mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Rode Trance,Turner Burner Bought Solo

Wanted to share my experience shopping for a new 27.5.
    I ride a Yelli screamy hardtail 29er and I think it is a very capable and Nimble 29er. I live in florida and most of the trails here are routed through
    abandoned phosphate mines. The trails are steep punchy climbs followed by steep drops.The trails are rooty and choppy in most places like this. The hardtail 29er is good for most of this but full suspension provides some forgiveness.
    The bike I was looking for was going to have more travel than an XC bike
    but not as much travel as an AM bike.I wanted to in the end have a bike weighing in the mid twenty's. I wanted a bike I could throw around and have more of the roll-over ability of the 29,so 27.5 was logical. Coming from a hardtail I wanted a firm pedaling bike but not sure what suspension design I wanted.

The first bike I rode was the trance 1 it fit ok ( i'm 5'7" ) it was a medium and I felt a little cramped. First impression was,the maestro was soft and there was a lot of bob while standing and pedaling.I don't think he setup the shock right bad move on his part.It was ok but 140mm travel seemed like it might be too much for here but good for trips so I kept an open mind. It weighed 29lbs and I knew it was going to be hard to get to 25 without carbon.

I had been looking at the solo thinking it was the perfect bike for here so
    I took a five hour trip to throw a leg over one that was in stock in S Florida.I just wanted to get on one to check size. Thinking I would get one frame only when they started offering them if i liked it.The kit they had was the low end R AM which was ok because I would set it up my way anyhow.It was carbon a little easier to get to the weight I wanted.
    First impression: great fit it felt perfect. I have not ridden VPP or VPP2 for that matter but this bike was a firm pedaler. I didn't have anywhere to ride it so I ran over the usual parking blocks and jumped curbs to try and get a feel for the bike.It was nimble and I could see its potential to be a fast bike.

I really didn't even consider the Turner Burner. I didnt know this shop carried them and was glad to see them in the shop. I have been reading up on the DW link and was thinking that suspension design might be for me,I was glad to be able to give it a chance.
    First Impression: Stiff Wow I had to check that it wasn't in climb mode.The firmest pedaling out of the saddle I really liked it. It wasn't until you back wheel was on the parking block did you know that it was a full suspension bike.I suspect it is a better design than the VPP2 but I couldn't know that without more experience on both.The bike weighed 27.9lbs in aluminum with an XT build and some carbon.It is anodized so that saves some weight still looked had to get to 25 lbs it had some light wheels already.

I go in and ask the salesman in he had some wiggle room on the Solo he says they are having 20% off sale and said he would extend that to me. "Wrap it up,I'll take it".Got carbon for the price of aluminum will get to my weight, and got the tweener wheel size and tweener pedaling firmness. Win Win..

mtbr member
    What size Solo did you get?
    How was sizing compared to the other bikes you rode? ( Med to Med? )

mtbr member
    I used to ride at a place in Florida called Hardrock.
    Kind of like how you describe. That place was a blast. Is it still there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    What size Solo did you get?
    How was sizing compared to the other bikes you rode? ( Med to Med? )
    I rode all mediums,the trance felt a little little cramped the lbs said everyone was running there stem upside down.
    The turner felt a little bigger than the solo but still a good fit for me.
    It seemed like the rear was a little more tucked on the solo I haven't looked at the geo on the turner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    I used to ride at a place in Florida called Hardrock.
    Kind of like how you describe. That place was a blast. Is it still there?
    I haven't ridden hardrock,but I have heard of it

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Unfortunately more travel still means more movement, and I'd kind of expect in a place like Florida you'd only need a little bit of rear travel unless youre riding the stunts at Santos.

Both the Burner and Trance in aluminum with 140mm seems overkill and overbuilt for that type of environment.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain