Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Santa Cruz Solo : anybody got theirs and riding it? Thoughts on ride quality, fit, et

I am looking to try to demo one this weekend and the size is still iffy for me. (5'10.5 and longer legs). So if you are in that range, did you go Med or Large?
    Last edited by trukweaz; 06-28-2013 at 09:55 AM.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Santa Cruz sizing is consistent. I'd say large for sure. I'm 5'11 and demo'd a large TRc and a large Tallboy. Sizing was spot on for both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm 5'10" 33" inseam and have always felt better on the large when I've demoed Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Concur.

I'm 5-10.5/33 inseam and ordered a large Bronson. Medium would be too small.

dwt
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Solo : anybody got theirs and riding it? Thoughts on ride quality, f

For comparison, I'm 5'10" @ 30" inseam and own a M Tall Boy. Using 90mm stem.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7 and got the Medium. For the two rides I've had on it, it is a great fit for me. For my ride review, go here:

Has anybody got their Solos yet?
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm about 5'5 and got a med Nickel. Fits great with a super short stem and a 170mm crank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Everybody feel that at 5'11" a large is a homerun?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Was looking at this bike for my next purchase as well, how does it ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I sat on a Solo, short ride. I loved it. The bike felt rock solid under me, in a way no 26" ever could. Yet, it didn't seem beastly and slow like my 29er. A little lighter than the Rocky Mountain Altitude (another great bike). The Solo seems like a perfect trail bike. I'll know more when mine arrives. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    Was looking at this bike for my next purchase as well, how does it ride?
    Rides fantastic. See my post above for my initial review.

It just plain rails. It it just plain fun. I'm also amazed how firm a pedaling platform it has yet still feels cushy on the rough stuff.
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KTjoe View Post
    yup
    here we go again

dwt
    mtbr member

Santa Cruz Solo : anybody got theirs and riding it? Thoughts on ride quality, f

Quote Originally Posted by KTjoe View Post
    As I posted above, I'm 5'10" and have a M TBc which I run with a 90mm stem. Tried a 70mm, too cramped. Check the dimensions @ SC site , but I'm thinking a L with a short stem could be your ticket.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ^ That sounds spot on to me. I haven't gotten my L Bronson yet, but my LBS backs that up. If you run flat pedals, toe overlap is a bigger issue than with clipless, which is the main reason I can't jimmy into a SC medium. I demo'ed a L Tallboy LTc, and it felt somewhat gangly, but was not set up optimally for me at the smaller end of the fit. FWIW.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Have you tried the Fit Calclulator at Competitive Cyclist?

Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    5'10", 175 lbs, 32" inseam - I went with the large frame

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's a sexy lookin bike ya got there.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 9", 30" inseam, and went with a large Bronson. Stand-over is still fine (only .4" over a M) and more of my height is in my torso, so the extra 1" of effective top tube means it worked fine for me with the stock (70mm?) stem. Competitive Cyclist fit calculator put me between M and L, a little closer to the M side.

YMMV

Santa Cruz Solo : anybody got theirs and riding it? Thoughts on ride quality, fit, et-bronsoncxt.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm only 5'8.5, 190 lbs, and 32 inseam and I went with a large. I was fortunate to try both the M and L on 90 minutes jaunts on some good trails. The M I had a lot more difficulty on, the L felt right at home.

Went for my first ride last night, and then again this am, LOVE this bike! Love even more that my son, 8, is itching to get out with me every chance he can. I can see him being my biking buddy as he gets older and more competent, doing really well already!

mtbr member
    Just got my al solo 30lbs 5 oz without pedals rxc build too dark for pics the orange looks way different with the flash
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I got my Solo last week. I wrote up a review. Hope this is informative for those who are curious:

First impressions:

Well I have taken the bike out three times, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I think about the bike and how it rides.
    I got the carbon model with the R kit. This is the lowest build kit you can get with carbon frame. For most people this setup will totaly suffice. Don't expect to get a feather-weight bike at this price point though. The wheels are heavier than my 29er and the other components (crank, cassette etc,) are not top end either.For me that is totally fine, as I plan to upgrade over the winter and over the life-span of about 5 years that I plan to keep the bike. My large frame weighs almost 29 lbs.
    While I am talking about frames I should note that Santa Cruz sizes a bit small. I normally ride a medium (I am about 5'10), but the medium felt real small on me. A large feel on par with the medium Stumpjumper FSR 29er that I was riding before this.
    One of the highlighted features on this bike is the 27.5 wheels. I admit, I was a 29er loyalist for a while. After riding smaller-wheeled bikes at demos though, I realized I was missing that extra manueverability that my old 26ers had, but I loved the traction of the 29er. The choice to jump to 650b was a natural one. I think after riding them a short time, most people will really like what the wheels offer and see that this is, depsite the cliche, the Goldilocks wheelsize. I feel my traction is really close to my 29er but I get great handling characteristics too.
    Getting away from wheelsize it's important to remember the Solo is a trailbike. One of the first on the market that isn't a full on AM rig with 150 mm of travel. The 130 mm fork and 125 mm rear shock seem shallower than bikes in the past I have owned (ie, my old Stumpy FSR Comp 29er) but my ability to change lines fast and accelerate out of tight situations makes the bike more capable in my opinion. I am still dialing in my Fox setup but I think this is a good amount of travel for most of the situations I ride in.
    Many have commented on the lower bottom bracket. To me it is a non-issue as I have ridden mostly Specialized products with bottom brackets at similar heights. I think I have my sub-concious is always aware of looming pedal strikes and I just react naturally now. I didn't have any more/less strikes than on previous bikes I have owned (for the record I mostly ride in Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming. Trails designed by IMBA. Lots of technical granite riding).
    The brakes on the R kit are great. I have ridden much higher-spec'd bikes with brakes indistinguishable from these. I realize higher end models probably weigh less and have better featuers but I was impressed with these. They never felt underpowered and modulation was predictable and linear.
    I have a 3x10 set up on the R build. I am not a big fan of the 3x setup after riding a few 2x's. I plan to replace the large ring with a 34t-sized bashguard (slightly bigger than the stock 32t ring in case i wanna change the 32t to a 34t). A couple times the large ring (which I have yet to actually use) caught on rocks I was triyng to pop up on. It's a hideous sound/sensation that I will not miss. I should be able to get an extra inch (doest not sound like much but really is) of clearance when I drop it.
    Rear derailleur (Shimano M675, according to the SC website) shifts adequately. It has the new-fangled clutch on it that minimizes chain slap. Shop told me just to keep it on all the time. This may explain why it takes a little extra oomph to push through the gears. Maybe I will de-activate it soon and see what it does for me.
    Overall the bike pedals extremely well. I know as soon I get a dropper on it I will be able to pedal even better.
    The few gripes I have with the bike are from me being picky and not having enough $ to throw at the top spec build. I think a wheel upgrade is a must for me on this bike and a dropper (which is in the mail). I threw my carbon bars and syntace stem from my 29er on this bike. The stock bar/stem weighed 8 oz more than my Easton/Syntace set up!
    To me this a great "Swiss-Army" mountain bike that is meant for epic, distance-covering rides but can still hang on the technical stuff. I am only three rides in and I am having a renewed perspective on riding by changing up my mountain bike toolbox with this new rig. Wheelsize is a big part of this, but not exclusively the reason why I feel this way.
    Sorry for the long-winded review, but figured this might help out someone who is interested in this bike. Shoot me any ?'s if you got any. Great bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Can anyone tell me actual bottom bracket height from ground to center?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbschrader View Post
    Can anyone tell me actual bottom bracket height from ground to center?
    I think their geo chart on their website is pretty accurate at 13.1 inches. I plan on extending my fork to 140 mm and raise the bb just a hair.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks.

I Ride for Donuts
    GnarBraWyo, that was a big help, thanks. I'm very much in the same boat... 29ers for the past several years, 26 before that...missing the fun/flickability factor, and looking at the Solo as an option.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast