Thread: SE Stout 650b

mtbr member
    May 2008

SE Stout 650b

Here is my 2008 SE Stout with 650b wheels. The BB is a little lower than it should be so I do peg my pedals a bit. I started using this bike as a reference point to understand the wheel size and then develop a frame around them.

I'm a beginner MTB rider, but not new to riding. I kept it set up simple as a SS and kept the rigid fork to really feel out the impacts and manuverability of the wheels. I have ridden the first prototype frame and it was even raced to a 5th place in pro in Sept. We are now working on more sizes. The bike won't be an SE but it will be fast, functional and raced in the 2009 season.

Let me know what you guys look for in a 650b bike. I appreciate any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm waiting for a 650b hardtail xc racing frame. Geared but sliding dropouts ok. 80mm-100mm fork. Steel or aluminum.

mtbr member
    wow that bottom bracket is wicked low on that converted Stout 29er.

Will it be Fuji for the race bike Brett?

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was told I can't post pictures but I can tell you that the XC hardtail in aluminum is the direction we are going.

Yeah, my bb is really low. The frame is a 15" (I'm a BMX guy so I like a smaller frame) and the picture is kind of stretched. I just wanted you guys to know that we are taking this size seriously and have a kick ass design. The racers who ride 29'ers and 26'ers all said they would switch to the 650b bike. That is all the endorsement I needed.

mtbr member
    Build a 650b steel stout and the riders will come. That doesn't exclude going for a lightweight AL race 650b bike though!

I just think you'd sell a fair amount of Stout 650bs if priced like your 29er

Best,

Mark

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That was my plan. Jill @ Haro beat me to it! I talked to her about it and I'm glad she did it. I got to ride one recently and was stoked to be on a SS that was designed for the wheel size.

mtbr member

Room for 2?

Don't you think there would/could be room for two?

I think that the Beasley touches on a slightly higher price point than say a derivation of your Stout 29er in 650b guise would cost a propesctive customer.

You'd be first to the punch with a $500/$550 650b stock hardtail.

Quote Originally Posted by pwh4130
    That was my plan. Jill @ Haro beat me to it! I talked to her about it and I'm glad she did it. I got to ride one recently and was stoked to be on a SS that was designed for the wheel size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is this going to be sold as a frame or a complete bike?
    I'm interested in a 650b hardtail frame and while the Haro is interesting, I'd be left with a lot of parts that I don't need and not easy to sell.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    No plans are definite yet. I would imagine a complete bike would sell better due to the less typical wheel size. Right now our next step is to get different sizes made and test them for proper geometry. The design is perfect already.