mtbr member

Santa Cruz Bronson sizing help

I am5'10 and in between a medium and a large. I like throwing my bike around with a short stem and ride wide bars should I size up or down? I have always sized down on niners but their large starts at 5'11 and goes to 6'3 so i go medium witha 70 stem but Santa Cruz goes from 5'10 to 6'1 and I really want to run a 50mm stem

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" as well. I went with a large. Running 50mm stem with bars at 750mm. Fits great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    I am5'10 and in between a medium and a large. I like throwing my bike around with a short stem and ride wide bars should I size up or down? I have always sized down on niners but their large starts at 5'11 and goes to 6'3 so i go medium witha 70 stem but Santa Cruz goes from 5'10 to 6'1 and I really want to run a 50mm stem
    What size did you go for? I'm 5'11" and currently ride a Large Blur LTc with a 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    I went with a medium and feel I could have gone with either

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    What size bars and stem are you using?

mtbr member
    740 bars 50mm stem with 10* rise. If I was an inch taller no way would I have gone medium. Put it this way I am at the complete top of a medium and I am right at 5'9.5" no shoes. But I do have long arms which makes me feel like I could have ridden a large no problem. I have just always ridden mediums, my previous bikes were Niners and their large is way too big but Santa Cruz bikes are a tad smaller I feel

mtbr member
    If you get a large and don't like it I will trade you frames because I really could go either way. "As long as its a carbon tennis ball"

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks man, that's cool.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what happen here a long time ago? I am having the same dilemma. Ugghh frustrating. I want to run a 50-60mm stem with 785mm bars. I am 5'10 1/2" long torso. I had a large before and felt like the pedals were a little in front of me even with the seat all the forward.

V-Shaped Rut
    FWIW I'm 5'11" and run a large 5010. I thought the M was a bit on the small side, especially if a shorter stem is wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by SCParker View Post
    Does anyone know what happen here a long time ago? I am having the same dilemma. Ugghh frustrating. I want to run a 50-60mm stem with 785mm bars. I am 5'10 1/2" long torso. I had a large before and felt like the pedals were a little in front of me even with the seat all the forward.

mtbr member
    I am 5'9" and wanted the large frame because of liking a little more room in the cockpit, unfortunately after buying a large I have the exact problem you mention of the pedals being in front of me and this has been giving me knee pains, so a medium is on order to replace the large.
    2015 SC Tallboy C
    2013 SC TRC
    2014 Heckler
    2014 Bronson C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
    I am 5'9" and wanted the large frame because of liking a little more room in the cockpit, unfortunately after buying a large I have the exact problem you mention of the pedals being in front of me and this has been giving me knee pains, so a medium is on order to replace the large.
    big_slacker and dirtbiker:

Can you explain why that is. Wouldn't sizing not impact this area as your seat position determines how your knees are placed in relation to the pedals?
    Ibis HDR 650B
    650b/27.5: "Quite literally the best of both worlds."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post

Can you explain why that is. Wouldn't sizing not impact this area as your seat position determines how your knees are placed in relation to the pedals?
    I would like to say that I know why but I do not, I know I have always owned Medium SC's and have never had knee issues while riding, for some reason with the Large frame I recently purchased "with seat all the way up" I have knee issues, I also have a medium Tallboy and Nomad and have no issues at all after riding them so the only thing I can figure is the longer frame.

Sorry I can't be specific as to why, just going on my personal experience.
    2015 SC Tallboy C
    2013 SC TRC
    2014 Heckler
    2014 Bronson C

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    5'9" here as well 170#. Test rode both the L and M Bronson C before buying the M. I took the M. One thing to note is the standover height between the two are almost identical. The top tube length felt too long on the L. It reminded me of my 29er Carve L while riding locked out. Too stretched out. The M has been mighty.

I came away feeling the L would be better for down hill but the M was a better all arounder here in central New England.

I have the opposite pedal issue with my Bronson. I feel more comfortable with a 25mm setback seatpost with the seat rammed rearward and had to go Command Post because of it.

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post

Not sure why I could offer an explanation of that statement, haha! Main diff in M to L is seat tube height and TT length which don't put your feet in any different position relative to the pedals. The ST angle is the same.

On the M I felt cramped and the seat a bit too high to fully extend my legs. Longer stem could help the reach but I didn't want to go longer on this type of bike and it wouldn't solve the seat problem so I went L.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    FWIW I'm 5'11" and run a large 5010. I thought the M was a bit on the small side, especially if a shorter stem is wanted.
    The 5010 doesn't compare size wise to the Bronson - an inch shorter wheelbase for the same size bike!!!
    OP - you need to compare apples to apples here. I'm 5'9" and find the Bronson more true to size vs. the other brands than SC's other trail bikes LIKE the 5010 which run small. I run a medium Bronson with 50mm stem and 740 bars and it fits perfect. I have a long torso and short legs (30" inseam). If you like to jump, get the Med for better maneuverability in the air. If you like long epic trail rides, get the Large. Overall tho I hate being right in the middle like you are as you usually compromise.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    5'10 here and I went through the medium or large dilemma on blurs and tallboys. I've also owned a Bronson. If you're 5'10" go large every time on Santa Cruz!!!.... Currently riding a medium Giant.

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    The 5010 doesn't compare size wise to the Bronson - an inch shorter wheelbase for the same size bike!!!
    They have almost exactly the same TT length and the same ST angle. While wheelbase, HT angle, travel, etc.. of course have an effect on how it rides, in terms of fit they're very very similar. I was on both before buying, didn't notice any fit diff at all between them personally.

mtbr member
    I went with the large Bronson and I'm 5'9". I immediately swapped my bars for 787mm & stem down to 50mm. I have been really happy with it. Sometimes I wish I would have gone with a smaller frame for maybe some more agility, but at the same time have zero complaints with my large.

I think what swayed my decision was the SC rep said if you're in between sizes to go with the larger. My friend who's an advid SC rider said the same.

I think either way you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    As a former owner of a medium Bronson (5'9" tall with a 30" inseam), if I were to do it over again, I would go for a large without hesitation. The Bronson is small for it's respective sizes especially with a 50mm stem like you are planning.

mtbr member
    Something to consider. Comparing measurements to my current bikes and the large 5010 & Bronson. At 5'9", I don't think I could get a Thomson dropper post to fit on the large. I haven't checked the specs on other dropper posts, but I'm not really interested in any of them either.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 5 Days Ago at 08:28 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    5'11" here. Had a large and sold it. Upgraded to full blown build xx1 ,xtr, pike, enve wheels etc....in a medium. The medium is far better for me. (Long torso) Night and day difference

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    5'11" here. Had a large and sold it. Upgraded to full blown build xx1 ,xtr, pike, enve wheels etc....in a medium. The medium is far better for me. (Long torso) Night and day difference

This makes no sense? Long torso, 5'11" and you went medium? Primary difference in the M to L sizing is top tube length.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm 5'10.5", 33.5" inseam (really short torso) and on a large with 740mm Enve risers. I first tried a 50mm stem which was way too short and cramped for me. My knees were in the bars on tight turns and I felt too scrunched up and top heavy.

Swapped to a 100mm stem I had off a XC bike for a day and it actually felt a lot better on the Bronson despite being too long. Currently trying out a 70mm that just arrived in the mail as of yesterday and plan to go to a 80mm which I think will be perfect. Even at 70mm I am still a little cramped turning and top heavy over-the-bars feeling on descents.

Now I am still new to mountain biking but personally the thought of my height and inseam on a medium would be crazy. Large all the way. I feel like even XL would be rideable with a super short stem. I am guessing the people I see at my height running 50mm stems on larges are running really wide bars and dont have such a long inseam?
    Last edited by endy; 4 Days Ago at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    5'10"
    30" inseam

large

60mm stem
    785 bars

On paper I could've ridden an XL with a 40-45mm stem
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)