Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    262

    Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf Compatability

    Trying to find out who has tried the new Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf 2.35s in the FOX 26" Forks? Also has anyone tried either of these tires in the Santa Cruz Nickel? All my components are here except for tires and I have been waiting, however I hate to settle for the Pacenti Neo-Motos or Kenda Nevegals if the Schwalbes will work... I have been riding Schwalbes on my 29ers for a little over a year now and have not found a better tire. Tire life kind of sucks, but the grip and great rolling is worth it. Enlighten me if anyone has done some comparisons of all the different 650b tires. Thanks in advance for any advice

  2. #2
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,499
    Both NN and HD will be available in the 2.25 size, too. I am quite sure that neither of the two forks I have (Velver, Lyrik) will work with the new 2.35 Schwalbe tires but I am hoping for the 2.25s to clear. I am also looking forward to trying the new Kenda Honey Badger 2.25, too.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    216
    I have been riding a Fox TALAS 26 with a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 for 3 years with no issues but the new Schwalbe tires are much higher according to the measurements posted around here, so I am pretty sure they would not fit a 26" fork.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157
    I should have some NN arriving any day now and will snap some pics on the Fox and my WB Loop.

    It might clear in the arch on the Fox 26 but no way at bottom out. It will easily hit the bottom of the crown and need a shim. My 2.3" Neo Moto just barely grazes the bottom of my 140 Talas and the NN is much taller. When I measure my Neo Moto I get 27.5" almost exactly (698.5mm) I've read the NN is 712mm in diameter. I sure hope so.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  5. #5
    LyN
    LyN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    35
    The 2.35 Hans Dampf is about 704mm, 60mm wide. Here I have pictures of the same fork with a 2.35 Nevegal and a 2.35 Hans Dampf. Sizes do not seem so different, but behaviour is night and day. The Hans Dampf really works as an All Mountain front tire.

    Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf Compatability-uploadfromtaptalk1352327163918.jpg

    Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf Compatability-uploadfromtaptalk1352327133905.jpg

    Sorry for the pictures being on their side. My smartfonr sometimes is not really so smart.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Both NN and HD will be available in the 2.25 size, too. I am quite sure that neither of the two forks I have (Velver, Lyrik) will work with the new 2.35 Schwalbe tires but I am hoping for the 2.25s to clear.
    I'm interested in finding out whether the new 2.25's clear a Lyrik. I'd actually been hoping 2.35 HD would clear. Oh well.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    798
    I tried a 2.35 NN in my 32 Fox Float and it clears the back of the crown (closest part of the crown) by 7mm.

    It cleared a medium TRc rear end by a similar distance, definately a dry weather tire.

    Also it was a heavy sucker at 710g especially after running a 510g 2.25 RaRa for the last 18mths up front.

    Needless to say it's not staying on the bike!

    I'm looking forward to a 600g or there abouts 2.25 NN, anyone seen one yet?

  8. #8
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    I'm looking forward to a 600g or there abouts 2.25 NN, anyone seen one yet?
    IIRC both 2.25 NN and HD have ETA in January.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by LyN View Post
    The 2.35 Hans Dampf is about 704mm, 60mm wide. Here I have pictures of the same fork with a 2.35 Nevegal and a 2.35 Hans Dampf. Sizes do not seem so different, but behaviour is night and day. The Hans Dampf really works as an All Mountain front tire.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352327163918.jpg 
Views:	1480 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	736023

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352327133905.jpg 
Views:	1326 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	736022

    Sorry for the pictures being on their side. My smartfonr sometimes is not really so smart.

    Is that on a DT Swiss EXC 150? I am running the same fork and was hoping the Hans D 2.35 would clear.

    How is the crown at bottom out?

  10. #10
    LyN
    LyN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarshack View Post
    Is that on a DT Swiss EXC 150? I am running the same fork and was hoping the Hans D 2.35 would clear.

    How is the crown at bottom out?
    Yes, it's a EXC 150. And yes, it clears at bottom out.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Both NN and HD will be available in the 2.25 size, too. I am quite sure that neither of the two forks I have (Velver, Lyrik) will work with the new 2.35 Schwalbe tires
    I'm confused about this. The numbers I'm seeing (here and here) indicate that the Lyrik (I have 2012 RC2 DH, I don't know if they're all the same) has as much or more axle-to-crown clearance than the 2013 RS Revelation 150 650b and 2013 XFusion Slant 650b forks. (545 vs 539 vs 545). And I would have assumed both of those forks would clear the 2.35 HD and NN.

    So, could you clarify why you're sure your Lyrik won't clear them?

  12. #12
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    I'm confused about this. The numbers I'm seeing (here and here) indicate that the Lyrik (I have 2012 RC2 DH, I don't know if they're all the same) has as much or more axle-to-crown clearance than the 2013 RS Revelation 150 650b and 2013 XFusion Slant 650b forks. (545 vs 539 vs 545). And I would have assumed both of those forks would clear the 2.35 HD and NN.

    So, could you clarify why you're sure your Lyrik won't clear them?
    There is not enough room under the arch.
    This is NeoMoto 2.3 / Lyrik U-Turn (the legs should be the same). The HD 2.35 is over 12mm taller than NeoMoto 2.3 IIRC. It simply will not fit IMHO.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    622
    Thanks very much for the reply. I'm still puzzled, but you're obviously right that a 2.35 isn't fitting there.

  14. #14
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,499
    No problem. I was equally disappointed when the fork arrived.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157
    Get out the grinder boys

    Seriously, the guy above felt the new HD was not really bigger than the Nev. 2.35" so you just never know.

    StiHacka, If my stupid 2.35" NN ever show up we could try a test fit in your forks. I think the NN and HD are supposed to be a similar size. Sorry but I was hoping for really tall and will be disappointed if they're the same size as the 2.35" Nev.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  16. #16
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    StiHacka, If my stupid 2.35" NN ever show up we could try a test fit in your forks. I think the NN and HD are supposed to be a similar size. Sorry but I was hoping for really tall and will be disappointed if they're the same size as the 2.35" Nev.
    Give me a shout when the tires arrive and I will bring the bike to the office.

  17. #17
    LyN
    LyN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Sorry but I was hoping for really tall and will be disappointed if they're the same size as the 2.35" Nev.
    They'renot the same size. It's just tat the HD does not seem like a monster when compared to the Nevegal. But as I told, behaviour is a completely different story. hD is waaaaaay more grippy in all conditions.

  18. #18
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67 View Post
    Trying to find out who has tried the new Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf 2.35s in the FOX 26" Forks? Also has anyone tried either of these tires in the Santa Cruz Nickel? All my components are here except for tires and I have been waiting, however I hate to settle for the Pacenti Neo-Motos or Kenda Nevegals if the Schwalbes will work... I have been riding Schwalbes on my 29ers for a little over a year now and have not found a better tire. Tire life kind of sucks, but the grip and great rolling is worth it. Enlighten me if anyone has done some comparisons of all the different 650b tires. Thanks in advance for any advice
    The 650B NN 2.35 fit fine on the 26" Fox 36 TALAS/FLOAT/VAN

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    The 650B NN 2.35 fit fine on the 26" Fox 36 TALAS/FLOAT/VAN
    Did you check clearance at bottom out?

    Pics would be great if possible
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  20. #20
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Did you check clearance at bottom out?

    Pics would be great if possible
    Yes, I did, and it's fine. The bottom of the crown and arch are in the same spot when I let all the air out, and bottomed the fork. It was tough to get a picture, but I have attached one. I will try and get another one and measure the exact spacing when I have a chance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf Compatability-fork_tire_clearance.jpg  


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157

    First ride new Knobby Nick's

    Ok, first ride out on the new NN 2.35" tires after waiting 21 days from Germany

    If your looking for tall (and I was) you got it. My eye and tape measure I'm seeing 28" or dam close to it. That's a full 1/2" taller than my Neo Moto 2.3"

    Width, well I was surprised it actually measured about the same as my 2.3" Neo Moto which is actually fractionally less than a real 2.3". So it's not really a 2.35" tire at all. Maybe that will be good news to some, disappointing for others and for me no real big deal. Knobs don't quite wrap around as far as the Neo either.

    Rolling feels really good considering all the trails here are covered in leaves and somewhat damp and slick. They also climb and stick to rocks really well which made me very happy

    I barely had time to get em mounted up and out the door to the ride after having an issue with my dropper post I needed to fix (all good now). I put 27psi both F/B and pinch flatted the back after about 30 min. I was bummed as I've yet to pinch flat my Neo Moto's at that pressure. Put in a new tube and inflated it to 30psi and no further issues on the ride and it's nothing but rocks here. I imagine tubless these would be even better as I could drop the pressure and traction would go up even more.

    So I'm really pleased with the tires after my first 2 hour night ride and so happy with that extra height. Pretty much what I had hoped for. I'm also thinking the new HD on the front and NN on the back might be a killer combo to try at some point.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  22. #22
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Ok, first ride out on the new NN 2.35" tires after waiting 21 days from Germany

    If your looking for tall (and I was) you got it. My eye and tape measure I'm seeing 28" or dam close to it. That's a full 1/2" taller than my Neo Moto 2.3"

    Width, well I was surprised it actually measured about the same as my 2.3" Neo Moto which is actually fractionally less than a real 2.3". So it's not really a 2.35" tire at all. Maybe that will be good news to some, disappointing for others and for me no real big deal. Knobs don't quite wrap around as far as the Neo either.

    Rolling feels really good considering all the trails here are covered in leaves and somewhat damp and slick. They also climb and stick to rocks really well which made me very happy

    I barely had time to get em mounted up and out the door to the ride after having an issue with my dropper post I needed to fix (all good now). I put 27psi both F/B and pinch flatted the back after about 30 min. I was bummed as I've yet to pinch flat my Neo Moto's at that pressure. Put in a new tube and inflated it to 30psi and no further issues on the ride and it's nothing but rocks here. I imagine tubless these would be even better as I could drop the pressure and traction would go up even more.

    So I'm really pleased with the tires after my first 2 hour night ride and so happy with that extra height. Pretty much what I had hoped for. I'm also thinking the new HD on the front and NN on the back might be a killer combo to try at some point.
    The NN really come to life by running them tubeless at low PSI (18-22 depending on your weight).

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    216
    Skidad,
    What rims did you mount the NN on?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    Skidad,
    What rims did you mount the NN on?
    Stans Flows

    pastajet...I'd be a bit apprehensive trying pressure that low for New England conditions. Maybe it would work but not sure I want to risk it.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  25. #25
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Stans Flows

    pastajet...I'd be a bit apprehensive trying pressure that low for New England conditions. Maybe it would work but not sure I want to risk it.
    I used these rims with the NN - Stans Flow EX and ENVE AM primarily, and Pacenti DL 31 (only once)

    I regularly ride ugly rock gardens and rough rocky terrain in Colorado and never had any issues. Never ridden back East, so I can't comment on riding there?

    I don't take pictures of my local trails, but here is a glimpse of one uglier rocky section.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf Compatability-localterrain.jpg  


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •