mtbr member
    Apr 2006

so much for the forum name change...new reign 96er!

just wanted to share my latest experimentation, a '11 reign (plain not X) with a G2 140mm revelation 29er....initial 'round the block tests are positive, can't wait to get on a trail with it this weekend or next. still have my trance 96er, just wanted to see how a longer travel 96er with higher offset fork would feel....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    just wanted to add, i'm pretty stoked to try it with a 650b in the rear since it is now confirmed to fit.

mtbr member
    Awesome - keep us posted on how it rides in this config and then in Beast9er mode!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    just some notes:

after messing around with the two bikes side by side, the reign as a 96er goes a fair bit closer to the ground (~3/4" more) at full compression (no air in either fork or shock) than the trance did, even though it purportedly has a higher BB meaning the difference in travel is more at the bottom end which is exactly what i was hoping for...

also, as a side note, the reign has a direct mount front derailleur which i was surprised the trance did not get.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Looking forward to B9er report.

Sail On!
    Nice!!!!
    Hows the toe clearance?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    toe clearance?

could be an issue if i wore 10000cm shoes....which i don't think they even make anymore...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

96 ftw

Nice bike, I can't wait for the weather to decide what it wants to do so i can take my new ride out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    put a neomoto 650b on the rear, pretty much a game changer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    so badass:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    so badass:
    Nice!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Ride report

rode it for 5 hrs saturday up in southern mississippi.

amazing, it rides like a bike!

J/K....but not really.

terrain consists of some pretty decent sized rolling hills, alot of rooty but flowing singletrack.

conditions were mixed, either muddy/sloppy or damp/tacky/dry.

i love this bike, it's everything i hoped for and then some.

tire clearance at one very small area of the bottom of the swingarm seemed a little too tight, but after riding it in some serious sticky mud, it is absolutely not an issue for me, YMMV.

a scottish friend of mine from way back just over on a visit, happened to have a free day came along with me and spent a couple miles on it too. at first glance, he thought it would be a total porker to ride, sloppy slow handling too big wheels and too squishy. but when it was time to switch bikes back, he commented that he really needed to rethink his philosophy of bikes.

the 140mm revelation G2 geometry up front steers similar to the way this bike set up with a 160mm fox 36 w/650b feels.

out back, if this bike only had 650b fr/rr or 26/29 or 26/650b the difference would have been much more subtle, but in combination with 29 fr it really feels good.

at walking pace, sure it's a bit lazy (but not floppy) **but standing climbing, this bikes is stuck to the ground and goes around any switchback as good as any other bike i've ever ridden. descending is pure magic, very confident inspiring, neutral handling.

it's no secret i like a rearward weight bias when seated, and am a standing masher for climbing (~3yrs in central PA with a 1x1 geared 2:1 as an only bike will do that to a person) this bike caters to me the best yet. i posted a bit about my '11 trance 96er about a year and half ago, recently had thoughts about going back to 650b on the front only, then figured WTF might as well go the other way, B9er or whateveryouwanttocallit and i couldn't be happier.

Last edited by onespeedpaul; 03-11-2012 at 08:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just a little update, got to ride this bike in some premium locations the past two months, Denver area, Moab, flagstaff and bull mtn north georgia. Very happy with it, suits me just fine! Oh, and I stripped the paint to reveal the great raw finish. so much for the forum name change...new reign 96er!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340844339.429551.jpg

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    Oh, and I stripped the paint to reveal the great raw finish.
    Hey what did you use to strip it? Looks real clean.

conjoinicorned
    AWESOME. Great bike, I like a lot and I want one!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Used chemical strip available at any hardware store, sometimes called aircraft stripper or stripeze.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Very nice. I saw a 9B Reign up in the parking lot at angelfire a month or so ago...heard it rode great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Good to know I'm not the only one! This frame is so versatile, seen guys running it with 180 fox36's and angle sets, offset shock bushings, an different length shocks to dial it in to be exactly what you want it to

mtbr member

bump for a great thread!

onespeedpaul,

i've got a '11 reign (just sold my '08 RIP9), and was this close to coverting the reign to 650B front and rear, when i stumbled on this thread. strong work on your conversion projects!!!

you posted on this other thread, "...for the sake of curiosity [i] set the same reign up with 650bfront/26rear and am looking forward to getting some rides in that way..."

so how does the new 650Bfront/26rear mod compare to the previous 29front/650Brear mod?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    amazingly it still rides like a bike!!!

really it's all subtle compromises, for example when riding 29fr/27.5rr, the 29er forks are max 140mm travel (which on at least the '11 revelation is not really 140, more like 135, and a HUGE (over 1/2") amount of clearance at full stuff/compression which would be better put to use as a additional ~5mm of down travel but that's for another thread) it was super stable at speed but a little wander-ey at walking pace and slower...and the only time i ever felt the BB was too high was the ocasional re-mount on an off camber/rockrooty area.

as it sits now, i reduced the travel of a 36 van 180 to a true useable 6" (~152.5mm) and run the neomoto 2.3 650b in there coupled with a 26x2.3 rampage out back....really i think i'm diggin the switch to full coil as much as whatever wheel size it's got.....be glad you got this gen reign, it's truly the swiss army knife of bikes!