mtbr member

SC TRc 650b VS Tallboy

I have posted this in 29er forum as well

I have had the TB for almost 2 years. This was my only bike until last December when I built the TRc 650b.
    I have ridden almost exclusively the TRc 650b since, so it was a shock to hop on the TB again yesterday.
    I should also mention that I am 5’9” 145lbs geared and ride mediums.
    First my setups:

Medium 2011 TB QR 25lbs
    -Cockpit feels perfect (710mm Easton haven carbon bars with 80mm Easton EC90 stem)
    -Digging the 1x10 (XO cranks, 30T or 28T bling ring, Sram XX cassette)
    -Custom tuned RP23 by PUSH – made a huge difference in a good way
    -Custom tuned and converted Talas to Float by ISOTUNED at 120mm
    -Easton Carbon Haven rims (no problems with the rear hub whatsoever), the hubs were recently serviced and are very smooth and quiet
    -KS LEV 125mm dropper
    -Schwalbe 2.4 RR front, 2.25 RR rear

Medium 2012 TRc 650b QR 25lbs
    -Cockpit feels nice, still being dialed (710mm Easton haven carbon bars with 60mm stem)
    -1x10 (XO cranks, 30T bling ring, XTR cassette)
    -Shimmed RP23 and 32 Float at 140mm – NON PUSH or TUNED
    -ENVE AM 650b wheels
    -KS LEV 150mm
    -Schwalbe 2.35 NN front, RR rear

The TB is nicely dialed, the custom tune was well worth it. I am hesitating a bit to do the same with the TRc since I might to get a Solo in near future and sell the TRc…
    OK, here are my ride findings.
    I have ridden El Moro trails in Laguna – flat fire roads, steep uphill climbs, some twisty and tight single track, regular DH trails (rattlesnake, some trails I don’t know their names, since they are not on the map …

Downhill
    TB was a bit unsecure, HA felt too steep (I did not find it so before I got the TRc…) For me, TRc is the clear winner here. It is easier and faster to change direction. It is also more fun, much easier to hop and get some air.

Uphill
    Again, I felt better on the TRc and that is weird. Its HA angle is about 3 degrees slacker and the stem 20mm shorter but I never felt the front wheel popping more. I also felt less fatigue on steep fire road climbs. Smaller wheels are easier to navigate through tight swichbacks. Technical uphill was better on TRc as well – less effort to spin over rocks. I ran 28T front on the TB, so it should have been a bit easier then the 30T on 650b TRc…
    I have to say, TRc is the winner here too.

Flats
    Here I could feel the benefit of a bigger wheel, especially on wide fire roads. They just keep the momentum better.
    Winner – TB

All around winner – 650b TRC

Here are the variables which might contribute to the certain point:
    -Different front tires
    -Bottom bracket is smoother on the TB for some reason, the cranks spin easier (might be the recent re-lubing or the Chris King hub drags more than the Easton…)
    -I did wonders with the shifting on the TB, it’s perfect , I need to play with the TRc a bit more
    -Dialed suspension on the TB
    -The fact I was not riding the TB for some time and need to adjust again???

I am not sure what to do at this point. The major drawback of the TB is its limited DH capability and playfulness compared to the TRc.
    I am considering selling the TB, but it’s just so nicely dialed for me and I have invested some big $ in it…
    But I am craving a SC Solo now 
    Last edited by jazzanova; 06-14-2013 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Try the Tallboy LTc... Just awesome...

mtbr member

Re: SC Tallboy TRc 650b VS Tallboy

I have. I is a nice bike and I did not feel I would give up anything in pedaling department compared to the TB, while gaining a lot on DH...
    But it just felt too big. The front end seemed to be pretty high. It is a great bike, but not for me...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't know how much time you spend on it but setup is everything!

One thing I noticed with a 29er vs my old Nomad is, bad habits really stands out going from smaller to bigger wheels.

I am 5'5", ride a medium Tallboy LTc with 35mm stem and 750mm bars.

Faster in every way than my Nomad... The clock never lies!

I rode some of those trails in Laguna Beach on my spring visits... very nice! I met some very nice people too. Liked that trail that goes from Crystal Cove back to the road/highway before you get to LB. Great rock garden!!!

A few tweaks made a huge difference for me.

Best of luck!

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I am not sure what to do at this point. The major drawback of the TB is its limited DH capability and playfulness compared to the TRc.
    I am considering selling the TB, but it’s just so nicely dialed for me and I have invested some big $ in it…
    But I am craving a SC Solo now 
    You have a TRc that performs better than the Tallboy, and you're considering yet another 650b bike. Sounds like you're trying to justify keeping the Tallboy even though you don't enjoy it as much as your TRc.
    I guess it depends on how much money and space you have. With possibly 3 fancy bikes, be honest with yourself about how often you'll ride the Tallboy. All bikes depreciate, so if finances are a concern, cut the ties and sell it immediately; The longer you wait, the more you'll lose on it. Or you can stare it every week and wonder why it's still there. Your choice.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member

You are 100% right on the proper setup. I did only one demo on the TB LT and while the SC people tried to dial the cockpit for me - removed the spacer and placed wider bars it did not feel perfect. I am pretty sure it could be much better but I don't feel the playfulness is there. Don't get me wrong, I liked the bike, but after I tried 650 I don't want to go to 29 again.
    The speed is not that important to me, fun is.
    650 likes to jump more, changes direction easier. It just feels right for me.

mtbr member

You have a point there...
    If I get the Solo in the future, I will not keep the TRc though.
    I will give the TB few more triew before I cut the ties.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a nearly identical situation. I have a TBc with a PUSHed RP23, non-tuned Fox 32 fork 120mm, XT-level build with some upgrades. I also have a 650b TRc, stock RP23, Fox 32 fork 130mm. Both bikes weigh around 26 lbs.

For me, however, there isn't a clear winner yet. I agree that the TRc is better downhill, and it's better on really fast twisty singletrack -- it just rails corners. But the TBc is a better climber for me. The front end of the TRc tends to wander and lift on steep technical climbs. My trails have a lot of short steep rocky climbs, and the TRc gets bounced off line a lot easier. I went from an 80mm to a 100mm stem on the TRc just to help keep the front end planted on climbs. I run a 90mm stem on the TBc. (I'm 5'7" with long arms and legs and ride mediums.)

The TRc does feel somewhat more playful, but the TBc is also pretty playful, especially for a 29er. Overall, I love the TBc handling, and I feel like it's the perfect balance between quick steering and stability. I tend to like a pretty quick steering bike, though.

The TRc feels like it just fits me a little better, even though it is set up pretty much the same. It feels better balanced and more confident going over logs and other obstacles, and it's easier to manual (I assume due to the shorter chainstays).

I think the TBc is faster overall, and it is always my choice for races. It is also better through rock gardens (as expected with the bigger wheels). I really like that I can set the suspension stiffer (more air, more ProPedal) for racing or smoother trails, or set it up softer for rocky trail riding.

To me, the TRc's rear suspension feels wallowy in the mid-stroke. If I add more air pressure to reduce the wallow, then I don't use a lot of the suspension travel. Maybe a custom tune would help.

Overall, I like both bikes, but there isn't a clear winner for me. I would love to upgrade to a new Solo and Tallboy2, but they probably wouldn't be much different from what I already have. Plus, the 650b TRc conversion raised the BB height, which works better on the rocky trails I ride.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    You have a point there...
    If I get the Solo in the future, I will not keep the TRc though.
    I will give the TB few more triew before I cut the ties.

Are you looking for a more dh stable XC bike, or something more on the lines of a true 650 similar to the TRc? I would think the Solo would fall under XC/Trail. I didn't see Bronson mentioned is why I'm throwing it out there.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member

Re: SC TRc 650b VS Tallboy

I am not sure about the Bronson yet. I did a short demo on a inadequate Xc trail, I need more time on it. For the trails around here the Solo would be perfect.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    After reading your initial post it sounds like you have put a lot of effort into making the TBc tuned/fit for you but it appears the TBc is not tuned for the trails you ride........unless your trails are all flat? If I were in your situation I would cut ties with the TBc ASAP. Then focus on tuning the TRc for 650B wheels. Sit on the side lines for a few months and wait to see what other 650B frames hit the market. But if you're a Santa Cruz Fanboy then pick up the Solo. The Solo has peek my interest but I just picked up a new Ventana Alpino. So I will focus on the Ventana this year then see where it stands in early 2014.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You'll get more pedal strikes on the Solo than your Trc - might not matter where you are though. Drop the Trc fork to 130 & try it - could make your decision easier. Don't ever try an Ibis Ripley or HDR and you'll be fine!

Good luck!