mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Seven 650B Build

Loving my 650B bike I decided to convert my Seven Sola. I purchased some cheap light carbon wheels. whacked them on. Kenda on the front and Racing Ralph on the back. Back and front have a few mm clearance - phew! Rides great and comes in at 10.8kg that's with an old heavyish group set. Front end is quite high - maybe a longer, lower stem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seven 650B Build-img_0113.jpg  

NedwannaB
    Slam the stem for starters(should get 26" bar height back). Then play around move the seat forward 3-5mm.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice looking ride. Let us know how the rims work out for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    those the ebay carbon wheels?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    what fork?

NedwannaB
    Yeah, inquiring mind(s).....

Dude, got any schwag?
    Slam the stem, get a flat bar. And for the love of Mike, level that saddle please! ;o)

That's a DT Swiss, not sure which model.

Zarf; why the chainstay wrap on the left side?

Beautiful bike BTW.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

NedwannaB

Rider preferrence.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    Slam the stem, get a flat bar. And for the love of Mike, level that saddle please! ;o)

That's a DT Swiss, not sure which model.

Zarf; why the chainstay wrap on the left side?

Beautiful bike BTW.
    Slamming stem will take care of the hieght. No need to radically change his setup with flatbar, it's not a 29r afterall.

And I'd imagine the non-drive chainstay wrap is there to protect the beautiful Ti from heel scuffs. By the looks of the seat angle you mentioned, maybe needs some cleat adjustment too!

Ti Seven ht frame with 650's and a DT fork nice bike for sure!

mtbr member
    Whenever I see these uber expensive bikes with a saddle tilted like that... yeesh.

NedwannaB
    Haters gonna hate....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Wasn't so expensive the bike as I got it second hand from e-bay in what was probably the best deal ever. Fork is DT Swiss EXM 150. Like the handlebars as they are. The saddle certainly was wonky. I haven't been able to ride much of late (2 young kids and busy job). I do like the saddle slightly downwards but that is way too much. I have slotted it back now and made level. Feels way better. Can't wait to hit the trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Your right the wrap is to protect the sweet ti. Probably over the top but want to keep the frame decent at least till I have finished the set up.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by zarf1 View Post
    Fork is DT Swiss EXM 150.
    I thought it looked choppered out. How's the handling?
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Handling feels great - yes a little chopperish! I haven't managed to get out on the dirt with the 650 wheels yet but spinning round the back yard feels ace. When I purchased this bike second hand it came rigid with a nuke proof carbon fork. It was very light. The fork had enough clearance for a 29er up front. Whilst there was no bounce up front the handling was great as it was so easy to lift the front wheel. I did a 100km race and had my fastest time for this format on it. However, afterwards I had some serious back pain. You ave to work much harder on the rigid. Hence I got the DT fork. I decided to go 650 as 26er wheels just don't feel right to me since riding my 650B.Can't wait to get out on it. Won't be till next weekend as I have no time for a ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Love the bike and great to see it fits 650B.
    However i cannot understand how you can be so cautious to wrap the non-drive side to protect the frame and than put a 150mm fork in it. I am assuming it is designed for 100mm. I would think it not only messes up the handling but could also damage the frame. I am not saying it will but i personally wouldnt take the risk on such a great frame.
    I would lower the front end with a fork with less travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This seven was designed for long travel at least 140 mm (so Seven advised me). It rides great with the Dt swiss fork and 26 inch wheels. May be the bigger wheels would be better for lower travel fork (what's a few mm though). As far as protecting the frame - I'm less keen on this when I am riding. It's a mountain bike after all. Just didn't want to drop it in the garage or bash it in some stupid manner while I muck around in the back yard. A friend of a friend wrecked a carbon frame by just dropping it at home (it landed on a sharp rock). Not sure the carbon wheels were right for this long travel chopper but we will see....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The bigger wheels shouldnt matter much, since you have 650B front and rear it doesnt affect the head tube angle. So you will only notice the 10mm extra fork travel. Not something to worry about and if it rides great it rides great

On the photo its not very clear but isnt there a grey spacer under your stem which you can remove?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Smile

All done - rides ace. Very happy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seven 650B Build-img_0124.jpg  

artistic...
    You want off road drop bars.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nah! I might go a Niner Flat Bar but no drop bars for me - there for roadies. speaking of which when will mtbr get rid of the FRS Lance promotions? It was bad enough before the EPO allegations (evertone knew he was doping before all this happened surely!).

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by zarf1 View Post
    Nah! I might go a Niner Flat Bar but no drop bars for me - there for roadies. speaking of which when will mtbr get rid of the FRS Lance promotions? It was bad enough before the EPO allegations (evertone knew he was doping before all this happened surely!).
    hmmm? maybe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull