mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SC 5010 functional BB height

Bit of a NOOB question...

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong, but any thoughts on how much lower should I expect the BB height to be after proper sag and rider on?

The 5010's BB is low to start "SoLow" and I don't want to get any lower than my 26in hard tail (305mm) for my next bike purchase.

Thanks!

-Berm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong, but any thoughts on how much lower should I expect the BB height to be after proper sag and rider on?

The 5010's BB is low to start "SoLow" and I don't want to get any lower than my 26in hard tail (305mm) for my next bike purchase.

Thanks!

-Berm
    The drop in your BB depends on sag and weight. Your hardtail BB height never changes (maybe a bit depending on tire pressure) so inevitably full squish bike will drop it's bb under more harsh bumps. The Solo/5010 BB is lower, but not so low that it really stands out too much. The Solo BB is 13.1 in, a full 1.1 in higher than your hard tail. You should be good.

mtbr member

Thanks!

-Berm
    FWIW, I rode a stock 5010 w/130 fork in Sedona with tons of up/down chunk to navigate with no pedal strikes with approx. 30% sag with +200lb rider. Bike rides a little high in the travel, so that helps keep it from feeling as low as it sounds as well.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    FWIW, I rode a stock 5010 w/130 fork in Sedona with tons of up/down chunk to navigate with no pedal strikes with approx. 30% sag with +200lb rider. Bike rides a little high in the travel, so that helps keep it from feeling as low as it sounds as well.
    I extended the fork on my Solo to 140. BB was raised maybe to 13.3-13.2 from 13.1. I also got thin platform pedals. Pedal strikes should not be an issue.

mtbr member

Thanks!

-Berm
    305mm = ~12.2" on your hardtail

The Solo starts at 13.1". Sag is good for say ~1.5" [30%] and the BB will still go lower as the bike moves through its travel.

Whether that matters depends on where you ride. I've got friends with Bronsons and Hecklers [13.6" BB] that are getting loads of pedal strikes where we live.

I've got a bike with a 14" BB and I get the odd strike, but mostly can avoid it.

What your local terrain looks like will really determine if you should worry about a low BB. If you have rough climbs to deal with trying to ratchet your pedals and spend a lot of attention on avoiding hitting stuff gets old fast.

If your pedals aren't particularly thin currently you can buy yourself some extra clearance going to a thin pedal.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

banned
    Jan 2014
    When you cycle through a fork on a ht. The bb height changes. Rigid with high tire psi is the only way a bb height stays constant. Similar to a road bike. FS the bb height constantly changes.

mtbr member

Thanks!

-Berm
    A quick estimate would be to take the % sag you are shooting for - say 25%. And assume that much of the bike's travel will be used up vertically in this case 31mm drop on a 334 BB gives you 303.

As others have noticed it will go lower if you are really compressing the suspension, but typically where it matters most is on techy climbs where you have to pedal as you cross chunkiness where the suspension will be higher near the sag level. That's not super accurate, but it gives you an idea of where you will be.

Where I live a low BB makes roots and rocks less fun to deal with because they are everywhere so you need to really focus on your pedalling. My current bike has a 356mm high BB which I like, but the new crop of bikes are heading towards lower BBs. I wouldn't buy a Solo though that's too low for me.

Just putting tires that are smaller and lower the BB 10mm means way more pedal strikes where I ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I have been riding chunky trails lately on Solo. The kind that might make people with low BB have worries but I didn't notice any more pedal strikes than my old Stumpjumper. The Stumpjumpers have pretty much the same BB height. I did raise my fork and put thin platforms on, so that may have helped a bit.