mtbr member
    May 2008

Solo vs HDR: new bike dilemma

I will be buying my next bike and my criterias are carbon, 650b, 140mm fork compatible trail bike. Ive narrowed it down to the Solo and HDR.

Solo pluses:
    Lighter by 1 lb
    Bb lower
    Seat stay angle is a bit steeper
    Bike radar review: 4.5/5 stars

HDR pluses:
    Slacker (although the solo would be slightly slacker with a 140 fork)
    Slightly longer travel
    Convertible to 150 travel

Can I just have both?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I went through the same thought process and if I was going to buy now I'd go with the Ibis. Personally I think the Ibis bike looks way cooler and I also think you get more for your money. If you buy the XT kit it is a lot cheaper going Ibis. I personally think Santa Cruz asks too much for their bikes. I have decided to wait until Pivot releases a 4-5" travel 650B bike before making a final decision. Probably have to wait until next year but would rather give it 6-12 months before pulling the trigger. I am hoping they come out with a Carbon Mach 427.

So for now I'll just have to slum it on my Ventana El Bastardo setup with 4" rockers.

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How soon you need to buy? Jamis and Norco will have carbon models for 2014 that fit that bill. Giant will also but not sure if a carbon model will happen. Others to follow I'm sure in 14

What kind of trail you ride could have an impact on choice (pun intended). Solo has a pretty low BB (13.1" IIRC) while the HDR is purportedly 13.5" in 130 mode with a 140 fork...if it's really true that's nice. Many Mojo HD conversions are closer to 14" and over. I like a high BB for my rocky terrain but if you ride allot of buff trails or not terribly techy stuff not so important.

Don't think you can get the Solo C as a frame only...yet, if that matters. HDR no problem. 1lb difference wouldn't bother me personally as the DW Link is a super efficient pedaling machine. HDR is pure eye candy will have even non bike riders drooling, especially in the Carroll Shelby Cobra blue/white colors. Solo looks like any typical mtn. bike. (OK, maybe that isn't important but for the big money might help justify). Maybe not that it matters but resale might be something to think about. A reasonably priced HD probably sells in just days. SC should be good but perhaps not that good. Took me months to sell my pristine top of the line Jamis Dakar B2 even at a low price. Lesson learned.

Best if you can test ride both of course to see how they fit and feel. Both look to be bang on fun little bikes that should rip some trail.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Easy.., Do you need a water bottle during your ride or you are the hydrapack type of rider?
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Actually even less difference between them If you normalize the geometry with the same 519mm A2C 130mm fork the geo is basically identical:

HDR HA 67.8, Solo HA 68
    HDR BBH 337.5mm, Solo BBH 334

The Solo listed geo is based on a 32 Float at 519mm A2C at 130, the HDR is based around a 34 Float at 534.4mm A2C at 140mm

Been on a HD for 3.5 yrs and owned a Nomad and Blur LTa before that. Can't imagine being uphappy with either but the two suspensions ride differently also find the STA and weight distribution different between the two brands.

Quote Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
    I will be buying my next bike and my criterias are carbon, 650b, 140mm fork compatible trail bike. Ive narrowed it down to the Solo and HDR.

Solo pluses:
    Lighter by 1 lb
    Bb lower
    Seat stay angle is a bit steeper
    Bike radar review: 4.5/5 stars

HDR pluses:
    Slacker (although the solo would be slightly slacker with a 140 fork)
    Slightly longer travel
    Convertible to 150 travel

Can I just have both?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    They are both great, so probably just go with whichever one you can get the best deal on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Do yall think it is fair to say that a dw link bike rides higher in its travel and thus might appeal more to a climber? Really hope Pivot launches the third amigo to this thread.

mtbr member
    I think the fact that you need a 140mm fork really pushes you away from the Solo.
    The Solo appeals to me because I am a trail rider in the North Central Texas area, nothing burly, and I'll have no issues with the lower bottom bracket and would like something with less travel as I really don't need more than about 120mm at the most. Most of the people under 30 around here ride 29er hardtails with 80mm forks and its plenty for around here, I'm just old and full squish is more comfy.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My take having not ridden either of these two, but I own an HD, my wife owns a Nomad, and I have ridden the TRc several times. I say this alot in response to these questions, but its really true--they are both premium bikes, one will not be better than the other, but they will definitely be different. Here are the differences as I see them:

- Suspension - DWL performs differently than VPP. I prefer DWL for its sportier more responsive pedalling, but others prefer VPP for its smoother more pillowy profile.

- Terrain - There is going to be a lot of overlap in performance between these two. But I think because the HDR is a more heavy duty frame, it will be a better performer in rough terrain--think BC, Moab, European enduro courses, etc. It will also be better served with a larger stanchion fork like a Fox 34, Pike, etc. By contrast, I don't think the HDR will be as nice as the Solo as the terrain tilts more towards the XC side of the slate--Oregon, Northern Cali, etc. In reality, the HDR 650b 130 is probably going to fit right in between the Solo and Bronson in terms of performance.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as I have yet to ride either of these and I doubt there is a person in the world that has ridden both of them...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The database issues are really strange. post not showing up.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 06-17-2013 at 06:14 AM.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've been wondering the same thing. I don't have any experience riding a DW link bike and won't be able to demo one. I originally started my new bike search a few years ago riding a Jamis 650B, like the improvement over the 26er I had, but didn't like the suspension of the Jamis, so I ended up on a 29er.

I had a Stumpjumper FSR at first, but after testing riding a TBc, I found I liked the VPP for climbing much better than the FSR. That said, I'm not sure how to explain it well, but one trait the VPP has that I didn't feel on the FSR was when I land a jump or go into a bank turn fast, the VPP seems to wallow, not sure if thats a good word for it.

I'm wondering if someone that has ridden both can give some good feedback in how they ride differently.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

Too Much Fun

Good job! Go HDR

Quote Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
    These are the good kinds of problems to have!

IMO, I'd go HDR. I've spend solid time on SC VPP bikes (BLT, Nomad) and while initially was pretty enamored of VPP, I sort of fell out of love with it, particularly with the climbing on rougher, square edged stuff. But the reality is that modern VPP bikes ride really well, so it's more of a feel thing. I just didn't dig the feel of the VPP rear end after a while, and I spent a LOT of time trying to dial it in.

For me DW just rides better both up (a lot better) AND down (not as "plush" but more controlled feel...) DW feels more like it just Gets It Done and stays out of the way. On VPP I felt like I was way too aware of the suspension doing it's thing.

I also agree with the other comment about pricing. SC bikes are NICE, but I think they are carrying a bit of a premium. Ibis is a smaller company and their customer focus and service is really 2nd to None. Hell, if you call, email or even post up here there's a damn good chance you'll get one of the founders to help you out. To me that's worth gold.

Needless to say, I've got an HD right now and it's probably the best riding bike I've ever owned, and I've had a lot of bikes.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Would be worth waiting for the Knolly 650b bikes later this year.

If you can't wait then also check these out: GT 2014: Four models of the Fury - and Two Trailbikes: 650B Sensor and Force - Pinkbike

dwt
    mtbr member

Solo vs HDR: new bike dilemma

Jamis will have a lower price point carbon next year, 130mm I believe. If 10mm makes the difference, 2014 Norco Sight carbon could be worth waiting for.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If Kona interest you at all I know from two sources they're planning on releasing 13 different 650b models if your interested in waiting a few months