GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Santa Cruz Blur LT2 conversion...with a twist.

Since my LT2 frame had largely been gathering dust since I picked up my Tallboy LT last year - I thought I'd resurrect it and make a 650b project bike out of it. I had done the 650b conversion thing before, but I was underwhelemed by the resulting BB height and found the overall ride was not improved. I had a couple ideas I wanted to try this time around.

First off, the paint was pretty rough from a couple season of abuse, so I decided to strip it. I tried several chemical strippers and the process was a nightmare - I couldn't get it off easily. After several wasted hours I gave up and took it too a powdercoater for blasting. I asked for soda blasting, but they convinced me that sand would be a fine and significantly cheaper - so I went that route. I was a little surprised when I picked it up just how "textured" the frame was, I was a little worried too that the process might have thinned the tubes or damaged the threads. It went back together perfectly fine though....so far so good.

Next, I picked up a shorter shock. I did a little bit of research and found a couple cases where LT2 owners swapped their 8.5" shocks for 7.875" shocks and effectively turned their bikes into modern Blur 4x-type rides - short travel, low, and slack. Those bikes looked sweet, but the ~12.75" BB height was a little too low for me. I wondered if you could still squeeze 650b wheels in there and get back .5" of BB height. Just to give myself a little extra breathing room, I picked up one set of offset shock hardware to effectively lengthen the now shorter shock by 2mm. With that extra length I figured it would be nearly identical to a stock LT2 that was .5" into it's stroke.

Turned out pretty good I think - and it absolutely rails!
    67* headangle
    13.2" BB
    130mm front/~100mm rear (I had to put an extra bottom out bumper in the rear shock so it didn't hit the seat tube with the large volume Ardents I'm running)

Last edited by NoahColorado; 03-24-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Bad@$$!
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    and comparing to your Tallboy and staying with only one bike?What would it be?
    thnkx!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkul View Post
    and comparing to your Tallboy and staying with only one bike?What would it be?
    thnkx!
    One bike?! But there are seven days in a week!?

If I only had one bike, it'd be the Tallboy LT for sure - it can do it all. But this bike is a great compliment to it, it's perfect for the new fast and tight flow trails being built in my area.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Glad you gave em another try vs just poo pooing the size. Looks like a trail ripper for sure.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Your from the Grand Junction area right? I've see your name on strava I think. If so maybe I'll run into you on the trail sometime. Cool bike too.

Uncle
    How does it climb? Dropper post coming?
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    How does it climb? Dropper post coming?
    Climbs great, though I built specifically for ripping corners - does that best! Yeah, trying to figure out which post to get. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and pick up a KS Lev.

Quote Originally Posted by mtndude23 View Post
    Your from the Grand Junction area right? I've see your name on strava I think. If so maybe I'll run into you on the trail sometime. Cool bike too.
    Yeah, I live in Fruita and work in GJ. I ride pretty much everyday, usually twice this time of year! I'll be on this thing at 18rd and my black/orange Tallboy LTc everywhere else (....at least for another couple weeks ) - say hi!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member

Re: Santa Cruz Blur LT2 conversion...with a twist.

Nice! Be a great XC bike!

mtbr member
    That Superlight looks built to flat-out murder Kessel Run, yeah.
    All mountain bikes are all-mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Santa Cruz Blur LT2 conversion...with a twist.

Thanks to WilliamK the original short shocker, a few years ago I put a new lease of life in my old BLT2 and went on to convert a BLTc the same way and make a great slack XC out of it.

With my time on 650b I'd wondered what a "short shocked BLT650b" would have been like (probably similar to a TRc).....but in the end I let it rest because I liked the now standard sized 23" mediums TT as on the TRc and Tallboys as opposed to the 22.5" BLT's.

Must say, I do have a curiosity for 650b BLTc with some offset shock bushings to slacken the H/A and lower the BB....but really though I do expect SC to do it for me come April 1st, so I will wait...."Blur LT 275"

mtbr member
    Ironic you posted this right as when I posted this: Blur LT Carbon Setup Thread - Page 36

So the 650b conversion of the BLTc has reported to be around a 1/2" gain in BB height, w/ no other adjustments. So, maybe w/ a proper 650b fork set to 150mm (like a 34...?), you'd simply add the 1/2" onto the BB height...?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Bike looks rad. OT: since you're MRP dude, tell us about the chain guide you're running.S4 with the bottom sawed off(?) Why do you like it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I love the look you have got going there and I love the numbers even more Noah. I have no doubt this would rip with 650Bs – what a weapon you have created. Kudos man. Way back it would have enhanced the little experimentations Gripo and I were doing.

But I do agree with Gripo, having a slightly longer TT is a winner. Certainly helps for my body size and fit and helps me to earn the turns and I think that slightly longer front centre adds to the grip you can exploit. Not taking away from this beast, I admit being highly attracted to this set up and running back to the SC website and checking geos some more and wondering if I could copy your idea.

I’ll wait and see what SC brings out in their 650B range.

Great work Noah, thanks for sharing.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes View Post
    Bike looks rad. OT: since you're MRP dude, tell us about the chain guide you're running.S4 with the bottom sawed off(?) Why do you like it?
    Thanks.

The guide I'm using is an S4 Steel (ISCG-05) with the lower portion of the boomerang sawed off, coupled with a Carbon guide ring (carbon and steel, what a juxtaposition haha). Last year I was experimenting with upper-only style guides like this and our 1x when used with Shadow+ and Type 2 clutched derailleurs. That testing eventually lead to our AMg product which has been really well received. I'm using this guide because I had it in my parts bin, and it works great! I don't think you'll ever see this variation on the market though because our integrated skid style guides (2x, G2/G3, AMg, and Micro) are more popular than our crank-mounted bash offerings (LRP and S4). Anyone could purchase an S4 Steel guide and effectively make this guide though.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Gotcha. Thanks.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Great work Noah, thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

I hear you on the TT lengths, I ride an XL. The mods on this bike probably shrank the ETT length by a hair.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post

First off, the paint was pretty rough from a couple season of abuse, so I decided to strip it. I tried several chemical strippers and the process was a nightmare - I couldn't get it off easily. After several wasted hours I gave up and took it too a powdercoater for blasting. I asked for soda blasting, but they convinced me that sand would be a fine and significantly cheaper - so I went that route. I was a little surprised when I picked it up just how "textured" the frame was, I was a little worried too that the process might have thinned the tubes or damaged the threads. It went back together perfectly fine though....so far so good.

Noah, I was thinking of doing the exact same thing, stripping my blur LT. Which strippers did you use? Any insight why it was such an issue?
    The rough finish from blasting scares me a bit. I have a friend who works at a body shop, so I have access to getting it blasted, but he recommended using the stripper. Simply a matter of the powder coat being that tough?

mtbr member
    Aircraft Paint stripper, auto parts store (for aluminum) works fast and well. (get gloves $ goggles) Its basically super concentrated Ammonia.
    2012 SC NOMADc
    2011 SC Driver8 BikePark Sled
    2012 Surly Pugsly Fatty Trail/Dogrunner

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    Aircraft Paint stripper, auto parts store (for aluminum) works fast and well. (get gloves $ goggles) Its basically super concentrated Ammonia.
    Tried that, did not work - what a mess. Maybe it works on the paint of a "big brand" bike, but it barely worked at all on my Santa Cruz. I tried two different kinds of stripper and spent hours on it - then I gave up. But, the the finish on my frame now is not ideal (after being sand blasted). If you do get it blasted, ask for a softer media (maybe soda?).
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

reading comprehension wat
    Cool project. Nice twist with the shock length and the offset hardware to get the BB down. The Blur LT2 has a surprisingly tall BB in stock config. What's that "offset short" you used exactly? I'm guessing it's like one of those offset reducers? There's bushings that do that too, like Gripo mentioned? Am I thinking of the same thing?
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

MTB B'dos
    Powder coat and wet paint are two completely different things, wet paint will come off easily with the aircraft stripper, Powder is a royal PITA ans normally requires some nasty, nasty stripper of bead blasting, OR, if you're unlucky and got one of their frames not prepped properly it just flakes off with a knife

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Noah, I was thinking of doing the exact same thing, stripping my blur LT. Which strippers did you use? Any insight why it was such an issue?
    The rough finish from blasting scares me a bit. I have a friend who works at a body shop, so I have access to getting it blasted, but he recommended using the stripper. Simply a matter of the powder coat being that tough?
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Tried that, did not work - what a mess. Maybe it works on the paint of a "big brand" bike, but it barely worked at all on my Santa Cruz. I tried two different kinds of stripper and spent hours on it - then I gave up. But, the the finish on my frame now is not ideal (after being sand blasted). If you do get it blasted, ask for a softer media (maybe soda?).
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    What's that "offset short" you used exactly?
    That was a typo, I meant offset SHOCK hardware. I have one end offset by 2mm, to lengthen the shock from 7.875" to 7.95".
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Re: Santa Cruz Blur LT2 conversion...with a twist.

Im thinkingof doing the same thing but have an air shock on mine, was wondering what i could do with that to stop the rear wheel hitting the frame since i cant install a bumper.
    And do you think the bike now rides better than before? What differences do you notice?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD