USB Rep'n

Shorter stem with setback post?? Tire size question too....

Just curious if this seems logical to anyone but me... got my first trail ride in last night on my Ala Carte and with a straight post and 100mm stem, its spot on. Got me thinking though... If I wanted an even more responsive feel up front, could I add a setback post and then compensate for the setback with a shorter stem? Seems logical to me but wonder if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

On the tire thing...I'm running Flow EX hoops with a Hans Dampf 2.35 up front and Nobby Nic 2.25 in back. The HD has a huge footprint which might be good or bad, I need to ride it more to find out. Thing is the Nic needs replaced due to a sidewall cut and there's a seller here making a nice deal on some Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4's. How do those size relative to the Schwalbes for anyone that's used or seen both?

On a side note, I couldn't be happier with the Ala Carte setup for 650b. Exactly what I was hoping for. Frame size feels just like a 26 (duh!) and its every bit as responsive but does seem to offer some of the 29 benefits in terms of rolling. With the steel frame and tubeless tires at 25psi, I don't miss the FS one bit. Fit is awesome too. Yeah, stoked to say the least!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Shorten the stem if you want to adjust reach, use setback in the seatpost to adjust your weight over the crankset.

USB Rep'n
    agreed on what you said but fit is not the issue. shorter stems will provide "twitchier" more responsive steering. not as good for climbing but a little better for technical stuff sometimes. that's where I was going with it. you're right about what you mentioned but I think I may not have been clear in what I was asking (or why).

eh-nay Ityopia!

NedwannaB
    Yeah stem one thing, but moving seat back may have effect/affect on getting off your knee over pedal/rotation position. I would think that would/could be more of a problem for you. You'll have to try it out. I can get away with straight/setback posts on my bikes only where the frames vary enuf in tt dimensions to keep position.

I can cheat a little on my SS with a setback as I am off the seat more plus it gives me a little wiggle room while standing and hammering.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

USB Rep'n
    Jmac, thanks, that does make sense. Since this is a SS, maybe it would work but that's a great point about seated position so thanks.

eh-nay Ityopia!

Kiwi that Flew

Shorter stem with setback post?? Tire size question too....

Take an inch off your stem length and add two inches to your bar length. This will make your bike come alive and corner like its on rails because of the extra leverage you get on the bar and front end. Can't really explain it but I really does make a good bike amazing.
    My 2xNZcents worth
    deano