Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

So how's the crop of 150-160 mm high end 650b FS bikes looking for 2013?

I've been focused on skiing (season started in October) so haven't been spending time on the forums. I'm potentially in the market for a non-faux-bar, light & stiff frame with 150-160 mm travel approx on both ends

Not interested in modifying a 26er frame, since I'll be running large volume 650b tires.

Not interested in low-end bikes. Not interested in a reduced travel Mojo HD or converting a 26er w/ skinny tires and/or shock to lower the BB.

I'm a Turner owner and fan, will demo a Burner when I can & see if 140 could be enough for what I'm after.

I've owned Intense bikes, not thrilled with the company (and both my local Intense dealers stopped carrying the brand since dealing w/ Intense sucked so much) but I'll keep an open mind about the Carbine.

For a budget alu bike, my Norco Truax is fine but I'm not feeling the urge to get a 650 Norco frame although I guess that's a backup option.

I think I heard that Pivot is coming out w/ a 650b Mach 5.7 carbon, correct? That would be a strong candidate.

I don't recall anything rumored from Santa Cruz.

What brands am I missing?
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    found a spec table on mtbr comparing 5 'AM' bikes. nothing new there.

U $ 4 O?

need 160mm...

coil el Guapo or Chilcotin, still waiting. Want to build up some DL31 rims... maybe brant has warmed up to the idea now?

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    found a spec table on mtbr comparing 5 'AM' bikes. nothing new there.
    no need here.. 36mm vengeance or fox sounds good to me ~ 66

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rocky Altitude carbon?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ventana Zeus

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Banshee Spitfire V2 140mm
    Banshee Rune V2 160mm
    Norco Range 160mm
    Norco Sight 140mm
    Scott Genius 150mm
    Rocky Altitude 150mm
    Ventana Zeus is a faux bar but 140/160 convertible
    Lenz Lunchbox 160mm
    Waltworks ???
    Nicolai AM?
    KHS 6600? 140mm

Others are avaialbe in Europe we don't get here.

There is NO mention form Pivot regarding a Mach 5.7 with 650B (I wish) Current model (5.7C at least) can fit a smaller 650B tire and the shock has to be shimmed.

I believe SC will be jumping in soon and I'm hoping for some sweet 650 announcements from Pivot and Ibis perhaps at the Sea Otter classic near the end of April. Would love to also see a 650 Giant Reign. 2014 will be 650B gone wild is my prediction.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    [QUOTE=skidad; 2014 will be 650B gone wild is my prediction.[/QUOTE]

You are exactly right, I don't think people realize just how big the 650b steamroller is going to be in 2014-15. The floodgates are opening. What we are seeing now is barely a trickle. I predict the death of 26" in anything other than DJ style bikes within those 2 years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    You are exactly right, I don't think people realize just how big the 650b steamroller is going to be in 2014-15. The floodgates are opening. What we are seeing now is barely a trickle. I predict the death of 26" in anything other than DJ style bikes within those 2 years.
    Subscribed for future pointing and laughing.

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    need 160mm coil el Guapo or Chilcotin, still waiting. Want to build up some DL31 rims... maybe brant has warmed up to the idea now?
    Add to this 2.4 DHF, BB, MM, Butcher etc. Maybe carbon main frame after seeing the santa cruz carbon nomad vid....maybe.. But no carbon rear tri for me. ~And absolutely NO NEED for 150mm or less travel~

mtbr member
    "Ventana Zeus"

Isnt that a feux/four bar? I thought he said no thanks to that.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    Subscribed for future pointing and laughing.
    So how's the crop of 150-160 mm high end 650b FS bikes looking for 2013?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361591575.681263.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks. OK, confirmed what I thought...very few good options currently. I'd forgotten about the rocky mtn. The Rune is a cool frame--I followed those threads last year--but is too heavy for this application ie overlaps with my truax.

Guess I have to wait until sea otter.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I only do single pivots (aka faux bar), sorry.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year. There are a lot of bikes being built but many people have no idea that 650b even exists. I don't know of a single shop here in SLC that carries even one 650b bike (to be fair I only regularly visit a couple of them). Either we'll see a lot more offerings next year or it'll be the end. IMO it would have made more sense to appeal to/build for the XC market first (that's where the most people/$ are) but 150+mm travel seems to be what everyone decided the 650b world needed.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I only do single pivots (aka faux bar), sorry.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year. There are a lot of bikes being built but many people have no idea that 650b even exists. I don't know of a single shop here in SLC that carries even one 650b bike (to be fair I only regularly visit a couple of them). Either we'll see a lot more offerings next year or it'll be the end. IMO it would have made more sense to appeal to/build for the XC market first (that's where the most people/$ are) but 150+mm travel seems to be what everyone decided the 650b world needed.

-Walt
    Not to veer off topic, and I'm certainly no expert, but isn't the XC market already pretty thick with 29ers?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Sure, but they (29ers, that is) are over-represented on MTBR and among the die-hards. You make most of your money selling bikes to MUCH less hardcore riders who are doing plain-jane XC riding. Those folks are looking to move up/on from an older 26" hardtail or short-travel FS bike. Plenty of opportunity to sell them on a 650b wheel in an XC travel range.

Selling bikes to "quiver" riders seems like a great idea if you spend all day on MTBR where we're all obsessed, but in the real world most people just have one mountain bike and it's for riding XC.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Khaspir View Post
    Not to veer off topic, and I'm certainly no expert, but isn't the XC market already pretty thick with 29ers?
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

dwt
    mtbr member

Interesting indeed. Predictions that 26" will become obsolete and at the same time predictions that 27.5" could be doomed in a year.

As far as 27.5" for XC market, it seems that the thinking was 29" owns that already, while 27.5" works well in the 5-6" travel area, so build the best bikes for the platform. Scott is the perfect example: did not at all milk Nino Schurter's success on the 27.5" HT and are selling only 29" Scales but no 27.5". No 27.5" Spark planned AFAIK. Meanwhile 26" eliminated from Genius line while the 29" and the 27.5" compete with each other.

Definitely agree more 27.5" product necessary: Spesh, Trek, Giant and SC bikes needed in XC, trail, AM and even DH models this year or next. That would do the trick in itself to make the wheel size credible and viable. That or continued success in XC racing, and new success in Enduro and DH and the resulting publicity.

Notwithstanding all the *****ing that the industry is hyping the tweener wheel size and forcing it down the public's throat, the truth is that it is still exotic and cult, popular on MTBR and some of the bike mags. But low supply in the retail shops, not too common on the trails. Yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    We are selling out of Altitudes before they even hit our showroom floor. If you live in Canada and want a carbon Altitude especially size L you need to go to a dealer now, Rocky is sold out. I've never seen anything like it, never before have we sold bikes before they even went in to production. I live 40kms away from the Rockies, geographical area obviously plays a roll.

A lot of shops bought one or two bikes just to dip their toes in the water, now they are kicking themselves in the ass. We bought as many as we could. Folks I'm telling you, it's a freight train coming full speed ahead. At the doubter above that subscribed just for laughs, dude you won't even be around in two years, I'll be the one standing here saying "I told you so".

Major bike companies have seen the future, they have cancelled 26" production runs for 2014 and beyond. The future is 650b and 29er. I'm looking forward to the Rocky Mountain Element 650b.
    Last edited by Saddle Up; 02-23-2013 at 07:10 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I'm confused - they are sold out, but you should hurry to your dealer? For what?

I wonder how many they made, that is quite impressive even for a small company. I guess they're kicking themselves for not making more!

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    We are selling out of Altitudes before they even hit our showroom floor. If you live in Canada and want a carbon Altitude especially size L you need to go to a dealer now, Rocky is sold out. I've never seen anything like it, never before have we sold bikes before they even went in to production. I live 40kms away from the Rockies, geographical area obviously plays a roll.

A lot of shops bought one or two bikes just to dip their toes in the water, now they are kicking themselves in the ass. We bought as many as we could. Folks I'm telling you, it's a freight train coming full speed ahead. At the doubter above that subscribed just for laughs, dude you won't even be around in two years, I'll be the one standing here saying "I told you so".

Major bike companies have seen the future, they have cancelled 26" production runs for 2014 and beyond. The future is 650b and 29er. I'm looking forward to the Rocky Mountain Element 650b.
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I'm confused - they are sold out, but you should hurry to your dealer? For what?

I wonder how many they made, that is quite impressive even for a small company. I guess they're kicking themselves for not making more!

-Walt
    I get what he is saying, Walt. Shops (and customers) can't order more, but shops that did order haven't gotten them yet, so there is a chance a customer could reserve one of those.

I ordered mine a month ago, won't see it until April...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

www.derbyrims.com

-Walt
    Dealers buy most of their bikes without pre-orders from riders, otherwise you'd see empty dealer showrooms. Manufacturers require minimum order numbers to qualify as a dealer for a brand.

For the OP, IMO, the Banshee Rune having optional 26"/27.5" setup looks well designed for covering XC to DH park days. 160mm travel this year and a major upgrade in pivots from traction killing bushings to roller bearings for the 2013 models. And the Norco Range 27.5 (650b) has a very aggressive horst link design which should well balance pedaling and climbing squat with 160mm travel having a high anti-squat rate, and very active rear braking design.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    For the OP, IMO, the Banshee Rune having optional 26"/27.5" setup looks well designed for covering XC to DH park days. 160mm travel this year and a major upgrade in pivots from traction killing bushings to roller bearings for the 2013 models. And the Norco Range 27.5 (650b) has a very aggressive horst link design which should well balance pedaling and climbing squat with 160mm travel having a high anti-squat rate, and very active rear braking design.
    Banshee has done a terrific job on the re-design of the new Rune, Spitfire, and Prime. The KS Link suspension is excellent and efficient with performance figures shockingly similar to the DW Link Mojo HD and Giant Reign Maestro. They classify it as VPP but it's action is very different from Intense or SC. A Rune can be built in the 31-32lb range and a Spitfire 27-28lbs. Personally I will most likely be getting the 140mm Spitfire as my next bike. I test rode the Prime 29'er for a day to experience the KS Link and it was awesome IMO.

Honestly I really thought the new Altitude was gonna be the one for me but I have now ridden 3 Rockies with the horizontal shock setup including the new 29'er Instinct and they have done nothing for me. I also didn't like at all what I saw about the new Altitude on Antonio Osuna's suspension blog. http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...tude-2013.html

Here is the Banshee Rune...much better http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...e-v2-2013.html

Here is the Norco Range which is also excellent http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...-275-2013.html
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

dwt
    mtbr member

Good news/bad news/ good news.

Good, that there is hot demand for these bikes. Maybe that will spur the big boys into action.

Bad, that some of these early adopters sold out so soon. They lost out on sales; unhappy consumers didn't get they wanted and expected 2013. The shops will have no inventory on hand to demo to the curious and expand the demand base.

Good, the demand might suffer a hit, but it won't go away. More bikes by the current and other bike companies could/should be produced 2014, and the sales should be solid.

We shall see.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Oh, ok, I get it now. Duh.

Shops are in my experience pretty conservative about ordering new high end bikes without preorders so if they've really reserved the entire production run already that is *awesome*. I need some true 650b DH tires for my 160mm bike so if lots of them sell that will be a good thing.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I get what he is saying, Walt. Shops (and customers) can't order more, but shops that did order haven't gotten them yet, so there is a chance a customer could reserve one of those.

I ordered mine a month ago, won't see it until April...
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think my 150 mm Scott Genius is a great XC as well as Trail machine. I'm not hitting any drops bigger than 3' and the lock out makes for a great climbing rig. I'm sure that any of the FS rigs with lock out (CTD, etc...) will climb well. The bikes are kind of hard to find though, probably because so many savvy Early Adopters are jumping on what is available.. I may still have a line on other Scotts. It will be sweet in a year or two when most or all companies are putting out 650 rigs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast