Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Upset Say what you will about Giant's 650B marketing math... But this is just disappointing

I had my LBS order a 2014 Giant XTC 2 27.5 for me. The fit is fantastic and I LOVE the balance of control/speed/climbing... It's great. However, I was expecting this bike to have a fork lock-out control on the handle bar LIKE IT SHOWS ON THEIR WEBSITE! Now obviously Giant covers their butt with the line "All specifications and prices listed are subject to change without notice" but come on... Really? They need to change the price tag on their site to reflect that component. It's not a $1700 bike if it costs $1850 to match the picture. And that's just one piece that I noticed for now...

GRRR! I was especially looking forward to that convenient lock-out control.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    On the flip side, the Tempt5 27.5 I bought for my wife came with better front and rear deraillers than listed online.

Sorry to hear you got the short end of the stick. I bet you LBS (if they are worth a damn and you haven't done anything to piss them off) would be quite willing to hook you up at cost on the part if you were to ask nicely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ummm, the web site makes no mention of a remote lock out on the fork, nor does the picture show one.

XtC 27.5 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I may be wrong here, but what's that 5th line running from the handle bar to the top of the fork? Pretty much every bike I look at has 4 lines, two for brakes and two for the shifters. The 5th line always seems to be the fork lock-out when I see that many. Is there something else it could be?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    And yes, it doesn't have it listed, but it appeared to be shown in the picture to my untrained eye.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How many posts are we going to see like this. You bought a bike based on the picture instead of the specs? Seriously?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Order a burger from the picture at Burger King.
    Compare to what you receive!

Did you stop to consider that the pic is on purpose, to illustrate that there is routing for a dropper post?

Notice no extra cable to the fork. And there is no dropper pictured, so idiots don't get confused.

Always go by the specs listed, and ask your dealer first, that's what they are for.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Yes, the picture shows a remote lockout, but nowhere do they list it as a feature or component in the price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Apparently "what you see is what you get" has gone out of fashion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Order a burger from the picture at Burger King.
    Compare to what you recieve!
    If I ordered a burger that had bacon pictured on it, I would rightly expect there to be bacon on the burger I ordered. Crazy?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I still don't see a fork lockout anywhere in that picture.

Edit: I see what you are seeing now...(iPhone pic is tiny!) but that still doesn't change the listed parts spec.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuhsojoshuA View Post
    If I ordered a burger that had bacon pictured on it, I would rightly expect there to be bacon on the burger I ordered. Crazy?
    If it was called a bacon burger, then yes. It could be a burger with a $1.00 add on for bacon. You can talk with your bike shop and see if they can do something for you, if not they might give you a discount on a remote. Remote lockout is only partially useful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Why do you say only partially useful? Is it less solid than locking it out on the fork? I'm trying to avoid having to stop or bend over while riding downhill when I forget to unlock it at the apex of a climb.

mtbr member
    Why do you say only partially useful? Is it less solid than locking it out on the fork? I'm trying to avoid having to stop or bend over while riding downhill when I forget to unlock it at the apex of a climb.
    It works like a fully functional lockout, but it is not that hard to reach down and flip the knob on the fork. I had pop lock for my old revelation fork and I dont miss it with my new Fox fork.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    It sounds like you are pointing to the picture insisting it has bacon, when it isn't listed, picture doesnt show bacon, and isn't reflected in the bargain burger price.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Now I just want some bacon! I bet Giant could sell the bike even easier if they put bacon in the picture. Mmmmm Bacon.
    Name:  bacon+cooked.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  48.7 KB

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Haha yes indeed Moefosho. I'll place an order for a Giant bacon bike right now.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I ordered the Giant bacon, but it wasn't as crispy as the bacon in the picture!

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It's still bacon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Obviously there are differing opinions on whether it's the manufacturer's err in advertising or my own err in EXPECTING TO GET WHAT IS SHOWN!

Please, you don't need to keep attacking me for having the opinion I have.

And YES, I did indeed have my LBS order this bike, but only after I devoured every bit of information I could find on it. Add to that, I am a current owner of a slightly older model XTC 2. So I'm pretty familiar with the model already. When I saw this one little thing standing out, I knew what I was looking at. So yeah, I was hoping it was actually part of the bike.

But again, if you just want to respond further and tell me it's my own fault for expecting to get bacon when I see bacon, please move on. I just wanted to let other people who are in the same situation know that something's up. I still like the bike, and I'm adding the part, I just wish it came that way in the first place.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I had my LBS order a 2014 Giant XTC 2 27.5 for me. The fit is fantastic and I LOVE the balance of control/speed/climbing... It's great. However, I was expecting this bike to have a fork lock-out control on the handle bar LIKE IT SHOWS ON THEIR WEBSITE! Now obviously Giant covers their butt with the line "All specifications and prices listed are subject to change without notice" but come on... Really? They need to change the price tag on their site to reflect that component. It's not a $1700 bike if it costs $1850 to match the picture. And that's just one piece that I noticed for now...

GRRR! I was especially looking forward to that convenient lock-out control.
    I've had about 20 forks in the last 5 years, all with lockout, and never used it. Who does?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    what's a lockout?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    what's a lockout?
    Thank you to everybody who participated in this thread! I got a much needed good laugh, especially when I saw the picture of bacon!!! LOL
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    08 Specialized StumpJumper
    11 Giant Reign (converted to 27.5)
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

rketing math... But this is just disappointing

Well...regardless of how much a lockout gets used or not...if the site shows it but it does not come with it...then it is inaccurate.

Also giants website ****ing blows balls anyways. I hate their Geo chart for not being in mm..or at least having both. Or Geo chart not being as in depth as other charts etc..

So giants website sucks balls

EDIT: sorry, the only reason in posted this is because I had recent reason to vent about their website lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    I've had about 20 forks in the last 5 years, all with lockout, and never used it. Who does?
    Ditto.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast