Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Santa cruz bronson vs giant trance 27.5

Anybody ridden both of these bikes? They seem like an almost similar bike on paper though the Trance is longer and has slightly less travel.

I am thinking about getting a bronson but the trance is a lot cheaper, though I am concerned about the length of the Trance and I Don't like the proprietary parts.

What are the differences in how these 2 bikes ride?

mtbr member
    Buy the Santa Cruz, your getting a better bike for sure, talk to your local dealer, maybe he can help you out on price, spend a little more bucks, for a better bike is worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Funny...when I was going between the Heckler, Bronson, and Trance, I was told by my LBS that's sells both brands that all of them are great bikes and it came down to personal preference.

I ended up buying the Trance 1. Love the bike. Not sure what the problem is with "proprietary parts", because frankly the bike so far does everything well. It's a true enduro do-it-all bike.

However if you like the SC brand and feel it's somehow built better...go for it. Both bikes are made of essentially the same stuff, and in the same place. Both bikes have good warranties...with Giant's lifetime frame and SC's lifetime bearings you have some slight differences to think about. But both companies do well to stand behind their products regardless.

mtbr member
    I did forget to throw in test ride the bikes first, you will know from there what to do, I have done a lot of test rides, reading reviews and looking at spec's, as a x racer I know what I am looking for in a bike.

At the end, your looking for the best bike for the best price, after I made my choice, went to the dealer and got 900 bucks off on the bike that I wanted, never know until you ask.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Anybody ridden both of these bikes? They seem like an almost similar bike on paper though the Trance is longer and has slightly less travel.

I am thinking about getting a bronson but the trance is a lot cheaper, though I am concerned about the length of the Trance and I Don't like the proprietary parts.

on paper the Trance's TT is a bit longer, but not by much, I wonder about the long wheelbase myself.

if you mean the Giant brand parts, most people are saying the Giant dropper posts are pretty good, and apparently the wheels are made by DT (not sure about the cheaper ones).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What models are you looking at?
    When I looked at the Aluminum versions, the Bronson was cheaper.

When I looked at the carbon XT kits, the Bronson was $500 more, but keep in mind the Bronson is a full Carbon frame, the Trance rear is Alumimun. Trance- giant wheels, the Bronson, DT swiss hubs with WTB rims. Trance- Press fit BB, Bronson threaded.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I was looking at the trance X2 or the bronson alloy frame. If I got the bronson I would need to build it up. I already have a group set, bars, stem etc but would have to purchase wheels and a fork. If I got the Trance X2 I would swap out the groupset etc for the bits I have. By proprietary I mean the pressfit BB, the 1.25/1.5" fork and stem. Stems in 1.25" are hard to find here and very expensive if I wanted a shorter one.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just wondering the differences in how these bikes ride compared to each other. I am pretty much set on a bronson but if the Trance rides the same - it's a much cheaper option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was looking at the trance X2 or the bronson alloy frame. If I got the bronson I would need to build it up. I already have a group set, bars, stem etc but would have to purchase wheels and a fork. If I got the Trance X2 I would swap out the groupset etc for the bits I have. By proprietary I mean the pressfit BB, the 1.25/1.5" fork and stem. Stems in 1.25" are hard to find here and very expensive if I wanted a shorter one.

Oh yeah, the 1.25" stem is a big negative for Giant (definitely proprietary), and I also like that Santa Cruz still uses threaded BBs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you really want to save, get a used Blur LTc frame. You will limit yourself some as far as rear tire selection but not too much really. Most prefer a smaller/lighter rear with larger/fatter front anyway. Other than that it is for sure a guessing game unless YOU ride both frames similarly equipped.

Fred

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What about a Heckler instead, if you want to save money, as it is 27.5"?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I already have a Blur LT that I am selling and I don't want a single Pivot bike

official eMpTyBRain
    Trance is gonna be a better climber, less squat in the design.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Trance is gonna be a better climber, less squat in the design.
    Another "theory" jockey... good luck with that.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Another "theory" jockey... good luck with that.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I take it you're a SC fanatic then...

mtbr member
    No, I've actually ridden both and OWN the Bronson. My subjectivity is based on reality. Those that know me certainly know I'm not an SC fanboy as I came back only after having owned several other suspension designs including DW link which Maestro was modeled after. I go for best current technology, not brand (fact is I've bashed SC as much as anyone). The Trance was actually highest on my list because of affordability - simply isn't as good of a bike as the Bronson (for the way I ride).

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Your statement coudln't be further from the truth. The pivot points of the Bronson (and Solo) were tweaked vs. VPP2 and they climb better than any bike I've ever ridden.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

official eMpTyBRain
    G MAN is the best!

mtbr member
    G MAN is the best!
    NOW you're making sense!

Merry Christmas,

G MAN

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Re: Santa cruz bronson vs giant trance 27.5

No, I've actually ridden both and OWN the Bronson. My subjectivity is based on reality. Those that know me certainly know I'm not an SC fanboy as I came back only after having owned several other suspension designs including DW link which Maestro was modeled after. I go for best current technology, not brand (fact is I've bashed SC as much as anyone). The Trance was actually highest on my list because of affordability - simply isn't as good of a bike as the Bronson (for the way I ride).

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Your statement coudln't be further from the truth. The pivot points of the Bronson (and Solo) were tweaked vs. VPP2 and they climb better than any bike I've ever ridden.
    Why did you find the Trance to be not as good as the Bronson? Which bike did you find was the best at climbing, decending, cornering etc. Did the long wheelbase on the Trance make the bike feel long?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Bronson is a killer bike. Can't comment on the Trance. Previously rode a 29er with 150mm fork and similar geo to the Bronson and was concerned about a loss in confidence by going to the smaller wheel. Not the case at all. I've been riding in Sedona the last few days, also the first rides on the Bronson, and never gave anything a second thought. The bike is super stable, climbs rough rocky tech great, and flat out rips.

I've got a new fox 27.5 fork I'd make you a really good deal on if you went the build route.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    if you mean the Giant brand parts, most people are saying the Giant dropper posts are pretty good, and apparently the wheels are made by DT (not sure about the cheaper ones).
    Actually the wheel is made by Giant, the hub internals are DT, but that is only on the nice wheelsets. All the other are formula hubs.

mtbr member
    Why did you find the Trance to be not as good as the Bronson? Which bike did you find was the best at climbing, decending, cornering etc. Did the long wheelbase on the Trance make the bike feel long?
    Both climb and corner great (slight nod to Bronson for climbing). I have a long torso so I actually like the long wheelbase of the Trance but the Bronson is rather generous for the size too (unlike most of SC's previous frames). Biggest difference was in the "poppyness" of the Bronson - you can boost nice air off of even little roots and rocks. That really caught me off-guard as I had no intentions of ever getting back on the VPP bus but it's the funnest bike I've ridden. The Trance felt "dead" in comparison, even after turning up the rebound and dialing in more LSC. Now granted this was NOT a fair comparison as I tested the carbon Bronson and the aluminum Trance. The difference very well may have come from the lighter and stiffer frame of the Bronson C. The cost of the carbon Trance frame tho was ridiculous so that was not an option. I would have bought the aluminum Trance if I didn't ride the Bronson C. Try both if you can - a lot of riders didn't like the Bronson at Outerbike so it's not for everyone.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Cheers for the info Gman.

official eMpTyBRain
    Try both if you can - a lot of riders didn't like the Bronson at Outerbike so it's not for everyone.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    So, then why did you jump all over me for giving my opinion earlier in this thread?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    So, then why did you jump all over me for giving my opinion earlier in this thread?
    I would venture that it has to do with your "theoretical" input vs. real-life experience. Have you ridden both bikes in question? Your initial response makes it sound like you've ridden neither.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast