mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Should I bring it back to life?

When I was around 10 or 12 my parents got me a Schwinn Mirada with one of those oval cranks and 650B wheels. I don't have much of the bike left, but I do have the frame. I can't believe my parents haven't thrown it out yet? I was considering building it up as a single speed, but I already have an 81 peugeot that I use as a single speed commuter and around town bike. I was wondering what anybody else would do? right now its hanging up in my garage for me too look at, but I feel I should do something with it. The frame is in good shaped down to the paint. Is this the kind of bike someone else would like to use as a project? I have half a mind to take it down to the LBS and see if anybody wants to build it up, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to part with it yet.

Just kinda wondering what you guys would do with it... Keep it and look at it, build it up for fun, or pass it on to someone who would enjoy it more?

Right now I'm selling off some stuff to thin the fleet so if I do build it up it will probably be a while.
    I Ride Bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Groffball
    When I was around 10 or 12 my parents got me a Schwinn Mirada with one of those oval cranks and 650B wheels. I don't have much of the bike left, but I do have the frame. I can't believe my parents haven't thrown it out yet? I was considering building it up as a single speed, but I already have an 81 peugeot that I use as a single speed commuter and around town bike. I was wondering what anybody else would do? right now its hanging up in my garage for me too look at, but I feel I should do something with it. The frame is in good shaped down to the paint. Is this the kind of bike someone else would like to use as a project? I have half a mind to take it down to the LBS and see if anybody wants to build it up, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to part with it yet.

Just kinda wondering what you guys would do with it... Keep it and look at it, build it up for fun, or pass it on to someone who would enjoy it more?

Right now I'm selling off some stuff to thin the fleet so if I do build it up it will probably be a while.
    yes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Does it have horizontal dropouts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Does it have horizontal dropouts?

it has the semi horizontal drop outs so it can easily be made a single speed and would be if I put it back together.
    I Ride Bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Heck yeah then! Build that thing up for some off road use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Is it a Shimano Biopace chain ring?! I used to ride a Schwinn with Biopace.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Tiger
    Is it a Shimano Biopace chain ring?! I used to ride a Schwinn with Biopace.
    The crank that was on it was a biopace, but its long gone the only thing left is the frame.
    I Ride Bikes.