Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Santacruz BLUR LT Carbon Green hornet

Fresh out of the box, just finished the build....thought I would share before the christening ride.

2012 Large BLUR LTc, CC40 tapered headset, Raceface Xtype BB, Shimano SLX cranks, 32T chainring, Fox RP23 Kash., Fox 36 TALAS 120-160mm Fork, WTB 650B trail/XT wheelset, Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3 tires, Aid Elixr 5 brakes, Shimano 1X10 drive XT shadow/SLX shifter, Sunline Risers on Syncros 65mm stem, Easton EA50 SP & WTB Power DH seat, ODI Rouge lockons, Time ATAC Z alloy Strong clipins..

**Static unloaded BB is 14.2" (dynamic sagged BB measurement is 12.5")

(only thing I have to resolve is that the rear shifter cable routing is not provisioned for full length cable housing, a couple little problem solver adapters should do the trick!)

Weight as built with pedals and all: 31.06 Lbs

Last edited by Morpheous; 09-10-2012 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sweet fire pit circle.

mtbr member
    DIY forestry service, (that is where our tree landed), so we just cut it up and made "Wood henge" Its actually pretty nice! (here is another angle with my son's roundy round pump track)

Last edited by Morpheous; 09-07-2012 at 10:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Morpheous - how tall are you?

I have a BLT Al., currently w/ an 80mm stem, and thinking of going shorter...
    How does that 65 work for you?

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Looks great! Did you have to shim the RP23 on the size L frame? It looks like there's plenty of clearance in your pics but I'm guessing you probably cycled it though the travel once or twice to double check.

All around a great build. Can't wait to read a ride report.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Morpheous - how tall are you?

I have a BLT Al., currently w/ an 80mm stem, and thinking of going shorter...
    How does that 65 work for you?
    5' 11" , I have not ridden more than a 75mm stem for almost 20 yrs. So it feels good to me.

**RR, got to thinking about your observation, swapped an 80mm stem on for the 60mm, I like it better!)
    Last edited by Morpheous; 10-01-2012 at 09:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos View Post
    Looks great! Did you have to shim the RP23 on the size L frame? It looks like there's plenty of clearance in your pics but I'm guessing you probably cycled it though the travel once or twice to double check.

All around a great build. Can't wait to read a ride report.
    Early to tell, have not had it out on the local trail with all the "V-out drainage crossings", that is the test, should happen this weekend and I will report. -m

****Rode it overt the weekend, hit the bottom outs, no rubbing, so no shock shimming!
    Last edited by Morpheous; 09-10-2012 at 09:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm a sucker for chopped and stacked wood. My ex gf said she caught me staring more at fallen timber than other women, ha.

mtbr member
    ...anyone wants to come over and help split the wood can ride the pump track!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    Early to tell, have not had it out on the local trail with all the "V-out drainage crossings", that is the test, should happen this weekend and I will report. -m
    No sheet man......how can we make them faster without crushing our rear ends?! That is really the only place I get flex on my rigs and tires is those but with Strava taking precedence over frame/wheel care, I think we get the honey badger to let us "fix" those!

Also for the others here, I Parking lot tested the Green Hornet last night and it is the perfect Morpheous build for sure!!! Great Bike/Build Morph, I will bring the Green Rogues by today

mtbr member
    Thx to Hito for some carbon bars and a nice light seat, got the Green hornet down to 30.11 Lbs!

(Lots of potential for weight savings still in brakes, pedals, and rims/wheels) I'm green with "Enve" ;-)
    Last edited by Morpheous; 09-09-2012 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    wow that look`s sweet

mtbr member
    Ride report: The bike is just what I had hoped coming off the Butcher, a tad lighter, less flex in the rear end, sharper steering, and shorter WB. Very happy with it at this point. No rubs on bottom out so far. Dont think I would go shorter on the fork after all, 160mm feels good.(about 15mm greater A2C than recommended), but then you sag 30+mm so almost a wash geometry wise HTA prob in the 67.8 range from the stock 68.1...

Build Update: added some parts today to lighten it by 1.5 lbs. 29.5 lbs now. Protaper Carbon bars, thomson post, SDG duster seat, Hope brakes Race X2s/ floating rotors. (maybe rims/wheels (enve maybe?) and diff pedals eventually-Ordered TIme Roc-x.)

Last edited by Morpheous; 09-09-2012 at 10:31 PM.

mtbr member
    What kind of bars are those? I can't tell! PRO TAPER!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    What kind of bars are those? I can't tell! PRO TAPER!
    Yea, Big, Bold, and 780mm wide! (Probably trim a little, but not much maybe 12-15mm of each end, they feel great)
    Last edited by Morpheous; 09-09-2012 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Love this Green Hornet Morph! Beautiful build looks so sick with the wall atlas in the background too! We will slay the smoothies on Closing Weekend at the Shoe 650b style!!

mtbr member

Good job!

You bet, we will roll! Thanks for the great parts! Brakes are butterty smooth...

Life Is Short
    Sweet Kawasaki green meanie! I put 2.1 kenda nevergo's in the rear of my Stinkys to avoid any type of rub (waiting on Maxxis' Highroller 650 to be released which are pretty low profile)

I would keep an eye on that bike!!!! That looks like bike bait to a scumbag thief like
    an unattended sack of Big Macs to a fat kid.

Nice tree stump area. Errr---how about putting a pool there? Looks like it will fit. Youre lucky you got some good backyard space, I'd like to put a pool in but don't have the room (typical
    So Cal. over-priced home)

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Ride report: No rubs on bottom out so far. Dont think I would go shorter on the fork after all, 160mm feels good.(about 15mm greater A2C than recommended), but then you sag 30+mm so almost a wash geometry wise HTA prob in the 67.8 range from the stock 68.1...
    Awesome and thanks for the update. One question - is that TALAS the 26" version or the 650b specific one? I know a lot of folks have run the 26" Float and TALAS 36 with 650 and am trying to figure what to go with for my build for which I'd be purchasing a fork. I don't want to rake out the front end too much and am not sure if the 650b 160mm FOX would be too tall, but I definitely like the idea of 160mm up front for bike park days and stuff like that.
    Thanks Morpheus for the build and ride info - very helpful

Dissolved member
    That is a great looking bike, congrats!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos View Post
    Awesome and thanks for the update. One question - is that TALAS the 26" version or the 650b specific one? I know a lot of folks have run the 26" Float and TALAS 36 with 650 and am trying to figure what to go with for my build for which I'd be purchasing a fork. I don't want to rake out the front end too much and am not sure if the 650b 160mm FOX would be too tall, but I definitely like the idea of 160mm up front for bike park days and stuff like that.
    Thanks Morpheus for the build and ride info - very helpful
    Yes, that is a normal 26" TALAS 36 120-160mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Definitely a nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Very nice. I know it's new, but can you relay your impressions on VPP vs APP. Might be a moot point now, but I am curious. Small bump sensitivity, mid stroke wallow, big hit attitude, square edge roll-ability, etc.
    -Joe

mtbr member
    So the VPP is definitely smoother over small bump (Roots, rock edges) and for any square edged hit due to the rearward movement of the wheel first as compared to the APP single pivot jolt. Mid to end stroke is very similar between the two. Both feel bottomless, and have a slightly falling rate feel through the end of the stroke. The LTc wheelies better but I think that is due to the inch shorter WB. Biggest difference is the lateral and torsional stiffness of the carbon rear end on the LTc.For me, the Butcher wallowed a bit.

*note: I am comparing the standard 10mm QR rear ends, which is what I have. (SC is now converting the fleet of carbon trail/AM bikes to 12 X 142 Thru axles, which will make the rear end even stiffer)
    Last edited by Morpheous; 09-11-2012 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    So the VPP is definitely smoother over small bump (Roots, rock edges) and for any square edged hit due to the rearward movement of the wheel first as compared to the APP single pivot jolt. Mid to end stroke is very similar between the two. Both feel bottomless, and have a slightly falling rate feel through the end of the stroke. The LTc wheelies better but I think that is due to the inch shorter WB. Biggest difference is the lateral and torsional stiffness of the carbon rear end on the LTc.For me, the Butcher wallowed a bit.
    Very nice. Thanks for the detail. Hearing from someone with some real perspective on the matter speaks volumes.
    -Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast