mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Riser Handelbars

I'm in the process of getting parts for my new 96er, and I notice that many 29ers, don't use a riser bar. What up with that, I love having a riser bar on my 26-XC rig and wonder what reasons you would have for not running a riser bar on a big wheeler? Any input on this would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    it's purely personal preference.

that being said....

if you have a 29er next to a 26er and all other things being equal, the 29er's bar level is going to be ~1.5 inches higher. (and they are usually not , but just saying, things like: stems, h-bars, stack spacers, steer tube lengths, fork travel, tire width)

sooooo, if you're used to riding a hardtail with an 80mm fork/2.1 tire/whatever bar/stem/spacers, and get a 29er hardtail w/80mm fork/2.1 tire and transfer your stem/bars/spacers over, the bar height will be alot higher than you're used to, and you'd end up swapping out a flat bar, or move the stem all the way down, or flip it, or any any combination of those to achieve what feels best to you....

there's no "right" way to do it....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

just wanted to add

probably a moot point now, but you're doing a 96er right?

so say you're used to riding a hardtail with a 5" fork, and you convert it to a 29er front wheel w/80mm fork, your cockpit is going to stay roughly the same, bar/stem/spacers being equal...however you still may want to make adjustments...

the new Gilbert Grape
    A riser give you nothing more than a higher bar. So if you need your bar to be higher, use it.

The height of the bar above the saddle should remain about the same as your current set up. Whatever it takes to get there is correct.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.