Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JRR View Post
    Tough choice, I wouldn't let the 142 sway you on the hard tail.
    I think it's a pretty big thing to consider. Since owning a trail bike with a 142x12 I'll never go back to QR. I look at it the same way as a thru axle fork, I had my first 20mm fork in 2004 and haven't owned a fork that wasn't either 20 or 15mm since.

But then again, if you've never ridden it then you don't know what you're missing

JRR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes agree 100 percent on the fork ,but the rear triangle of a hard tail not so much.Flex were the chain stays meet the bb area will be felt first then seatstay to seat tube .The frames that have the rear triangle attached to the front with linkages and pivot bolts can use all the help they can get for a 250# rider

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The '10 Evil Sovereign will do 650b. I've seen photos somewhere on mtbr. I ride a Sov & when the dropouts are pull all the way back, there's a lot of clearance. If I could afford a new fork,tires, & wheelset, I'd give it a try. May look into it in a year or so.

mtbr member
    Me and my son have been riding Jamis Dragon 650, fun bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slack HT hardtails?-jamis-dragon-650b.jpg  

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That chromag looks awesome

The Jamis is pretty similar to the Kona Explosif on paper. The Kona has the advantage of a modern headtube and swappable dropouts, if you care about those. It's also available as a frame-only. The Jamis has the advantage of greater availability.

The Chameleon also looks awesome. The big advantage that it has over the Kona is that you can run it as a 26er if you decide you're not into 27.5 after all. The Kona's bottom bracket is probably too low to run as a 26er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    @RSAmerica - I'd also add that the green Jamis looks sweet, I'm not as big a fan of the new color, not that it makes any difference to the ride

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joshboston View Post
    That chromag looks awesome

The Jamis is pretty similar to the Kona Explosif on paper. The Kona has the advantage of a modern headtube and swappable dropouts, if you care about those. It's also available as a frame-only. The Jamis has the advantage of greater availability.

The Chameleon also looks awesome. The big advantage that it has over the Kona is that you can run it as a 26er if you decide you're not into 27.5 after all. The Kona's bottom bracket is probably too low to run as a 26er.
    I agree, those are some important points to consider for the Kona and SC over the Jamis and both also have ISCG mounts. I could also use my 26" studded tires/wheels with the SC for winter use since I don't think there are any studded 650 tires yet.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    The head tube on the Jamis Dragon 650 is 1 1/8 which does limit the fork choices. That being said the White Brothers Loop TCR 650B fork performs great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Decided to try the angle headset route, and ordered a Works 1.5 degree set for the Instigator frame. This will put the HTA at 69.5, and I imagine I will be pairing it with a 120 or 130 fork (probably the White Brothers), which will slacken it out a bit more relative to the base measurements. I will update as the parts come together.

Ricky
    Nov 2008
    I have everything to building a Kona Explosif 650b. But I don't have the frame, and looks like I'm not getting one soon. I should have started the other way around, from the frame up.

I've seen your options, the problem is that I have a tapered Fork 32 Float 27.5 120mm. So, some of the frames won't work with it.

Also, since I have a Niner rigid Fork laying around, I was planing on converting the Kona Explosif (that I don't have) to a rigid Single Speed for racing a winter series. So I need it to have SS option.

I know there are a lot of options on Ti, but they are just too expensive. The 456 C is an option, the SC Chamaleon is another one, but I think they are a little too slack for converting it into rigid SS racer, even with a niner fork. I may try it.

Or I should save several dollar since I fall in love with that Pucker from Durango Bike Co. that is in the back of my BIKE magazines

Any other one you know?? I don't care for material now (exept Ti or really expensive Carbon frames). Just to be tapered/44mm, sliders/EBB or at least BB30, 650b or 650b compatible, not too steep, not too slack (around 67/69, optimized for 120/130mm travel)

hehehehe ... I should start drawing it and call a builder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2