mtbr member

Seems like Giant is missing some important price points with their 27.5 offer

They are either really high or low IMO...

Hardtail
    XTC - $1700
    XTC advanced - $7200

Neither works well for a budget of $2k, which seems common for HT.

FS
    Anthem - $2250
    Anthem advanced - $8250

Again, same problem for a $3k budget. Why no in between ground?

I would like to see a full SLX offer, REBA front shock, and 2X10 drive trains on both models for somewhere around 2100 and 2700 respectively.

Chad

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There's more models available. For example on the Anthem Advanced ($8250), 3 other options are listed under the "Overview" - Anthem Advanced 1 ($4750), Anthem Advanced 2 ($3500), and frame only ($2650).

These additional bikes are not incredibly obvious on the web pages.

mtbr member
    Thanks for pointing that out - I missed them. Makes more sense now. It looks like they go down on their advanced lines, but no higher on their aluminum lines. I think there would be room for a better alum build for both the anthem and the XTC.

mtbr member
    Those product managers are pretty analytical. I'm guessing that there isn't much sales history with Giant at those price points. That's usually the reason you see bikes priced that way. There has been quite a lot of SKU proliferation with 26 and 29 over the years and Giant is the company that is mostly transparently cutting back on SKU production by going all 275.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Interestingly enough, there is a XT/SLX version of the Al frame, as well as a X.7 on the Australia site.

mtbr member
    Trance 3= $2125
    Trance 1+ $3500

No Trance 2 in the USA
    San Diego needs singletrack

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Worse is probably the SX, which you can't get cheaper than $3900.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Trance 3= $2125
    Trance 1+ $3500

No Trance 2 in the USA
    We do get the 2 in Canada though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    And we get the aluminum Anthem 27.5 - 1 in Canada.

Anthem 27.5 1 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

$2999 Canuck dollars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    And we get the aluminum Anthem 27.5 - 1 in Canada.

Anthem 27.5 1 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

$2999 Canuck dollars.
    You darn Canucks
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You can always build your own frame...
    and the posted prices are "suggested" retail. Bet you'll do much better than that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubae View Post
    You can always build your own frame...
    and the posted prices are "suggested" retail. Bet you'll do much better than that.
    Two things on that note. If YOU build it Giant will not warranty the frame. XTC AL does not appear available as a Frameset in 27.5 or 29 although Anthem AL 27.5 is . I wonder if having the LBS assemble the BB and HS qualifies for a "Giant" build for warranty purposes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I realize this is an older thread, but I still can't for the life of me understand why in the world they don't have the Trance 2 available in the US.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Worse yet is that they are giving up a potentially good competition with Norco for offering the cheapest carbon bike in America. Giant COULD bring the Trance Advanced for $3193 USD ($3499 CAD) and they'd have a buyer in me.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Two things on that note. If YOU build it Giant will not warranty the frame. XTC AL does not appear available as a Frameset in 27.5 or 29 although Anthem AL 27.5 is . I wonder if having the LBS assemble the BB and HS qualifies for a "Giant" build for warranty purposes.
    If that's true then the Trance frameset I was thinking of ordering is going to quickly become the Turner Flux I've also been looking at...gonna have to swing by the LBS and ask.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by neb001 View Post
    If that's true then the Trance frameset I was thinking of ordering is going to quickly become the Turner Flux I've also been looking at...gonna have to swing by the LBS and ask.

2. What is the warranty on my Giant bicycle?
    Giant Bicycle, Inc. ("Giant") warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant brand bicycle and Giant brand frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle. Paint finish and all other original components, and all Giant brand repair parts, replacement parts, and accessories, are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of one year from the original date of purchase. This warranty applies only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Retailer.
    FAQs - Giant Bicycles | United States

My guess the shop would quickly sign off on your build if you asked and they inspected before you broke it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    I call BS. Where does Giant say they won't warrant the frame if a non-LBS builds it?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    I call BS. Where does Giant say they won't warrant the frame if a non-LBS builds it?
    This sentence seems to be the issue: "This warranty applies only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Retailer."

It's a poorly written sentence. I would interpret "and assembled by" to apply only to bicycles and not framesets. But ultimately it's how Giant chooses to interpret this.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    This sentence seems to be the issue: "This warranty applies only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Retailer."

It's a poorly written sentence. I would interpret "and assembled by" to apply only to bicycles and not framesets. But ultimately it's how Giant chooses to interpret this.

Exactly, and I could see it going either way. Nonetheless if I was buying a Giant frame , and I might be, I would get clarification, especially after seeing the thread on broken Anthems.

mtbr member
    If you have a good dealer, no worries. But I have seen some rejected claims because the frame was not built by the MFG dealer. Giant is not alone in this. Trek, Spec, also have this in their warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: Seems like Giant is missing some important price points with their 27.5 offer

Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    I realize this is an older thread, but I still can't for the life of me understand why in the world they don't have the Trance 2 available in the US.
    I here you the trance 1 is not my favorite colors. I can buy a carbon troy with a pike and looks better. Or a carbon norco or a Santa Cruz 5010

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Giant has not gone all 27.5, there are still some 29ers as well as a couple of 26ers. Next year they should have more 27.5 bikes to fit into more price lines.
    I was never a big Giant fan, but I now stand behind them with their bold move to eliminate 29ers to be replaced with 27.5ers, I'm glad that someone else realizes the value of 27.5ers for XC and not just for all mountain...where the rest of the industry has gone with 27.5.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    I here you the trance 1 is not my favorite colors. I can buy a carbon troy with a pike and looks better. Or a carbon norco or a Santa Cruz 5010

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    Same here, not a fan of the Trance 1 colors, and much prefer the 2, but, for the price the 1 has a very nice spec. In Canada the Trance 1 and 2 are priced better than comparable Site or Troy, but like some here, it's a matter of matching the right spec model with a few choice upgrades to get the bike you want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If I had a dime everytime a customer said they would by something if it were only X, or if only we had it on the floor and then not followed through when we got that very thing, I'd have more bikes. It seems to me the reason you can't get a 2 in the US has everything to do with sales data, and if you are a 2 customer then you are simply an outlier. I'm confident if everyone had the same data the production manager had you'd all would have come up with the same thing.

As far as only one alum XTC, we have only sold 3 XTCs in the last 2 years, and only one was alum. And it only sold because we had it discounted because it had been around too long. As more and more people turn to more gravity orientated riding it seems like local XC racing is getting smaller and smaller and I just don't see the market. I see someone getting into mtbing with a Talon and racing it, and then upgrading to FS or carbon ht. I don't see them conceding to an alum HT race rig unless their budget forces them.