mtbr member

Rocky Mountain 'Altitude' 750

I'd like to hear any and all feedback.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Rad bike, solid price point (compared to a Norco/Bronson), very light, demo'd it and liked it better than the Bronson. Currently saving money to get one and came across a potential issue with the bushings. Apparently if you ride in really wet or really dry (silt) conditions the bushings can wear prematurely. NBD if it were a cheap DIY fix, but I've heard pricing can range between $150-400 for a full kit... for something that might not last a season.

While $150 is the price of a pair of pedals or a helmet, it's just one more thing to the mix and leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Also, I'm not sure if the $150 price is a bro deal, pretty sure MSRP is closer to $400. There's a thread in the RM forums talking about it all. Check it out.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    There is tons of info in a bunch of existing threads....
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Rad bike, solid price point (compared to a Norco/Bronson), very light, demo'd it and liked it better than the Bronson. Currently saving money to get one and came across a potential issue with the bushings. Apparently if you ride in really wet or really dry (silt) conditions the bushings can wear prematurely. NBD if it were a cheap DIY fix, but I've heard pricing can range between $150-400 for a full kit... for something that might not last a season.

While $150 is the price of a pair of pedals or a helmet, it's just one more thing to the mix and leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Also, I'm not sure if the $150 price is a bro deal, pretty sure MSRP is closer to $400. There's a thread in the RM forums talking about it all. Check it out.
    I don't have any wear on my pivots yet but the o-ring seals on the outside are starting to dry and crack after only 3 months of riding in dry, dusty conditions. New ones are on the way to my dealer at no charge and I'll probably end up stocking up on them. Rocky's ABC pivots are very light and very stiff but once those o-rings go, the bushings will get dirty and start to wear. If you continue to ignore the problem, the frame itself can be damaged.

Sealed bearings wear out too but ignoring bad bearings won't lead to frame damage, just poor suspension performance. Either way, normal maintenance is the smart thing to do.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. All of these new bikes are even newer to me.
    :-)
    Trying to figure out my best bet. Choices used to be easier when you knew what you wanted to do with a bike.
    I'm convinced that I no longer want or need a truly race-light XC, but not a heavy 'free-ride' as they were once called, either. Something still light enough to ride long and climb well, but decidedly easier on this aging body, as I intend to keep it up for many years to come.
    Honestly--there are an awful lot of choices. This is a good thing, but I need to get up to speed.
    I am, at this point, fairly set on a 27.5 wheel and what goes with that size. I believe I'd be more content over all with it as compared to 29 and it appears that 26 is on the way out. Might just as well get with the times.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    Thanks guys. All of these new bikes are even newer to me.
    :-)
    Trying to figure out my best bet. Choices used to be easier when you knew what you wanted to do with a bike.
    I'm convinced that I no longer want or need a truly race-light XC, but not a heavy 'free-ride' as they were once called, either. Something still light enough to ride long and climb well, but decidedly easier on this aging body, as I intend to keep it up for many years to come.
    Honestly--there are an awful lot of choices. This is a good thing, but I need to get up to speed.
    I am, at this point, fairly set on a 27.5 wheel and what goes with that size. I believe I'd be more content over all with it as compared to 29 and it appears that 26 is on the way out. Might just as well get with the times.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    yeah Buddy! A light-ish 650b bike with around 5" of travel will treat you right.

mtbr member
    I just got the Altitude 730, which is the bottom of the Altitude line. With pedals it weighed in at 30 lbs at my LBS. I plan to upgrade to X0 on everything except the rear cassette which will be XTR Ti. I think I can shed 3-4 lbs if I wanted but no big hurry for me. I've done some XC with it, very nice. I did 1 downhill trail as well and found the the tires roll over stuff smoother as well. I'm getting older as well and plan for this to be a keeper for a few years.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    yeah Buddy! A light-ish 650b bike with around 5" of travel will treat you right.
    Yes! My Solo should be here in a couple of weeks. Dropping two pounds off the build before it leaves the LBS. Keeping the XCc race bike for the buff singletrack. At 5'7", the 650b hits the sweet spot for me. Demo'd the Bronson, but it was more bike than I need. Love the wheel size though.

mtbr member
    Is there a great deal of difference between say a 2009 Altitude 70 and the new bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    Is there a great deal of difference between say a 2009 Altitude 70 and the new bikes?
    The rear suspension has been changed as well as the travel I do believe, along with the wheel size. I tried a friends older Altitude last year and didn't really enjoyed it. The ABC bushings are easy to maintain as well if its anything like the 2012 Elements. I replaced the rubber O rings on my Element to another type of material in the O ring and it works well on the Element so they are going onto the Altitude as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    The rear suspension has been changed as well as the travel I do believe, along with the wheel size. I tried a friends older Altitude last year and didn't really enjoyed it. The ABC bushings are easy to maintain as well if its anything like the 2012 Elements. I replaced the rubber O rings on my Element to another type of material in the O ring and it works well on the Element so they are going onto the Altitude as well.
    binrat, can you share more info on what you've replaced the O rings with?
    --
    If I work to pay for my rides - then why am I at work right now??

mtbr member
    I have the 730. I run xx1 and stans wheels and hubs. Bike is around 26 lbs. No issues with bearings. I have 200 miles on the bike. I do my own maintenance and keep things cleaned and lubed.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by amirh1 View Post
    binrat, can you share more info on what you've replaced the O rings with?
    Yes, please share details! Thanks!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."