mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Sight killer b vs Bronson

Hey guys I'm looking at picking up one of these two once the new 2014's are released. I am setting my limit around 5500 to give you an idea of which model id be looking at. I currently am in the process of a move to Tacoma Washington (Mcchord Air Force Base), I currently live in jersey so the terrain is going to change a bit! I am on a ti ht 29er now, a motobecane ti team fly. I am looking for a great all around bike that will either compliment the ht I have now or straight up replace it. I like flowy single track with descents but to come down you have to go up right? So climbing is important. I was wondering what everyone thought how these two compared at my price limit for what I am looking for? The components and such.

Thanks guys!

I Ride for Donuts
    Depending on how much you want to climb, I'd consider the Solo... or are you set on Bronson-level travel? I have read that the Norco doesn't like to climb, but I've never ridden one.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Washington and especially BC to the North is awesome for its super technical and difficult XC/AM, but there's a lot of flow to be had too. As between the two, I'd focus on the suspension designs more than anything as both are really top level bikes. Even if you can't demo the exact bikes, try to demo a couple of VPP and a couple of horst link (fsr) bikes in similar travels and you'll get a better idea of how you prefer them.

Keep on Rockin...
    Those two bikes I've never ridden but have been on both FSR and VPP bikes. Aside from past bikes , I'm on a Stumpy FSR now and a TBLTc.

Coming from a HT, go with the VPP. I think that is an easy choice.

HT riders spend a lot more time out of the saddle pedaling. Moving to a FS you'll still do that for a while. The VVP responds way better to that type of pedalling. The FSR is definitely a sit and spin design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Coming from a HT, go with the VPP. I think that is an easy choice.

HT riders spend a lot more time out of the saddle pedaling. Moving to a FS you'll still do that for a while. The VVP responds way better to that type of pedalling. The FSR is definitely a sit and spin design.
    My two current horst bikes pedal better out of the saddle than the VPP bikes they replaced. The devil is in the details.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I've owned 3 VPP bikes and can say, without a question of a doubt, the Bronson just KILLS them. Rides NOTHING like the other VPP iterations (which I'd left in the dust for a DW link bike) so take some of these "opinions without actually riding one" with a grain of salt. Santa Cruz isn't kidding when they say they have a culmination of 20 years worth of bike engineering experience wrapped up into the Bronson.
    Have not ridden a Norco and was actually planning on buying a Sight (until they sold out) but I'm sure glad I didn't because the Bronson (which I actually HAVE ridden) is just SICKSAUCE! I don't need to ride a Sight, the Bronson is exactly what I'm looking for - Nice aggro geo for DH, corners better than a Nomad and climbs better than a Blur! I was concerned about the long(ish) chainstays and VPP brake feedback but that didn't play into the equation when I rode it. The fun factor was off the charts. Now this WAS the first carbon bike I'd ridden as well as 650b so how much that played into it I'm not sure but all I know is that I'm getting one!

My 2 cents,

G MAN in the GREAT Pacific NW (you will LOVE it here!)
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've also owned every generation of VPP from Santa Cruz and Gmann is correct, they have it dialed on the Bronson.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm looking at the norco range (a bit more travel than the sight) and the bronson. I currently have a blur lt2 (140mm rear/160mm front) and am looking for a bit more travel. While it's fun to debate keep in mind it's easy to come to a conclusion by doing tons of research, reading reviews, and talking to folks.

I did that and ended up with a test ride almost as a formality. 10 minutes in the saddle convinced me that my first choice (an 2003 s-works with the then new Brain) wasn't for me and that (after test riding) that blur was.

The trick is Norco dealers aren't particularly common, and even if you find one they might not have a selection of over $5k bikes for you to test/compare.

So I'd invest some time finding a good dealer and/or rental place to actually ride the bike you want to buy. NEVER buy without riding.

mtbr member
    I actually own a Norco Sight Killer B and love it. I'm not sure why people think it can't climb, because I've never had a problem with it. I know the Range did get a few reviews talking about the pedal bob, but the Sight does not have that problem. Remember that Norco modified the FSR to get rid of some of the issues that it had. The one problem that Norco has, as mentioned, is that their dealer network is fairly small. Also, I'm not digging the 2014 specs as much as what was available in 2013. Anyway, I know that Santa Cruz makes a great bike also. You really can't go wrong with either one.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    You really can't go wrong with either one.
    ^^This

It's a golden age -- there are so many good 275 options (and 26 and 29) right now. I'm a Bronson owner and love it coming from an aging gen 1 Nomad (I might have helped to convert G MAN, too!). It's a poppy, playful bike that climbs well and is still plenty stable and confidence-inspiring for the kind of tech-gnar descents we have here in the northwest.

That being said, one of the reasons I even considered a 650b rig was riding with a dude who had a brand new range killer b back in march. It was at one of my favorite spots up in Bellingham with classic PNW steep, loamy, rooty, tight, super-fast lines -- exactly the reason I was dead set against anything but 26. He shredded the f*k out of it (and so did his buddy on the intense 275 carbine). Sure, he's a pinner so the bike was not the only factor, but it made a believer in 275 outta me.

Norco might slightly edge out SC in terms of price; but the big issue is availability. While there are Norco dealers around here (Fanatik up in B-ham, for example), it's way easier to find an SC shop. And if you are buying a full bike, you could probably work a good cash deal with an LBS. (But I'm not interested in jumping into an LBS vs. online debate!)

Of course, it mostly boils down to personal preference so riding both would be the real test...

Welcome to western WA!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just to make your decision a little harder, look at the new Devinci Troy as well, 140mm of travel and it just won the air DH in Whistler under Steve Smith.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    (I helped to convert G MAN, too!).
    Fixed it for you! Hope to ride with you again soon!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curbhuck View Post
    Just to make your decision a little harder, look at the new Devinci Troy as well, 140mm of travel and it just won the air DH in Whistler under Steve Smith.
    I saw that and love the looks. Geometry looks great on paper too but I was hoping for more travel. There's been some spy shots of a longer travel "park" version floating around that may replace the Dixon? I really want to ride one but doubtful to find one to demo. Have read mixed reviews as to how split pivots climb so I'd like to see more info. Anyone have a ride report?

Cheers,

G

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Don't worry about the climbs on the Norco, I rode one at a demo day and was blown away by how well it climbed much much better than my 29er especially very steep tech climbs. It climbed so well that I was testing the bike by climbing as slow as possible to see when it may stall or fall back on me never did once.
    Going down hill was a treat as well.
    The only time the 29er would pass it would be on flat trails.
    Missed my opportunity to buy one last year sold out but I won't miss out this year.
    For what you want to spend you would be into carbon bike.
    Try both then decide but remember don't be like me and wait too long as they might be all gone.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Personally I think a Bronson should be more compared to the Range than the Sight. I know for 14 there is a carbon Sight coming but not sure if there is going to be a carbon Range. It would seem logical though. My gut tells me the carbon Sight should be a lightweight trail ripper that with Norco's FSR suspension should climb like a goat. Might not descend like a Bronson but it might be more than capable for the Jersey boy transplant.

New Devinci Troy carbon = new Trek Remedy cabon. Both have split pivot except the Trek also has the full floater and the DRCV shock. Trek also has a 2 position adjustable BB/HA setting and both bikes have 140mm travel. Devinci will be hard to find and get a test ride on but the Treks should be available soon at plenty of shops. Definitely worth considering in my book.

And for good measure you should really add the Intense Carbine 275 carbon to your list of possibilities IMO.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    skidad, Carbon Range is on Norco's website.
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

Trail Ninja

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    skidad, Carbon Range is on Norco's website.

Thanks!

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

Thanks!
    Skidad,

Your MTBR Private Message Inbox is full.
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Skidad,

Your MTBR Private Message Inbox is full.
    All set, thanks