mtbr member

Rocky Mountain Element MSL

Incase anyone was wondering it can be done. This morning I setup a 2012 rocky element 70 msl with 650b. plenty of clearance front and back. It also seems possible to setup a rocky slayer with 650b.

Name:  tumblr_m9y23z4Xlv1qiubkco1_500.jpeg
Views: 3591
Size:  264.2 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The RM Element is a nice frame.
    Last edited by mtbdcd; 09-07-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    RMB's resident staffer posted months ago in the rocky forum that the element MSL fit 650Bs just fine.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Last edited by mtbdcd; 09-07-2012 at 04:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    RMB's resident staffer posted months ago in the rocky forum that the element MSL fit 650Bs just fine.
    Here in Canada from RMB headquarters we where told a couple weeks ago this couldn't be done. So I had to prove it could be, and share the joy.
    It makes for a pretty sexy and amazing bike.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    I really like the Element, great looking bike. The new purpose built 650b Altitude is super nice too!

Cheers,
    KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've tried the carbon MSL with a 2.2 RR and it cleared with 1mm - nowhere near enough. Also hit the seattube on compression. I ended up with the alloy version which clears the stays with plenty of space. Had to shim the shock to reduce travel by 10mm though - down to 110mm rear travel. Great bike!!!
    I wonder why there seems to be a variation in the carbon frames?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    They fit when the bike is in a work stand, how about on the trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    They fit when the bike is in a work stand, how about on the trail?
    i released all air pressure and compressed the shock fully, there was a little tire rub, but the wheel could still spin. the reality on trail, the second or 2 of that full compression (which likely is rare) will still allow the tire to spin and won't stop the bike dead on the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mederz View Post
    I've tried the carbon MSL with a 2.2 RR and it cleared with 1mm - nowhere near enough. Also hit the seattube on compression. I ended up with the alloy version which clears the stays with plenty of space. Had to shim the shock to reduce travel by 10mm though - down to 110mm rear travel. Great bike!!!
    I wonder why there seems to be a variation in the carbon frames?
    I just got myself some wheels...How have you been shimming your shock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm really bummed that they didn't do the element msl in 650b for 2013. Would have been my next bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    I'm really bummed that they didn't do the element msl in 650b for 2013. Would have been my next bike.
    Me too. I had emailed RM several months back about using an element msl converted. They told me it had only clearance for smaller tires. They kind of hinted that a 650b frame was in the works.
    I assumed it would be the element, but not the case.
    I think they view the 29" as the future element of choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Really nice...

how about giving us a run down of the specs.

2012 Element 70 MSL,

G

Quote Originally Posted by thekrow4jc View Post
    Incase anyone was wondering it can be done. This morning I setup a 2012 rocky element 70 msl with 650b. plenty of clearance front and back. It also seems possible to setup a rocky slayer with 650b.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi there

Other than having put this together, and it working, mechanically, have you taken it for a ride?

Can you give us a run down what you added, what was the total spec list for it as it's hanging there.

G
    (might be keen on getting one of these frames, if available)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdcd View Post
    Me too. I had emailed RM several months back about using an element msl converted. They told me it had only clearance for smaller tires. They kind of hinted that a 650b frame was in the works.
    I assumed it would be the element, but not the case.
    I think they view the 29" as the future element of choice.
    True, but they are continuing the 26 msl for 2013. I hope they won't take a low sales message on that bike as a lack of interest in a size other than 29. Strange that their lineup in order of travel will now be 29/100 26/120 29/130 650b/150 and 26/everything else. Would have been sweet if the new instinct was 650b.

mtbr member
    My customer has been riding this bike for a few weeks now and loving it, no complaints of tire rub, all smiles and excitment. We used Stans ztr crest wheels and pancenti neo-moto tires. Fit super well. The only possibility of rub is as I said before you managed to full compress the shock and the tire still will spin. In my opinion, not hazardous at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This morning I setup a 2012 rocky element 70 msl with 650b. plenty of clearance front and back. It also seems possible to setup a rocky slayer with 650b.
    Any chance you can confirm that the 2012 Slayer will do 650B?
    thx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
    Any chance you can confirm that the 2012 Slayer will do 650B?
    thx
    Iput the 650b wheel set into a slayer because I was curious about that. I can't be 100% certain it would work since the wheels I used where a different axel spacing then the slayer. All I can suggest is it looked from my quick attempt like it may, but in no way will I say with confidence it would. Although if it does that would be super awesome! Realistically I think for Rocky Mountain lovers, the new altitude 650b is the ticket for a great trail bike. And it's built specific for 650b.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Have read elsewhere that if you replace the MSL rear shock suspension link with one from the RSL , decreasing the rear travel to 100mm , you solve the tire rubbing on seat tube problem. You do lose a bit of travel but still have the 120 up front. I have a MSL and will be trying some 650b's on it come spring. 29 felt too slow handling for the twisty trails I like but would like additional traction of a bigger wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So got a set of 'Nancy' wheels (chinese carbon wheels from light-bicycle), threw a pair of 2.1 Neo-moto's on them and stuck them on my MSL this weekend - had a super ride on Saturday, bike felt way better than stock (how much of it was the wheels being bigger and how much was the wheels just beeing lighter I am not sure) - rode hard techy single track with no issues. In my opinion the 650b makes this great bike (2012 Element MSL) even better!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've got a 2011 slayer. I've tried a 2.4 ardent and a 2.4 trail king which measure out at 27", they both leave less then 1/2" of space at the seat stay brace. There should be enough room on the chain stay brace. I'll try to get a few pics later.

mtboaxaca
    Oct 2009
    The RM rear tire "neo moto" can fit a 2.1 and 2.3 or just 2.1?

Thanks