I Ride for Donuts

Santa Cruz Bantam

So this Bantam thing was released on the same day I got $2500 for a motorcycle I have been trying to sell...

I'm a researcher, review-reader, over-analyzer when it comes to this kind of thing, so it's killing me to not have any real first hand reviews of the thing. I've been reading Heckler reviews and digging into the merits and drawbacks of single-pivot.

What's the collective opinion? Worth it for the parts spec? Honestly seems a bit pricy for what you get, but it's a proven design...

Initial thoughts?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    So this Bantam thing was released on the same day I got $2500 for a motorcycle I have been trying to sell...

I'm a researcher, review-reader, over-analyzer when it comes to this kind of thing, so it's killing me to not have any real first hand reviews of the thing. I've been reading Heckler reviews and digging into the merits and drawbacks of single-pivot.

What's the collective opinion? Worth it for the parts spec? Honestly seems a bit pricy for what you get, but it's a proven design...

Initial thoughts?
    Depends on what you're looking for I guess but I have a TB and a singl pivot SL , both are awesome , I'm sure it's plenty sweet for the price.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It is being referred to as a 27.5 Superlight, but I think it is more like a 27.5 Nickel without the APP.

I've been thinking about getting a complete Heckler,since I don't have any 27.5 wheels or fork.I figure it would cost close to $3000 if I just buy the frame, fork and decent lightweight wheels separately. However all those items(the parts I want) are in short supply,so I'm just going to wait until spring. I guess it's about how long you want to wait vs getting what you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrocks View Post
    It is being referred to as a 27.5 Superlight, but I think it is more like a 27.5 Nickel without the APP.

If that is the case, it is a winner.

Though, as much as I love my converted Nickel, I believe the 27.5 Santa Cruz bikes may have a bit of a low BB for me. The larger wheels raised things up just a bit so I could pedal more through rock gardens and roots and not have to mind my pedals as much as with the stock 26" wheels.

Overall, I think SC makes some well thought out, nicely engineered stuff.

Always in the wrong gear
    Any more impressions on the Bantam. I've demo'ed a Solo/5010 and loved it, but I realistically can't afford the build I want (XO-1). The Bantam would be a compromise for the R-AM build that I could convert to 2x10 later.

Any thoughts?
    Gary Fisher Rig SS
    Santa Cruz Solo

A gear-curious singlespeeder

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    Any more impressions on the Bantam. I've demo'ed a Solo/5010 and loved it, but I realistically can't afford the build I want (XO-1). The Bantam would be a compromise for the R-AM build that I could convert to 2x10 later.

Any thoughts?
    So buy an r build solo and upgrade as $ comes to hand. I like the single pivots but like my solo more!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Like Reformed Roadie I would be hard pressed to give up my converted Nickel due to similar terrain conditions. I also really like the APP. That being said the Bantam looks good to me. It's amazing that a mountain bike can approach the cost of a motorcycle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Can you order the Bantam with a Fox 32 fork, or is the Sektor Gold just as good? Coming off a 7 year old hardtail, not sure I could tell the difference.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Not according to the Santa Cruz website, but a shop should be able to make the swap for you. I wound up getting the Bantam...love it. I have read mixed reviews on the Sektor vs the Fox 32... they're pretty comparable and fork snobs on either end will tell you why one is better than the other. I have zero complaints about the Sektor.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ Not according to the Santa Cruz website, but a shop should be able to make the swap for you. I wound up getting the Bantam...love it. I have read mixed reviews on the Sektor vs the Fox 32... they're pretty comparable and fork snobs on either end will tell you why one is better than the other. I have zero complaints about the Sektor.
    Thanks for your reply. I was originally looking at the heckler but don't think I need that much travel. Still can't decide between the solo and bantam but leaning toward the bantam for its simplicity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I would rock the Sektor over the 32mm fox evo any day of the week.