T40 Stem
    Silverado saddle
    Ardent rubber
    xtr pedals
    TLD grips

-a hair under 25lbs

Rocky Mountain Altitude 650b-img_20130302_184613.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 650b-img_20130302_185826.jpg

I have Altitude Demos on their way to Pisgah, NC and we already have a handful of the Genius 650bs... Will see what feels best.

mtbr member
    Nice build. I was told the revelation forks are quite a bit lighter than the fox 34.

Have you taken it for a ride yet?

mtbr member
    Nice build.

mtbr member
    very nice...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Hey, what is the customer interest in the Genius'?
    I ordered an Altitude, but a friend who owns a shop is a little concerned about his Scott Genius order in terms of 'general public' interest in 650b.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

dwt
    mtbr member

Rocky Mountain Altitude 650b

Nice. Can't wait for Ride Report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Demo'd the rocky mountain altitude 650b today. Great fun; I kept thinking, This rides like a 29er but it so much fun. Smooth, liked to roll, like to roll over things, quick front end but very stable; did I say that it was smooth? Don't get me wrong, I love my 29er Ti hardtail, but this was quite the eye opener.
    Just kept the pedals turning going uphill and it was making small ledges and things I don't usually clear. Big, big smile.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Demo'd the rocky mountain altitude 650b today. Great fun; I kept thinking, This rides like a 29er but it so much fun. Smooth, liked to roll, like to roll over things, quick front end but very stable; did I say that it was smooth? Don't get me wrong, I love my 29er Ti hardtail, but this was quite the eye opener.
    Just kept the pedals turning going uphill and it was making small ledges and things I don't usually clear. Big, big smile.
    Interesting view from a 29er rider. What kind of terrain were you riding it on and was it part of your normal trails?

Thanks for sharing!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Interesting view from a 29er rider. What kind of terrain were you riding it on and was it part of your normal trails? Thanks for sharing!
    Walnut Creek Park in Austin, TX; primarily flow trails with occasional semi-technical bits (small ledges and drop offs -- in the 12 inch range). I can say it was like riding a 29er (nice roll over, felt very stable), but without having to wrangle the large front wheel; cornered nicely. For example, if I got slightly off my line climbing, I could correct more easily. Easier to loft front end* than my 29er. I would liked to have ridden it through a rock garden, but that's a different trail.
    Some things were quite different than my usual set up (XC) and of course more oriented to trail/AM;it's a demo and you just run what they brung:
    Big, meaty (2.35"?) Nobby Nick tires
    Wide, wide handle bars
    70mm stem
    Portly (~30lbs)
    Still a fun ride and I was very impressed by the quality and design of the Rocky Mtn. bikes. I would seriously consider 650B for my next bike, although I'd go for a more XC oriented ride; don't need so much long travel suspension on the trails that I do. Who knows, maybe Rocky Mountain bikes will have a XC 650b in the next few years. My previous bike (pre 29ers) was a snappy handling Titus Racer X, and I miss that sometimes, but I feel much more confident on the 29er. The 650b seems to have that balance of stability/quickness.

*Not popping wheelies, but just getting the tire a few inches off the ground.
    Last edited by June Bug; 03-25-2013 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

What was the Q for xx1

I was hoping to build up something extremely similar in a Large.
    Was wondering what xx1 version you put on. The xx1 has 2 Q factors 156 or 168. I would like to use the 156 with 175 crank arms but a little scared that it might not fit.

Thanks Chuck

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Some things were quite different than my usual set up (XC) I would seriously consider 650B for my next bike, although I'd go for a more XC oriented ride; don't need so much long travel suspension on the trails that I do. Who knows, maybe Rocky Mountain bikes will have a XC 650b in the next few years.
    For what it's worth, I believe the RM Element (can't remember if RSL/MSL?) will run 650's. Retrofit yes but the posts I've seen seem to be a good conversion. Might be a less expensive venture into the FS XC 650 world.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Looks light and nimble!

My poor man's alloy Altitude 750 came in last week, very capable though!

Stock & clean:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 650b-p4pb9288698.jpg

Little more custom & tested:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 650b-p4pb9288699.jpg
    Last edited by Mainturion; 03-15-2013 at 12:20 AM.

orthonormal
    Mine shipped from SLC to Truckee this morning, ETA at the shop is Monday. I'm going to head up a week from Saturday to pick it up.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Which did you order, Andy?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    which did you order, andy?
    790 msl

ohhman
    The Genius rides more like a 29" than the Alt. Being said the Altitude feels so much like a 26", light playful, snappy. There is a noticeable difference btw 29"/650b: uphill tech is a little more demanding, where the 29" keeps traction and has better approach. The ALT rides like a dream, just like the Element, it takes a few rides to get used to. Revelation: add Black Box Damper and your set. Meaty tires are necessary if you are coming from a 29" trail bike.... way less traction on the off camber. I planned on racing this bike on the BigMtn Enduro Series, but will probably sell it and go with Ibis Ripley W/ 140 fork or Transition. bandit 29 w/140 fork. Both can rally/climb/straight shoot, here in Pisgah like none other.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thank you. So you think the Altitude is way more fun than the Genius 700?
    On descends the Altitude is also the better ride?

dwt
    mtbr member

Rocky Mountain Altitude 650b

Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    790 msl
    I'm definitely looking forward to your ride report and review. From your past posts you sound like you know what you are doing pretty much. Let us know.

Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp View Post
    The Genius rides more like a 29" than the Alt. Being said the Altitude feels so much like a 26", light playful, snappy. There is a noticeable difference btw 29"/650b: uphill tech is a little more demanding, where the 29" keeps traction and has better approach. The ALT rides like a dream, just like the Element, it takes a few rides to get used to. Revelation: add Black Box Damper and your set. Meaty tires are necessary if you are coming from a 29" trail bike.... way less traction on the off camber. I planned on racing this bike on the BigMtn Enduro Series, but will probably sell it and go with Ibis Ripley W/ 140 fork or Transition. bandit 29 w/140 fork. Both can rally/climb/straight shoot, here in Pisgah like none other.
    I don't have much riding time on my 790 yet, but I definitely concur that the bike is incredibly snappy and connects the rider with the trail in that special Rocky way that many of us Rocky fans have come to love over the years. I don't think this is a bike you buy to make trails easier...this is a bike you buy to get the most fun out of every part of the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp View Post
    will probably sell it and go with Ibis Ripley W/ 140 fork or Transition. bandit 29 w/140 fork. Both can rally/climb/straight shoot, here in Pisgah like none other.
    Are you saying you've ridden a Ripley in Pisgah?

ohhman
    It is hard to compare the Rocky to the Scott, as I would want it set up so differently. A DB air on the scott would be awesome. The Rocky kills it DH. I have both at the shop in our demo fleet in Pisgah Forest, NC.....good grounds for comparison. Feedback, so far, is neutral. More 27.5 vs 29 searching going on. I am now sold completely on 650b for an AM bike.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I'm definitely looking forward to your ride report and review. From your past posts you sound like you know what you are doing pretty much. Let us know.

Only one ride so far, so my impressions are limited but I think it was a good trail for the bike. Lots of very rocky climbs and descents with smoother flowy parts in between. I love that RM selected 24-36 tooth chainrings up front rather than the larger sizes that nornally come with a double ring crankset. I haven't played with the ride 9 settings at all. It was in the neutral position for this first ride and I left both the fork and rear shock in the descend settings for the entire ride. Air pressures seemed to be spot on since I got full travel on some of the bigger hits. The fit was perfect for me. I was wondering if I'd want a longer top tube with the short stem but no, 585 mm was just right. It's exactly the same on all of my bikes and that's what I like. It felt like "my bike" from the moment I started riding.

Climbing: The bike climbs almost as well as an XC bike with no hint of front end wandering at all. Pretty impressive considering the 67.5 degree HA and 60 mm stem. Rocky really nailed the rider positioning there. It felt faster than my Epic 29 going up but of course I have no hard data to back that up.

Pedalling: The bike feels firm under power, even in descend mode, although I saw some motion at the rear shock when I looked down. No hint of pedal feedback regardless of gear selection.

The bike felt great blasting through rock gardens. Duh, it has 6" of travel. It would have been hugely disappointing if it didn't. It was super fun to carry so much speed through the rocks. I've mostly been riding a 29er SS with 100 mm fork, plus the Epic that I ride occasionally. It's been 3 years since I had a big bike (I had a 2005 Turner Six Pack).

Bottom bracket height: There's been lots of talk about the trend to lower BB heights and this was the first time I got to ride a bike like this somewhere that was really rocky. Yeah, I smacked the pedals several times. I was careful and ratcheted the pedals in the bigger rocks but I hit them unexpectedly in the smaller stuff. I'll get used to it soon enough. OTOH, carving through the flowy parts was amazing. Unbelievable traction.

The worst part of the day was a chainsuck incident. The chain can get wedged hard between the 24t chainring bolt end and the ISCG tab. For a minute, I thought I was going to have to pull the crankset right there on the trail but managed to pull it free. No visible damage to the carbon fiber frame.

I suppose I have to mention wheel size. I was never riding along thinking, "wow, this sure is different from my 29ers". The bike just worked really well. Maybe the wheels are a big part of the reason the Altitude feels better climbing than the Epic 29? I'm going to clean and tune the Epic and put it up for sale. The SS is sticking around but I have a feeling that the Altitude is going to become my main ride even for the smoother, 3000+ foot climbing days at Ft. Ord (Sea Otter area).

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    even tho chain retention with XX1 is improved, i still think on anything other than smooth, rolling terrain, it would be fool-hardy to not put a guide of some sort.

even a top-idler, XCX-type guide would prob have prevented your chainsuck.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    even tho chain retention with XX1 is improved, i still think on anything other than smooth, rolling terrain, it would be fool-hardy to not put a guide of some sort.

even a top-idler, XCX-type guide would prob have prevented your chainsuck.
    Mine's 2x10 with an X0 type 2 derailleur but in any case, the chainsuck happened on a climb so I don't know how much a retention device would have helped (never used one, maybe it would have?). I started in my 24t ring because the bottom part of the climb was so rocky, then tried to shift into the 36t ring when it smoothed out. Probably not the best move on my part but I didn't expect the chain to drop to the inside while shifting up to the bigger ring.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice writeup/review for ride #1. I would be very interested to see you change the Ride 9 to a steeper HA setting which also will increase the BB height. It should help with the pedal strikes and in theory improve the climbing performance even more. Takes 5 minutes so give it a try at least and see for yourself on that same loop.....but I really want to know.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast