mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Scott Genius 740 or Giant Trance 27.5 1

I have deceided that I would like to try the new 650b wheel size.

My budget is about 4000 US dollars.

I live in Denmark but travel across europe to ride so the terrain these bikes would be subjected to are quite varried.

Anybody who have ridden on the Scott Genius 740 or Giant Trance 27.51
    , I would very much like to hear your opinoins on the bikes.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarnet85 View Post
    I have deceided that I would like to try the new 650b wheel size.

My budget is about 4000 US dollars.

I live in Denmark but travel across europe to ride so the terrain these bikes would be subjected to are quite varried.

Anybody who have ridden on the Scott Genius 740 or Giant Trance 27.51
    , I would very much like to hear your opinoins on the bikes.

Cheers
    I haven't ridden the Scott but I have the Trance 27.5 1 and it's an amazing bike, really quick and wills you to go faster!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Giant,

Better suspension and more efficient pedaling bike. Haven't ridden either but from tons of reading and suspension graph evaluation that's my opinion.

Do some digging and it's all here on this link.

Google Translate
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I had a look at the Scott but there was nothing about it that appealed to me. It was also more expensive than the Trance SX so I didn't even test ride it.

Where I am Giant seem to have better support and pricing which is what pulled me towards them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Same here - in Canada, the Trance 1 is a better value (only $3000cdn so that leaves some money for upgrades, like the SLX brakes), but if the pricing and/or support of the Scott is better in Denmark, that might be the better choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I testrode a size M Genius 730 shortly after my size L Trance 27.5 3 testride, but only for a few minutes and only in and arround a parking lot. Now that should raise a lot of aggression from "real" Genius owners

One thing I instantly noticed was some annoying bobbing in the rear end when pedaling hard although the shock was already pumped up pretty stiff (I had a shockpump with me for fine tuning). The Trance 27.5 I rode before was much better (neutral) in that regard (and it's rather simple shock only provided external rebound adj. by the way)

Yes you can change low speed compression of fork and shock with Scott's handy twinlock lever, however, I tried all 3 available settings and only the stiffest (a kinda lockout) was acceptable. In terms of geometry and handling I would prefer the Genius (felt far more "flickable" ) but that's a bit unfair to compare given the different frame sizes (medium vs. large)

I would personally never buy a full suspension bike with an inferior suspension design that must be adjusted or locked out everytime the terrain changes to optimize performance (although using that TwinLock lever felt as quick and easy as using a shifter, now that's really well done by Scott )