mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Santa Cruz Bronson Alu or trek slash 9 650b

I've short listed two 650b mtbr bikes that I want to purchase next month to replace my Trance x 29er.

How long is the warranty for Bronson and slash?

Which bike climb and descend better

which suspension system do you find better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    I've short listed two 650b mtbr bikes that I want to purchase next month to replace my Trance x 29er.

How long is the warranty for Bronson and slash?

Which bike climb and descend better

which suspension system do you find better?
    SC warranty = 5yrs on frame

Lifetime free bearings for VPP & lifetime crash replacement.

2 of my friends got Bronsons and 2 more got Hecklers in 2013. Everyone is loving their new SC 650B bikes.

I ride a 5yr old SC Nomad and it has been a great bike for me. Trouble free and VPP works really well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    +1 for the Bronson, I love my carbon Bronson. The thing climbs and descends like a beast.

Also if you get the Bronson you wont have "Trek" written on your bike and thats a huge plus in my book. Does Trek make good bikes? To be fair to Trek my answer would be yes, every Trek I have ridden I have liked. Including the horribly overpriced Farley I test rode the other day. I just have a problem owning a lemming brand like Trek or Special Ed. However in reality test ride evry bike of interest buy the one that feels best.

When researching suspension design before I bought the Bronson the over all feeling I got was that the trek abp suspension is second to dw, vpp2 and maestro for that matter.

Also the Trek 9 is a $5K+ bike why are you even looking at the aluminum Bronson. The Carbon Bronson SPX is well within your reach especially last years model. Not to mention a handfull of other sweet carbon 650b bikes.

So with Trek you pay $5K+ for a aluminum frame, second rate suspension design and it says Trek on it. Thats a big fat NO for Trek.

With the Bronson you also pay $5k+ and get a top notch carbon frame, awesome suspension design and your bike does not have Trek written on it. Thats an outstanding YES for the Bronson.

Also check out the offerings from Ibis, Norco, Rocky Mountain, Yeti and Lapierre if you can find one. If any of them come with a Rock Shox Pike that would be a huge improvement over a Fux fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ride the Trek and ride the 'Cruz. That's the only way to know. Can't go wrong. Both excellent bikes. Don't pay attention to the "branded" or "lemming" nonsense. We have a lot of Santa Cruz lemmings and branded folks here, they're just too cool to see it.

mtbr member
    A test ride is a good idea.

If:

- you can actually find the bikes you want to ride
    - get the size you are after
    - get their suspension setup properly for you
    - ride some real trails that are similar to what you ride at home

Sadly I find it very hard to check all those boxes and a demo of a poorly setup bike in the wrong size doesn't tell you all that much.

I've had to buy most of my MTBs based on geo charts and online reviews. So far I've been pretty happy with the results, but it's not the ideal way to buy an expensive MTB.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    This may help some too lol...
    Trek Slash VS Santa Cruz Bronson

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would also like to hear from a few people with the aluminum bronson. Everything you read is about the carbon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    After all this talk a brand new "used" 2014 Heckler came up on Craigslist so I picked that up for a steal...

If I don't like it then I'll give it to my GF and get the Bronson/Slash XD.... Demoing a Slash this weekend anyways!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
    I would also like to hear from a few people with the aluminum bronson. Everything you read is about the carbon.
    I picked up an alloy Bronson in November and have no regrets. Obviously a bit heavier than its carbon sibling but the bike rides great. The VPP works well for climbing, even with the FOX shock in descend mode it has no trouble getting up technical rocky steeps or long hauls. When you point it downhill it bombs. Tracks true and feels really stable. If I had the extra cash at the time I would have bought the carbon, but aside from the weight savings I don't think you're giving up much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had this same question pop in my head This last weekend. I nede dup ordering a Slash 7.
    A lot of different reason pushed me to going with my 5th The Rims are ****.I will end up killing the rims in a few months ( due to where I live) I never cared really ino a carbon frame being that I live in AZ and it having basically nothing but rocks for trails, lol. One day maybe lol. The Full Float suspension is very plush to me. I demo'd a Slash 9. that thing was a Blast. Never been on a Santa Cruz so I can't comment on how the suspension feels. You also gain 10mm of travel on the slash. I know it's only 10mm but it is what it is.

My reasons may be way different than yours are but for what it's worth.
    I like going down but able to ride back up and go down again. The slash was built for more of a DH bike without really being a true DH bike. It has a 65.5* or 65* HA,the Bronson is 67* I already have a few Treks So in order for me to match what I just bought I would have to spend around 5k from 3k and using old parts from my Rumblefish ( which is going to my son) I Picked the 7 over the 8 and 9 due to I don't need the 1x11 and the New Pike has their verison of Fox's Fit Damper in it. To get that I need to buy the Slash 9. I can upgrade the Pike RC to a RCT3 for 200 bucks ( already checked into that) All the info I found on people that have a Pike would take it over the Fox 34. The end result is what you want. what fits you better. Trek has always taken care of me with my bikes. I have had a few Specialized and I won't go back to their bikes. I don't fit them correctly and They don't offer what I want to do..

Good luck with your Pick.
    2013 Trek Rig SS
    2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    2014 Trek X-Cal 5
    2014 Trek Slash 7

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: Santa Cruz Bronson Alu or trek slash 9 650b

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Donkey View Post
    I picked up an alloy Bronson in November and have no regrets. Obviously a bit heavier than its carbon sibling but the bike rides great. The VPP works well for climbing, even with the FOX shock in descend mode it has no trouble getting up technical rocky steeps or long hauls. When you point it downhill it bombs. Tracks true and feels really stable. If I had the extra cash at the time I would have bought the carbon, but aside from the weight savings I don't think you're giving up much.
    Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've owned both the metal and plastic versions of the Bronson. I live in AZ and ride very rocky trails, but the carbon is pretty bomber.

Honestly, the Bronson platform is incredible, but if you can swing the carbon, get it. Lighter, stiffer and those two traits combined make for a bike that just goes when you drop the hammer. I couldn't be more pleased.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For future threadgoers:

I went with a 2014 slash 8 and know I made the right choice. I'll keep it forever if I can.

I'm really biased towards dh though and can only afford to have one bike.

Side note: I had my first real ride on my new x-fusion metric today. It replaced the fox 34 talas ctd that came with the slash. All I can say is that the 34 really is a POS. The fox haters may be on to something. My riding was way faster and more controlled today, even after spending a month off bike. I was clearing rock gardens I'd previously had to walk, I hit a step up I'd previously been too scared of, and all around, I was able to just ride smoother over rougher, faster with less fatigue. I tried all sorts of rebound and pressure adjustments to get the fox right and never could. Even with my high and low speed compression way off today, the fork still outperformed the fox by leaps and bounds. My drcv rear end feels like sh*t now that the front is so good. It even climbed better than it had using talas and climb mode. I'll be picking up the monarch debonair ASAP, but if x-fusion made a shock for the slash I'd probably get that instead. Definitely will get an RV1 for my dh bike whenever I can build it up.