mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Rocky Mountain Element Carbon RSL 70 work with 650b?

I see a couple of posts in the 26" compatible thread that is does,
    I want to try 650b(both front and rear) and like this frame, so seems like a good match if rear clearance is enough.
    On my Top Fuel, not enough room.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yea, it works. Pretty darn well too. I put one together and have a few rides on it. Rear tire chainstay/seatstay clearance is good with both RR 2.25" on crest rim and quasi moto on blunt sl rim. Neither setup hits the seat tube at full shock compression either. As for the bike itself, it could be the most aggressive xc bike I have ever ridden (and I've been doing this kind of thing for a long time). I'll try to take a couple of pics and post them in the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks! What i wanted to hear.
    Looking forward to the pictures.

mtbr member
    I have been thinking of doing this with the MSL because it has 120mm of travel instead of the RSL's 100 but these frames are very difficult to find. I thought that since RM is phasing out the 26" carbon Elements in favor of 29's exclusively some would show up on the market. Otherwise I'll wait to see what they come out with in 650B in the fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here's the pics

Rough description of the build:
    X-Fusion Velvet 100mm fork
    Hope Race M4/X2 brakes
    XTR drivetrain (Sram cassette and KMC chain)
    Industry Nine wheels w/ ZTR Crest Rims
    Rotor 3D Crankset 40/27 Q rings
    Selle Italia SLR seat, Easton carbon bar, Ra Ra 2.25 tires, Thomson stem/seatpost etc., et al...
    Haven't put it on a scale but I'm guessing it is in the sub-23lb range (the x-fusion fork is heavy for an XC fork but is stiff and you don't notice the weight because it works so well).

This bike is fast, no doubt about it. The geometry is spot on, I can flick it if I want to, I I can throw it around, let the rear wheel drift, or the front, or both for that matter. The bottom bracket height is high enough so that if I want to pedal out of a turn from the apex with the bike leaned over I can without clipping a pedal on a root, rock, or the ground itself. If you are looking for an XC/Marathon race bike that can handle nasty terrain, this one should be on your short list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Element Carbon RSL 70 work with 650b?-img_0068.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Element Carbon RSL 70 work with 650b?-img_0069.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Element Carbon RSL 70 work with 650b?-img_0072.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Element Carbon RSL 70 work with 650b?-img_0070.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Element Carbon RSL 70 work with 650b?-img_0073.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Element Carbon RSL 70 work with 650b?-img_0075.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Element Carbon RSL 70 work with 650b?-img_0076.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Element Carbon RSL 70 work with 650b?-img_0080.jpg  

Uncle
    Curious, what's the static/resting BB height?
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for posting the pics. Very good looking bike. The 650b wheels make a bike look well proportioned.
    You mention the Velvet being heavy, did you weigh yours? They say 1542 grams, which is pretty light for a fork that goes up to 140mm of travel.
    Did you put an E type FD or i believe the frame can have a direct mount FD?

mtbr member
    Very Nice Bike -- nicely setup with parts etc.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yummy, me likey

Would love to get a spin on that thing for sure.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Entrenador- Static BB height is 12 7/8 inches, so not sky high. Like I said, it definitely helps with the whole pedal strike thing, and the bike's flickability. Yet it is still stable at speed- since it is a 26 frame, the BB drop is the same as it would be if you were running 26 wheels, and the increased trail from the 650b wheel both help to balance out the higher BB.

mtbdcd- I didn't weigh the velvet fork, apart from my "finger tip scale". I think there was a review on pink bike of one a few months back and it weighed in around the 4lb mark. You don't notice the weight at all. I have a Sid on my 26 Anthem and it feels like a pogoing noodle compared to the Velvet, so the added weight is going to the right places. Front derailleur is a direct mount, so you are correct.

Thanks all for the props on the build!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That bike looks awesome. There aren't a lot of 650b XC bikes out there, this is definitely one of the better builds I have seen.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

A thought on the 650b wheels...

I haven't mentioned anything about how the 650b wheel works on this bike. The wheels are there, they spin, they roll over the ground, they get you moving. That's it. They are transparent. I don't notice that I am on anything other than a Mountain Bike. That might be the best compliment to the wheel size I can make, and it think it holds the promise as to what 650b may bring.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
    I have been thinking of doing this with the MSL because it has 120mm of travel instead of the RSL's 100 but these frames are very difficult to find. I thought that since RM is phasing out the 26" carbon Elements in favor of 29's exclusively some would show up on the market. Otherwise I'll wait to see what they come out with in 650B in the fall.
    The MSL won't work as the additional 20mm of travel will cause the tire to hit the seat tube. The seat tube angle on the MSL is a bit slacker so there's less tire clearance available as well.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I know this is an old thread, but after reading it I decided to buy a set of 650b crest wheels and give them a go, my biggest fear was that it wouldn't be much different after spending the money. Well it is night and day, this thing is wicked now and I can't get the smile off my face. What I didn't like about my rsl 70 was the low bottom bracket and it was just too twitchy for me, could not be happier now. Also beating my Strava times consistently especially in the technical sections - Note: clearance not so good in mud but I am running 2.2 Ardent race tyres, so may go for a 2.0 on the back next time.