Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

So its back to back World XC championships for Nino Schurter on 650Bs

Union Cycliste Internationale

Anyone know what wheel size women's repeat world champion Julie Bresset is using ?
    SR Suntour announced two new 650B models after she won the olympic gold using a 26" Axon model. Is she riding the Bs now or still the 26ers?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Both Julie and Maja were on 27.5s.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    We'll be adding DH World Champ later today when Steve Smith wins on a 650b davinci.

mtbr member
    Yeah, no offense, but attributing Nino's win to him being on a 27.5 wheel is like saying he won because of the clothes he was wearing. Nino could win races on my daughter's 20" Giant Revel.

mtbr member
    I still think what we are seeing on the pro circuit with wheel size is meaningful in that the top riders can exercise some freedom of choice as to their bike set up.

You can see an example of this 'freedom of choice' with the full suspension vs hardtail choice. I am pretty sure most bike manufacture sponsors would like to see all their riders on expensive full suspensions for the advertising, but for the short cross country races with a large proportion of the track being buff hardpack with very steep climbing (interspersed with short sections of some really scary technical sh*t), most of the riders prefer the hardtail for most of the courses. IMHO, these guys and gals at the top DO have some freedom to choose among the wheel sizes their sponsor has available.

Given how close the racing has been, especially on the women's side, everyone who can is going to choose what their testing shows they are fastest and most confident on. The fact that Nino, Julie and Maja are on 27.5 is significant to me.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Ultimately it's just another component in the big picture. And I think we're past the point of 27.5 needing to prove itself. It's simply another, viable component option. Use it if you like.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu View Post
    I still think what we are seeing on the pro circuit with wheel size is meaningful in that the top riders can exercise some freedom of choice as to their bike set up.

You can see an example of this 'freedom of choice' with the full suspension vs hardtail choice. I am pretty sure most bike manufacture sponsors would like to see all their riders on expensive full suspensions for the advertising, but for the short cross country races with a large proportion of the track being buff hardpack with very steep climbing (interspersed with short sections of some really scary technical sh*t), most of the riders prefer the hardtail for most of the courses. IMHO, these guys and gals at the top DO have some freedom to choose among the wheel sizes their sponsor has available.

Given how close the racing has been, especially on the women's side, everyone who can is going to choose what their testing shows they are fastest and most confident on. The fact that Nino, Julie and Maja are on 27.5 is significant to me.
    This.

While no bike ever won a race without the fastest rider on it, at the level these pros are competing at, the wrong bike/equipment can lose a race. I'm sure elites carefully choose every part their sponsors offer to achieve the best possible competitive advantage.

Julie and Maja especially significant, moving from 29" to 27.5". 27.5" makes intuitive sense for smaller stature riders. Schurter was the prototype. Inevitable AFAIC that many women would make the same choice.
    Last edited by dwt; 09-01-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Ultimately it's just another component in the big picture. And I think we're past the point of 27.5 needing to prove itself. It's simply another, viable component option. Use it if you like.
    Finally, the "it's all marketing" and "can't tell the difference" trolls will have to crawl back under their bridges and STFU for good. And David Copperfield will have to commit suicide.

(Breathes huge sigh of relief)

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    We'll be adding DH World Champ later today when Steve Smith wins on a 650b davinci.
    Sadly Stevie had some bad luck and crashed in the first turn taking his chances away right from the start
    Last edited by LCW; 09-01-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Sadly Stevie had some bad luck and crashed in the first turn taking his chances away right from the start
    these guys were talking XC but the DH race was one of the most exciting I've seen. Happy for Minnar for so many reasons. He's just pure class!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Julie and Maja especially significant, moving from 29" to 27.5". 27.5" makes intuitive sense for smaller stature riders. Schurter was the prototype. Inevitable AFAIC that many women would make the same choice.
    Pretty sure Joland Neff and Pauline Ferrand were both on 27.5 (1st and 2nd in U23 women's). And both Pendrel and Nash were on 27.5s for the first time, although neither had particularly strong races.

Still I am not sure wheel size is actually significant. But in a couple of weeks I will happen to have three Orbea Alma's; one 26, one 27.5 and one 29 with identical specs. And I also happen to have a stages power meter. Do you think there will be a measurable difference?
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Yeah, no offense, but attributing Nino's win to him being on a 27.5 wheel is like saying he won because of the clothes he was wearing. Nino could win races on my daughter's 20" Giant Revel.
    True: The bike doesn't win squat without the fastest rider on it.

But, put Nino on the 20", he beats me, you and your daughter on anything, but against other elites on 26", 27", or 29", not so much. When pros compete at the elite level against each other, the equipment they use totally matters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Both Julie and Maja were on 27.5s.
    Have to correct above:
    Quite mixed use by the Giant pro XC team
    Maja rode 29er
    Jolanda rode 29er in XC and 27.5 in the XCO
    Pauline rode 29er
    Fabian rode 29er
    Emil rode 27.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    All the riders that were riding, and some winning on 27.5ers just confirms what I knew all along and have argued for and despite what all the mags say, 27.5 is awesome for xc, and not just for all-mountain, which seemed to be what everyone has, until this year, marketing their bikes for. I've been riding/ racing my converted SC Blur XCc for 2 years now and have been behind the movement since its inception.
    To the naysayers, 27.5 is here to stay, and I'd bet within 5 years, they will be the dominant wheel size, overtaking both 26" and 29".

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    This is great stuff, and it makes me wonder once again why it seems like EVERY company is coming out with a nigh-identical 6" travel 650b "enduro" bike instead of XC stuff which is what most people want/ride on a daily basis. Crazy.

But hey, not complaining here! I'm building 650b XC bikes for all kinds of folks to have all kinds of fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So its back to back World XC championships for Nino Schurter on 650Bs-img_0272.jpg  

Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My mistake.

It certainly looked like Maja was on 27.5 in XCO but 27.5 is close enough to 29 that it is hard too tell.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HkNeef View Post
    Have to correct above:
    Quite mixed use by the Giant pro XC team
    Maja rode 29er
    Jolanda rode 29er in XC and 27.5 in the XCO
    Pauline rode 29er
    Fabian rode 29er
    Emil rode 27.5

mtbr member

very interested in what you find

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Pretty sure Joland Neff and Pauline Ferrand were both on 27.5 (1st and 2nd in U23 women's). And both Pendrel and Nash were on 27.5s for the first time, although neither had particularly strong races.

Still I am not sure wheel size is actually significant. But in a couple of weeks I will happen to have three Orbea Alma's; one 26, one 27.5 and one 29 with identical specs. And I also happen to have a stages power meter. Do you think there will be a measurable difference?
    I do think you can see a measurable difference, but this is mainly based on feel and you're going to have actual numbers!

I hope you can report the results on here or the xc racing forum. I think many people would be interested in such a test.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    This is great stuff, and it makes me wonder once again why it seems like EVERY company is coming out with a nigh-identical 6" travel 650b "enduro" bike instead of XC stuff which is what most people want/ride on a daily basis. Crazy.

But hey, not complaining here! I'm building 650b XC bikes for all kinds of folks to have all kinds of fun!
    I agree most riders i see dont need enduro type bikes with the trails they are regularly on. I would to see more lite xc bikes come out

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I have been wondering this since the Olympics. But I can't help but wonder if Niño would have won Olympic gold if he had been on an FS Scott vs the Hardtail.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not certain XC bikes are the answer. But the Trail bike standard we had until this year (?) of a relaxed handling and an extra inch of travel for comfort and yet can be jumped and thrown at rough, rocky, or rooty descents while still climbing with ease I think works really well for my customers and people who just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    I'm not certain XC bikes are the answer. But the Trail bike standard we had until this year (?) of a relaxed handling and an extra inch of travel for comfort and yet can be jumped and thrown at rough, rocky, or rooty descents while still climbing with ease I think works really well for my customers and people who just want to ride.
    This, exactly. The 5-6" bikes coming out pedal great, but can be taken anywhere to ride almost anything. You may not "need" that much travel, but to me it's just more fun. Most everyone I see is riding something like this, be it 26, 27 or 29, and I don't think it's just marketing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here's something to think about. Nino was running 650b dugast tubulars (probably the 50mm versions). The rolling diameter of these will be very similar to a 26" X-King 2.4 or even a 26" Race King 2.2. Small tyre on 650B = large tyre on 26".

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=TigWorld;10650743]Here's something to think about. Nino was running 650b dugast tubulars (probably the 50mm versions). The rolling diameter of these will be very similar to a 26" X-King 2.4 or even a 26" Race King 2.2. Small tyre on 650B = large tyre on 26".

In terms of approximate diameter, well, yeah... but that's about it. Your point is?

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

[QUOTE=doismellbacon;10650813]
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    In terms of approximate diameter, well, yeah... but that's about it. Your point is?
    Jeez, can something simply be interesting without being a direct challenge?

What i took from it was if tire diameter is ultimately equal, the "roll-over" benefits are about the same too. That's all. Just an interesting aside.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=RTM;10651618]
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post

Jeez, can something simply be interesting without being a direct challenge?

What i took from it was if tire diameter is ultimately equal, the "roll-over" benefits are about the same too. That's all. Just an interesting aside.
    Sure, something can be interesting, and I don't feel challenged... I agree with just about everything you've said in this thread. But generalized blanket statements like TigWorld's "Small tyre on 650B = large tyre on 26" are often the lead in to a bunch of quasi-factual troll spew that has made the 650b forum a much more sucky place to discuss things than it used to be. Maybe this isn't one of those cases.... no offense to anybody. If the poster is just realizing that small tires on a big rim can have the same diameter as big tires on a small rim, then, well, OK....

But back on topic, the turnout for 650b wheels was truly amazing at Worlds. XC was not surprising... all those 5' tall ladies running 29ers in recent years have always looked completely "over-wheeled" to me. However, I was really surprised how many were running them in the downhill...as you said, it's a viable option and doesn't have to prove itself. Acceptance will only grow as more DH fork and tire options come on line... some will run it, some won't. I think it will be really interesting if any of the top riders start choosing different wheel sizes for different courses, like already do with tires and suspension setup.

Also, for sure, Minaar: 100% bonafied class act... cool under pressure and a true champion. Mick Hannah too....so close once again... heartbreaker.... and Graves' podium on a trail bike....truly impressive. I thought the course, and especially the tv coverage (as usual!) of the DH were pretty weak though. No disrespect to the riders.... I know they're going balls out and taking risks...but when nearly half the contenders are getting taken out in the first turn, half the course is a nearly straight wide open pedally road, and for 9 out of 10 riders the camera picks up their 4 min run at the 3 min mark.... it all kinda leaves me wondering what could have been..but I guess that's racing eh? GREAT competition and sportsmanship.....course and coverage...mehh. Just my 2¢

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast