you can't have both.

I think it depends on if you're riding Trailstar or Pacestar compound tires. The trailstar tires get shredded, especially as a rear tire, in my experience.
    The pacestars to pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ran a PaceStar Nobby Nic on the rear and am currently running a TrailStar Hans Dampf on the front. They both tore edge knobs, the PaceStar Nic did last longer before the edge knobs tore off though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    All these new 27.5 tires, when you could be running 27.5 tires that have been around and proven to work for years? I still vote for Pacenti's.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    +1 Neo Motos 2.30 are the best in class.

mtbr member
    Geax Saguaro? Not sure if they work tubeless...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Schwalbe RR is a no go in mud. Great tire for dry trails.
    If I were you I would go with 120 or 130 fork, since you are trying to build a XC bike + you already have the Nomad...
    Hi, the shop is building it with a 140mm fork shimmed to 130mm as per SCruz reccomendations, so we will see how it fairs.
    As one of the other posters mentioned it'll probably be a case of tweaking the setup for a while till i feel at home on it.

Thanks for all your comments on tyre options, i have gone with a Front 2.4 Conti Mountain king front 725g & Rear 2.2 Conti X king 620g, hopefully grippy front & fast rolling rear that will clear well in mud, the black chilli compound is supposed to be very grippy, but it'll be a while till UK Spring time will give me dry trails again
    cheers
    nick
    Litespeed Ardennes '09,
    Xc/Trail - Solo C Black

mtbr member
    +2 on the Pacenti Meo moto.
    My HDR came with Ardents which are great on the rear for climbing but were too sketchy in the corners, especially on the front. The neo motos are light, roll easily and corner predictably. For bigger days I run a WTB Vigilante on the front, but that's more of a trail tire than XC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Schwalbe

Go for a Racing Ralph in back- can use a Ralph, Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic up front.
    I just finished building a 5010 with an XC build- I love it.
    No dropper- Thomson Masterpiece, SRAM XX1, light wheels with Ralph in back, Nic in front.
    23 lb 1 oz complete!
    Rides like a dream. Climbs as well as some race bikes that I have had- goes downhill and does technical stuff way better than a race bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat View Post
    Go for a Racing Ralph in back- can use a Ralph, Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic up front.
    I just finished building a 5010 with an XC build- I love it.
    No dropper- Thomson Masterpiece, SRAM XX1, light wheels with Ralph in back, Nic in front.
    23 lb 1 oz complete!
    Rides like a dream. Climbs as well as some race bikes that I have had- goes downhill and does technical stuff way better than a race bike.
    What width NN did you put in front? Was thinking of same combo but trying to decide between 2.25 and 2.35. Also, how's the wear factor? Lots of complaints about knobs tearing in Schwalbes.

Sounds like the perfect jack of all trades bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I am running a 2.25 Nic- I have a 2.35 Nic in reserve. I will try that next. THe 2.25 in 2 months old and still going strong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast